Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing soon - Customs - Goods max amount + other questions too...

Landing soon - Customs - Goods max amount + other questions too...

Old Jul 25th 2002, 4:20 pm
Flamboyant

Default Landing soon - Customs - Goods max amount + other questions too...

Hi,

A few questions:

I am planning to land in Canada early next week & wanted some input about this
from experts.

(1) Does anyone know the upperlimit for the amount in Canadian dollars worth of goods
that a new immigrant is allowed to take / declare in the "goods to follow" &
"goods with me" list.

(2) Also it would be nice if someone could clarify if latest Bank statements in USD
is sufficient & acceptable as Proof of funds at the Airport POE or are Banker
cheques needed for the same.

(3) Will I have to take cash in CAD to apply for PR card at the POE or is payment in
USD acceptable. Any ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 30th 2002, 3:21 pm
Klmok

Default Re: Landing soon - Customs - Goods max amount + other questions too...

On 25 Jul 2002 20:32:06 -0700, [email protected] (Flamboyant) wrote:

>Hi,
    >
    >A few questions:
    >
    >I am planning to land in Canada early next week & wanted some input about this
    >from experts.
    >
    >(1) Does anyone know the upperlimit for the amount in Canadian dollars worth of
    > goods that a new immigrant is allowed to take / declare in the "goods to follow"
    > & "goods with me" list.

There is no limit for goods that are from your household. Be reasonable. The best
proof is photos taken of them (eg, furniture) as they appeared in your house. Too
many new expensive luxury goods, eg a brand new Mercedes car won't meet this
criterion and you will be taxed on that. Some luxury goods like jewelery is
acceptable and will be allowed but again be reasonable. Don't bring enough to stock a
small jewelry shop.
    >
    >(2) Also it would be nice if someone could clarify if latest Bank statements in USD
    > is sufficient & acceptable as Proof of funds at the Airport POE or are Banker
    > cheques needed for the same.

Five or ten thousands in Travellers' cheques should be enough proof that you can pay
your immediate bills. That's the important proof. Bank statements are acceptable as
proof that you won't hit the welfare rolls soon should they be picky. Once you leave
airport immigration they don't care.
    >
    >(3) Will I have to take cash in CAD to apply for PR card at the POE or is payment in
    > USD acceptable. Any ideas?

I don't know the acronyms. USD funds are okay so long as they are liquid, that is you
can cash them immediately to pay for immediate expenses.
    >
    >Any help will be greatly appreciated.