Wikiposts

Landing refused

Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:51 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing refused

It's the " providing an address in Ontario " bit that is really strange

you are under no obligation to remain in the province in which you land
people with connecting flights etc land in different provinces all the time and some provinces don't have land borders with other countries

Either you got an immigration officer who had no clue what they were doing or something raised alarm bells with them
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

This is what usually happens when people for some stupid reason or for no reason decide to not being honest and try to "outsmart" the system... crazy man... crazy...
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:16 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
It's the " providing an address in Ontario " bit that is really strange

you are under no obligation to remain in the province in which you land
people with connecting flights etc land in different provinces all the time and some provinces don't have land borders with other countries

Either you got an immigration officer who had no clue what they were doing or something raised alarm bells with them
The OP is living in Montreal, he doesn't have a CSQ, he attempted to give a facilitation address in Ontario. IO sees he is resident in Quebec and rightly refuses "landing"
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The OP is living in Montreal, he doesn't have a CSQ, he attempted to give a facilitation address in Ontario. IO sees he is resident in Quebec and rightly refuses "landing"
But why, he has a WP so isn't illegal in Quebec, he hasn't applied to emigrate to Quebec but to Canada, so surely he can go to Ontario if he wants??
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:39 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by fledermaus
But why, he has a WP so isn't illegal in Quebec, he hasn't applied to emigrate to Quebec but to Canada, so surely he can go to Ontario if he wants??
The argument would go in circles, has job, resident in Montreal would you believe that he is actually going to reside in Ontario? Quebec as an agreement, that they will choose their own immigrants,workers and students.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The argument would go in circles, has job, resident in Montreal would you believe that he is actually going to reside in Ontario? Quebec as an agreement, that they will choose their own immigrants,workers and students.
Oh, I see so they are thinking he will go back to Montreal to work. But when we arrived with PR and landed at Pearson, we could then decide to move to Quebec without being chosen by that Province. I thought PR meant you could live anywhere in Canada.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:45 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Oh, I see so they are thinking he will go back to Montreal to work. But when we arrived with PR and landed at Pearson, we could then decide to move to Quebec without being chosen by that Province. I thought PR meant you could live anywhere in Canada.
That's what I thought too , the CSQ limits you to Quebec but I wasn't aware that you couldn't move to Quebec without it.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Manek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

I am on TWP in Ontario. As my situation has changed need to go to Montreal frequently.
Now I have a copy of CAQ. So do you think I must go to Quebec border for location changes or any border is fine?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
That's what I thought too , the CSQ limits you to Quebec but I wasn't aware that you couldn't move to Quebec without it.
You can move to Quebec without CSQ - but first you must land in any other Province and demonstrate intentions to live anywhere in Canada except Quebec. Then, after such landing, you can buy another plane/train/bus ticket and go straight to Quebec. But without CSQ you won't be eligible for some Quebec benefits for newcomers.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:11 am
Just Joined

devilabit is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok what do people suggest I do tomorrow when I go to the border?

1) Do i go to a border in Quebec or Ontario?

2) What do I say? If I say Im leaving Canada on Monday they are likely to decline to land me. I really dont want to tell a fib but in my situation the truth even sounds hard to believe!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:31 am
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by devilabit
Ok what do people suggest I do tomorrow when I go to the border?

1) Do i go to a border in Quebec or Ontario? go to border in ontario , you can't land in quebec without CSQ

2) What do I say? If I say Im leaving Canada on Monday they are likely to decline to land me. I really dont want to tell a fib but in my situation the truth even sounds hard to believe!
why do you think they will refuse you if you say you are leaving Canada on monday ? Loads of people activate PR and then leave a short time after

I would suggest telling the truth as trying to play games with them is what got you into this situation in the first place
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:02 am
Just Joined

I think they will refuse because the IO told me that she would only land me if I could prove to her that I live in Ontario. The problem with my first attempt is that they did not like the truth when I told them that I lived in Montreal but I was leaving on Monday and that I wanted to land/active my PR before I leave.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 7:57 am
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

And that conversation will be on their file now making it more difficult for you next time.

They are security trained people, they know when something does not add up. I would not be surprised if they refused just for treating them as if they were stupid or incompetant!

You have created a rod for your own back now. As you appear to have no right to land in Quebec at this stage I think you need some professional advice as to how to manage it legally.

You could always drive to a border crossing (probably not the one you already 'confused') and enter the Canadian side first and explain what you were trying to achieve and ask them what is the correct and right way to achieve it (people feel empowered if you ask them for their advice and expertise).

That is what I did when I had to change conditions/ get new TWP last year. I spoke to the Canadian side, asked what I had to do to be re-admitted properly and activate my visa/ TWP, walked over the US side, walked back to Canada, was straight lined to the same immigration officer who overlooked the fact that according to the paperwork I had (passport & LMO) I had overstayed my welcome by two days as I was stupid enough to leave my extension/ change of conditions paperwork (which had not reached Vegreville so there was no proof in the computer) on my dining table at home. Because I had been honest and up front I was re-admitted and given my new TWP despite 'technically' being an overstay (based on the proof I could present at the time).

Hopefully one of the Imm Consultants that hang out on the forum can guide you straight. Good luck either way.

Last edited by amrskipro; Jun 25th 2010 at 7:59 am.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:22 am
Just Joined

I do like your suggestion to go and ask for advice on the Canadian side first. I could try and explain the situation of how I have to go home on Monday for personal reasons(my common-in-law partner got a job she couldnt refuse), that I have postponed moving to Vancouver for now but I would still like to activate my PR before I leave so that we can return in a few years. I could then give them my girlfriends parents address in Nova Scotia. I would consider doing this on the quebec side, I have dealt with them before and found them very helpful. I would also bring proof that I have shipped my stuff already from Montreal and I could show them a one way flight back to Ireland, surely that would be enough to convince them that I dont intend to settle in Montreal.

Does this sound like a better approach?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

ozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crazy72
But without CSQ you won't be eligible for some Quebec benefits for newcomers.

Sorry for interruption,
what do you mean no benefits for newcomers?
I am landing in Toronto and would move to Quebec if I got a job there.
What benefits wouldn't I be eligible in Quebec?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.