Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing and then returning back to UK

Landing and then returning back to UK

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Fiona Shearer has a spectacular aura aboutFiona Shearer has a spectacular aura aboutFiona Shearer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Landing and then returning back to UK

We are flying with Zoom but we are going on the 16th from Glasgow!

I am also my hubby's sponsor and I am just going to go on the assumption that I may be part of the landing process. If not then at least I was prepared. The list needs to include cost of items - does that mean everything from clothes, ornaments etc... or is it just big stuff like any furniture? sorry for the questions but I just want to have everything the way they want it.

My parents are moving back to Ontario and all my friends and my sister is there so that's where we want to be. Hope everything works out for you guys... Have fun in October!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road

Ladies

You are right. You are kinda of part of the landing process as regards physically been present in Canada. Your partners cannot complete their landing process without you guys taking up residence back in Canada b4 or at the time of their landing!!

I was so looking forward to Fiona saying she was going to land on the 14th of October too

Good luck with it all.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

beckington will become famous soon enoughbeckington will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kki6
I was so looking forward to Fiona saying she was going to land on the 14th of October too
Now that really would have been insane!

So we are part of the landing process, but I still don't think I'm landing in October. I'm sure Biiiink said she did up her own list for when they did the actual move, which was after her partner landed. As you can tell, I really don't want to have to figure out a goods to follow list in the next 3 weeks!!!

I think I need to talk to someone official! I'm soooooooooooo confused!
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Fiona Shearer has a spectacular aura aboutFiona Shearer has a spectacular aura aboutFiona Shearer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by beckington
Now that really would have been insane!

So we are part of the landing process, but I still don't think I'm landing in October. I'm sure Biiiink said she did up her own list for when they did the actual move, which was after her partner landed. As you can tell, I really don't want to have to figure out a goods to follow list in the next 3 weeks!!!

I think I need to talk to someone official! I'm soooooooooooo confused!

Yeah we're pretty confused too... We have begun the 'emptying the loft' process this weekend. holy lots of crap batman!! We have decided to be ruthless and dump a lot of stuff that we only see once a year and go 'aww i remember this...' as we fill our official moving boxes I am just writing down what we put into them. I have also started a list for each room - stuff that we're taking and stuff we're not. That way, come October (3 weeks today!) we will both land and produce our goods to follow list as one big list. I am assuming that this may be the best way to do it. Any comments on this way are of course welcome...
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Marcingy has a spectacular aura aboutMarcingy has a spectacular aura aboutMarcingy has a spectacular aura about

Have been reading this thread and we seem to be in a similar position. We are landing in Vancouver 20th October and then my partner is returning home 7 days later to tidy up some lose ends in the UK. She will then return at the start of December. Our goods to follow list will consist of the items that my partner will be returning with when she lands permanently.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

beckington will become famous soon enoughbeckington will become famous soon enough

OK, so this is what I've figured out. My mom has been talking to various customs and immigration people in Canada, bless her!

I am not part of my husband's landing process, even though I sponsored him. I don't have to be with him when he lands. We could seperate at the airport and immigration and customs would never know that I'm there and that would be fine (though unnecessary). So while husband is officially landing, I am not - I am just on holiday from immigration and customs point of view, which means I do not have to do my goods to follow list for this trip. I should do my goods to follow list when I really am a returning resident coming back to live in Canada, which hopefully will be in January (just accepted an offer on the house, though trying not to get too excited with all the horror stories I've heard!).

So, that's settled. We will do the list later! Really did not want to have to sort this out within the next two weeks

Hope that info helps someone.

Charmaine
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckington
OK, so this is what I've figured out. My mom has been talking to various customs and immigration people in Canada, bless her!

I am not part of my husband's landing process, even though I sponsored him. I don't have to be with him when he lands. We could seperate at the airport and immigration and customs would never know that I'm there and that would be fine (though unnecessary). So while husband is officially landing, I am not - I am just on holiday from immigration and customs point of view, which means I do not have to do my goods to follow list for this trip. I should do my goods to follow list when I really am a returning resident coming back to live in Canada, which hopefully will be in January (just accepted an offer on the house, though trying not to get too excited with all the horror stories I've heard!).

So, that's settled. We will do the list later! Really did not want to have to sort this out within the next two weeks

Hope that info helps someone.

Charmaine

Hi Charmaine... Fiona here again... Thanks for that (and your mom!). I do have another question though (sorry ). When your husband lands in October does he need to produce a goods to follow list for himself? I am half way through our 'stuff' and after reading your post I am wondering if I really need to now if we aren't actually moving until april next year.

Also have you looked into shipping your stuff over? I have been on some other posts on the site and have got a bit of info on cost etc... but just wondered if you had done anything about that.

Good luck with the sell of your house! I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly for you.

Cheers... Fiona
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Hi Fiona

From what I understand, he only needs to do a goods to follow list for things that he owns himself, and isn't jointly owned by us - however, I know Biiiink's experience shows that customs seems to just prefer one list anyhow, so I'm not sure how that works. In our case there really isn't anything that is solely owned by him so it's not an issue. I have no idea how customs would know who owns what anyhow - I suppose in the case of cars etc?

We haven't looked into shipping yet. Will need to start ASAP though! We just didn't believe that it was ever going to happen so haven't bothered. I think I'll start looking through some old threads!

Charmaine