Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing vs arriving permanently proceedural questions

Wikiposts

Landing vs arriving permanently proceedural questions

Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:31 am
Just Joined

londonwe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing vs arriving permanently proceedural questions

Hi all,

I am delighted our application went through in 3.5 months for spousal sponsorship - well impressed with process. I will travel with our child ahead of my husband & be in Canada for when he 'Lands'. He will activate his PR but will return to UK to settle things up. I understand that it is better if he has list of goods to follow (just in case) but not essential. When do we declare bank accounts is that part of the 'landing' process as i haven't found much related to that?

Also if i find a job on my trip over, I may like stay while husband comes back to settle things. Can i do that as a returning resident if i did not declare that upon arrival? Or do i need to re-enter & declare goods & bank accounts? Does my daughter born in UK but having Canadian citizenship need to declare returning resident at immigration?

Is there a government document with this info?

Thanks,
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:42 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing vs arriving permanently proceedural questions

When you activate you visa, that is landing permanently as far as the authorities are concerned. That is the (only) time to deal with proof of funds and goods to follow.

If you intend to bring your belongings over later, having registered your goods to follow is essential to avoid paying duty on you own stuff later on.

Im not sure how this works is hes the primary applicant but you are landing first, I seem to recall reading here that its better (essential?) for the primary applicant to be in the first wave as it were, but it wouldnt be the first time Ive been wrong...

If your daughter is a canadian citizen and you have the paperwork to show that then you need nothing more for her.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 6th 2012 at 12:44 am.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you are the Canadian citizen then you can work as soon as you get back.
Your goods will fall under Former Resident of Canada provided you previously lived in Canada, and you should read this link
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5087-eng.html
Your OH can make the landing but if not establishing a residence straight off then they should inform CBSA of this and explain that goods will be arriving at a later date as per this link
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5113-eng.html
I wouldnt worry about the proof of funds if neither establishing a residence when you arrive initially as no proof of funds is required for a returning resident and Im assuming the house has not yet sold.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
When you activate you visa, that is landing permanently as far as the authorities are concerned. That is the (only) time to deal with proof of funds and goods to follow.

If you intend to bring your belongings over later, having registered your goods to follow is essential to avoid paying duty on you own stuff later on.

Im not sure how this works is hes the primary applicant but you are landing first, I seem to recall reading here that its better (essential?) for the primary applicant to be in the first wave as it were, but it wouldnt be the first time Ive been wrong...

If your daughter is a canadian citizen and you have the paperwork to show that then you need nothing more for her.
It sounds like she is a Canadian citizen. She mentioned spousal sponsorship (presumably she is sponsoring her husband) and the fact that her UK born daughter is also a Canadian citizen (presumably by descent through the mother).
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It sounds like she is a Canadian citizen. She mentioned spousal sponsorship (presumably she is sponsoring her husband) and the fact that her UK born daughter is also a Canadian citizen (presumably by descent through the mother).
good point... dont mind me then