Wikiposts

Landing refused

Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:18 pm
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landing refused

Dude
I think you have to get professional advice - I am not sure what the rules are re becoming a PR and then potentially leaving for an extended period and actually being a PR in Ireland (more than 183 days per year) and you are probably not going to considered resident in Canada either.

Outside of my knowledge as I have no intention of leaving other than for short holidays once I get my PR.

Good luck though. I feel your stress.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Re: Landing refused

ummmmm, why didn't you just give them the NS address in the first place? If you are leaving Montreal on monday and not going back, you don't want your PR card posted there anyway, do you?

<disclaimer - I am easily confused...>
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

devilabit is an unknown quantity at this point

AFAIK leaving Canada as a PR for longer than 6 months is not an issue, you must accumulate two years of "residency days" in each 5 period in order to meet your PR obligations.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by debbiem
ummmmm, why didn't you just give them the NS address in the first place? If you are leaving Montreal on monday and not going back, you don't want your PR card posted there anyway, do you?
<disclaimer - I am easily confused...>
To be honest I've had so much going on that I did not have anytime to do research before trying to "land" so I had forgotten that I needed to provide an address to post the PR card to, stupid I know. This whole saga has just added extra pain to an already stressful time.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzoon
Sorry for interruption,
what do you mean no benefits for newcomers?
I am landing in Toronto and would move to Quebec if I got a job there.
What benefits wouldn't I be eligible in Quebec?
Quebec always had and still has various free programs helping newcomers adapt - like for example free French courses. Many of them are free only to CSQ holders. You need to check Quebec government website for up to date details at the time you will be making a decision of moving there.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The OP is living in Montreal, he doesn't have a CSQ, he attempted to give a facilitation address in Ontario. IO sees he is resident in Quebec and rightly refuses "landing"
Perhaps what's needed is some evidence that Quebec residence is being terminated? (left job, surrendered lease on apartment, etc)? If the original poster is really moving out of Quebec, this should not be a problem to provide.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Well today was much more successful and I landed as a PR this morning. Phew!!!

I went across to the Canadian side first and asked to speak to an IO about doing a PR landing. The IO that met me was very nice, listened to what I had to say and understood my situation. I was very honest and upfront, even explaining the Cornwall fiasco in case it was on file. All the IO asked for was to see proof of my flight home and I also showed the IO a receipt for shipping my stuff home to be extra sure. Once I proved that I was leaving Quebec the IO had no problem processing me. The IO even went on to say that if I was to stay in Quebec it would cause me problems in the long run and that trying to outsmart the system would not be worth the trouble so I think that the fact I went to IM in Quebec(well the second time) showed the IO that I wasnt trying to get an easy way into Quebec.

I was much better prepared this time, had proof to go along with my story and gave my common in-law partners parents address in NS. All in all driving from Montreal to St bernard de lacolle, landing and going back to Montreal took less than 2 hours! Its kind of ironic that I was able to land in Quebec and not Ontario. I didnt even have to do the flagpolling which made things even easier.

The IO found it hard to believe what happened in Cornwall and especially the reasoning for declining to land me. Im glad that whole incident is now behind me.

Thanks to everyone for their help, especially amrskipro for the advice on talking to an IO first.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:42 am
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

You're welcome, glad it worked for you, safe travels.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Congratulations on landing. What a relieve.

Ray
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:43 am
Just Joined

One thing that the IO mentioned was that not to get someone to give me the PR card before returning to Canada, instead contact London and get a Travel Document. Is there a reason for this or will it be ok for me to use my PR the next time i enter Canada?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by devilabit
One thing that the IO mentioned was that not to get someone to give me the PR card before returning to Canada, instead contact London and get a Travel Document. Is there a reason for this or will it be ok for me to use my PR the next time i enter Canada?
IO will always tell you that. Officially they dont' like PR cards mailed outside Canada. Mine was and many others have their's mailed outside Canada. So I won't worry about it. Unless it is lost in the mail. You may want to have the card FedEx'ed

Ray