Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing, then returning temporarily shortly thereafter

Landing, then returning temporarily shortly thereafter

Old Jul 5th 2017, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing, then returning temporarily shortly thereafter

I have been trying to work out what is the best thing to do for my landing.

My COPR is imminent (which came through much faster than we thought it would - my application was assigned to Ottawa), but I won't be landing until towards the end of this year. I have a business trip to Canada in November, and then my Canadian spouse sponsor and I will be heading back to Canada just before Christmas for Canadian family Christmas. We won't be settling permanently back in Canada until sometime next year, after our affairs here in Australia are wound up.

My current plan is to land on my November business trip, rather than on the Christmas trip (because that's going to busy - right from arriving at YVR!!!). But I am second guessing that now, as it appears I would have to apply for a PRTD to come back for the Christmas trip as I won't have received my PR card before Christmas.

I do have an ETA which is currently valid until 2022, but I've been reading that there are reports of ETAs being cancelled once PR is granted. Of course I don't want to have boarding denied for the Christmas trip!

So I'm thinking that landing at Christmas is the best bet (and hoping that the delays for immigration processing a few days before Christmas won't be too ghastly!). This means that I can then await receipt of my PR card without too many dramas.

Has anyone here had a similar experience / advice on this?
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing, then returning temporarily shortly thereafter

Originally Posted by MelVan
I have been trying to work out what is the best thing to do for my landing.

My COPR is imminent (which came through much faster than we thought it would - my application was assigned to Ottawa), but I won't be landing until towards the end of this year. I have a business trip to Canada in November, and then my Canadian spouse sponsor and I will be heading back to Canada just before Christmas for Canadian family Christmas. We won't be settling permanently back in Canada until sometime next year, after our affairs here in Australia are wound up.

My current plan is to land on my November business trip, rather than on the Christmas trip (because that's going to busy - right from arriving at YVR!!!). But I am second guessing that now, as it appears I would have to apply for a PRTD to come back for the Christmas trip as I won't have received my PR card before Christmas.

I do have an ETA which is currently valid until 2022, but I've been reading that there are reports of ETAs being cancelled once PR is granted. Of course I don't want to have boarding denied for the Christmas trip!

So I'm thinking that landing at Christmas is the best bet (and hoping that the delays for immigration processing a few days before Christmas won't be too ghastly!). This means that I can then await receipt of my PR card without too many dramas.

Has anyone here had a similar experience / advice on this?
In your position, I would definitely go for landing on your Christmas trip. You will find that the landing experience is pretty smooth. The only delay is the number of people also landing in front of you (which is the luck of the draw - when we landed there was no line at all)
Old Jul 5th 2017, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing, then returning temporarily shortly thereafter

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
In your position, I would definitely go for landing on your Christmas trip. You will find that the landing experience is pretty smooth. The only delay is the number of people also landing in front of you (which is the luck of the draw - when we landed there was no line at all)
Cheers. Much appreciated.