Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing in Toronto and moving to Quebec

Wikiposts

Landing in Toronto and moving to Quebec

Old May 30th 2005, 12:33 am
Just Joined

baigmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing in Toronto and moving to Quebec

I have landing papers for Toronto.

Can I land in Toronto and then move to Quebec and get the PR card made from Quebec.
Becoz I am planing to move from Toronto to Montreal within a week after landing.

Is this possible.

Thanks
Old May 30th 2005, 1:16 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in Toronto and moving to Quebec

Originally Posted by baigmd
I have landing papers for Toronto.

Can I land in Toronto and then move to Quebec and get the PR card made from Quebec.
Becoz I am planing to move from Toronto to Montreal within a week after landing.

Is this possible.

Thanks
You will have problems since you do not appear to have applied through the Quebec Immigration Service. Without their selection certificate you can expect difficulties.
Old May 30th 2005, 6:16 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You will have problems since you do not appear to have applied through the Quebec Immigration Service. Without their selection certificate you can expect difficulties.
U may have problems with some of their services but settling witl be no trouble
Old May 30th 2005, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

What kind of difficulties can I expect? Will I be able to get the PR card from Quebec.

Please guide...thanks
Old May 30th 2005, 4:57 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You are asked for Canadian address to mail PR Card to during your landing process. If you provide address in Quebec then expect problems with landing if you don't have CSQ.

What kind of difficulties can I expect? Will I be able to get the PR card from Quebec.

Please guide...thanks
Old May 30th 2005, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

How about if I submit the address after landing

thanks
Old May 30th 2005, 5:31 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Try and you'll find out.

How about if I submit the address after landing

thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:51 am
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds pretty foolish. I know people who have done it, but they were always smart enough to stay outside of QC until they get their PR card and SIN number. Th PR cards are only taking 3 weeks these days, and you can always have the SIN card sent later by a friend if you are impatient. The first number of your SIN number reflects your province of residence and will prove that at least you complied with your original intention to reside in Ontario. Why create problems for yourself?
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Jill-D is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Inspace,

Are you sure the first number reflects the province of residence? I have 5 in my SIN, When I submitted my SIN to my employer, he was wondered if I am going to move to Ontario, but BC was, is and will be my province of residence. In the meantime, my son (a PR) and my daughter who born here in Vancouver all have 7 in their SIN, which is a number for BC?

>impatient. The first number of your SIN number reflects your province of >residence and will prove that at least you complied with your original >intention to reside in Ontario. Why create problems for yourself?[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 6:36 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Jill-D
Hi, Inspace,

Are you sure the first number reflects the province of residence? I have 5 in my SIN, When I submitted my SIN to my employer, he was wondered if I am going to move to Ontario, but BC was, is and will be my province of residence. In the meantime, my son (a PR) and my daughter who born here in Vancouver all have 7 in their SIN, which is a number for BC?

>impatient. The first number of your SIN number reflects your province of >residence and will prove that at least you complied with your original >intention to reside in Ontario. Why create problems for yourself?
[/QUOTE]

7 for BC, but when the SINs were first issued they were applied for the company's head office, for example I was working in BC when I applied in the 60s, but it was routed through the company head office, so my no. starts with a 6.

PMM
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 6:58 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jill-D
Hi, Inspace,

That is still true, but as PMM points out, its not totally waterproof.

9 is for temporary residents
5 for Ontario
I think 0 is issued overseas...further west you go the higher the number I believe.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:32 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
That is still true, but as PMM points out, its not totally waterproof.

9 is for temporary residents
5 for Ontario
I think 0 is issued overseas...further west you go the higher the number I believe.
Born and raised in Ontario my SIN number does not begin with a 5.