Landing, then to return to UK

Old May 22nd 2005, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

SunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really nice
Default Landing, then to return to UK

Hi,
Does anyone know if there is any problems in doing this ?.
Our plan is to go to Canada for 3 weeks holiday and get our Landed Status.
We then plan to return within 2 years (whilst our son finishes his secondary education).

The only rule we can see is that we have to complete 3 years residency in Canada within a 5 year period (thus giving us the 2 yrs we need).

Thanx,
SS
Old May 22nd 2005, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

carrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud of
Default Re: Landing, then to return to UK

Originally Posted by SunnySussex
Hi,
We then plan to return within 2 years (whilst our son finishes his secondary education).

The only rule we can see is that we have to complete 3 years residency in Canada within a 5 year period (thus giving us the 2 yrs we need).

Thanx,
SS
As i believe it you have a year to land from medicals being done so that might give you some extra time, but mind you im not an expert, so dont know if this info helps you or not
Old May 22nd 2005, 1:08 pm

KRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanx,
SS
We are doing this, we landed at Easter and returned. We will move permanently when my daughter finishes school in June 2006.
Old May 22nd 2005, 5:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

You must complete 2 years in Canada in the first 5 years. So if you wait more than 3 years to return, your PR is gone.

For a stress-free life, 2 years back in the UK is the *maximum* you should contemplate.

Have you got a Canadian friend or relative whose address you can use to get a PR Card sent to? If not, you will either need to get a Travel Document (TD) back in the UK, or use your British passports on their own to return to Canada and then present yourselves as PRs at Immigration.

As the British citizen passport is eligible for the visa waiver, it's generally possible to board a Canada bound flight without a PR Card or TD but this can never be guaranteed especially if flying on a one-way ticket. It may also depend on the airline (eg Air Canada says the passport alone is ok if it's visa-waiver eligible).

Jeremy
Old May 22nd 2005, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Hi,

Thanx,
SS
I was told (by the Delegation of Quebec) that that's fine to do as long as you fulfill the visa conditions. Also I thought it was 2 years out of 5 to keep the visa valid and I think 3 years for citizenship?
Old May 22nd 2005, 7:29 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I am seriously starting to think about doing the same. The longer it takes to hear about medicals the more difficult our decision is. Daughter is doing GCSE's We hoped to start her in High School in September this year. This is just not going to happen now. so realistically it would be January 2006 that would be a "good time" However she would then started A levels. Bearing in mind by jan 05 she will only realistically have 18 months left to complete.
I am beginning to thing it is may be more benfeficial for her to complete UK education to same standard, than find herself at bottom or trying to catch up and doing all the subjects she is glad to see the back of to get credits she needs for Canadian system.
Then if she is still happy to come permanetly she can go to college or UNI, where she will start a single subject course and not feel so different.
As there is a chance she may come back to Uk in future anyway it seems best to give continuity to education.
When I think it is 20 months since we first contemplated emigrating , I realise how quick the time has actually one by. Problem is my daughter has loads of friends who are not looking forward to her going anyway. She has a wonderful job at a Sealife Park, which she loves, and although she is keen to go to Canada now, i am not sure if we stay here another 2 years if she will feel the same in future

Hi,

Thanx,
SS