Language test

Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

GinaMontana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Language test

Hi people

I need some guidance on Canada's immigration. Do I need to take a Language test? I was born and bred in England, my first language is English, and I completed my degree in the UK in psychology. If I do need to take a Language test can someone advice, where I can take one

Regards

Gina
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:22 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language test

Hi Gina and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Canada can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I can't answer your question for you I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

Alistair.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gina, and welcome to the forum.

Have you applied as a Skilled Worker already? If you applied before the 26th June then you don't need to take a test, but if you haven't yet applied then I'm afraid you do need to take an English test (plus obviously a French test if you are claiming any points for French language). Since the 26th June everybody has to, even native English speakers.

If you go to the CIC website, it has a list of the IELTS centres, so you can choose your nearest one and find out how to book the test. You need to submit your results with the rest of your supporting docs when you apply.

And there is usually a wait of a few weeks for a test slot, so best to get it booked asap so that you can submit your application quickly before the quota is reached for your occupation.

Good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:30 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Since the 26th June everybody has to, even native English speakers.

Good luck.
How stupid .... one more way for them to make money and make you jump through hoops.

Now I have to go delete my last post!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. CIC don't run the IELTS, so there's no financial benefit to them. The common theory was that it delayed everyones application by about 2 months, allowing them to catch up with the backlog. Not only that, but it seemed like they had a genuine problem with non-native speakers submitting fraudulent proof of proficiency. It's a pain, and really I think they should've just made it a requirement for all non-english speaking countries, but ultimately we just have to do what they ask.

Anyway here is a place where you can find your nearest test centre:
http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_inf...st_centre.aspx
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

GinaMontana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone
I will book the test as soon as possible. Does anyone know if it is difficult??
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:52 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaMontana
Thank you everyone
I will book the test as soon as possible. Does anyone know if it is difficult??
OH did his in August and found the practice materials very helpful; their marking scheme is odd and the way you are asked to present the answers might fluster you if you have not seen it before. There's a practice CD and also examples of their marking on the writing. The materials are about a tenner from the IELTS site - I passed ours on to another applicant or else you could have had ours.
Otherwise it is not HARD. The listening test does go very fast, though and you have to be quite on the ball.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

You can get all the practice materials you need from any good library usually for free. Thats what I did anyway. I agree with helcat, the listening test is really nastily fast. I screwed up a couple of answers that way. Still got 8.5 though
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I will probably do the English test anyway, however, if an applicant has 67+ points anway without including the language points would that be acceptable or is there a minimum number of points required in the language catagory?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:34 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
I will probably do the English test anyway, however, if an applicant has 67+ points anway without including the language points would that be acceptable or is there a minimum number of points required in the language catagory?
YOU CANNOT AVOID THE LANGUAGE TEST.The points you have already are irrelevant. You MUST take a Language test if you are applying under Cat 1 or 2 as of the June changes.
If you send your application without the certificate of results, you'll be getting it returned to you in a hurry!
Look at the points calculator (which you obviously already know about)on the CIC website and it will list the points you get for each level achieved on the IELTS test.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Not really. CIC don't run the IELTS, so there's no financial benefit to them. The common theory was that it delayed everyones application by about 2 months, allowing them to catch up with the backlog. Not only that, but it seemed like they had a genuine problem with non-native speakers submitting fraudulent proof of proficiency. It's a pain, and really I think they should've just made it a requirement for all non-english speaking countries, but ultimately we just have to do what they ask.

Anyway here is a place where you can find your nearest test centre:
http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_inf...st_centre.aspx
It's more about getting something authentic from people from the Third World, some of whom have their documents forged.