COPR document delivery method

Old Oct 3rd 2017, 10:41 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default COPR document delivery method

Sorry if this is a silly question but we received an online letter yesterday via the myCIC account that confirmed our COPR. However all it seems to consist of is a letter with our names on it (twice each) plus UCI's and landing expiry dates and an FAQ sheet about settlement, medical cover etc.

The letter mentions a document that should be signed at the border when instructed but that hasn't been included so far as I can see. Does anyone know if they send that separately through the post or is this a mistake that I need to email them about?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COPR document delivery method

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Sorry if this is a silly question but we received an online letter yesterday via the myCIC account that confirmed our COPR. However all it seems to consist of is a letter with our names on it (twice each) plus UCI's and landing expiry dates and an FAQ sheet about settlement, medical cover etc.

The letter mentions a document that should be signed at the border when instructed but that hasn't been included so far as I can see. Does anyone know if they send that separately through the post or is this a mistake that I need to email them about?

Thanks in advance.
That's the letter accompanying the COPR. You'll get the COPR & a physical copy of that letter in the mail.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
That's the letter accompanying the COPR. You'll get the COPR & a physical copy of that letter in the mail.
Great, thanks. I wish they would have told me that.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, two copies of COPR will be sent to you in mail.

Basically, the officer at the border will get you to confirm and initial both documents at the border, put your current address on one and then sign both copies in front of them.

Officer will sign both and one will be sent off to process your PR card, the other will be affixed into your passport and acts as COPR till your PR card arrives.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Yea, two copies of COPR will be sent to you in mail.

Basically, the officer at the border will get you to confirm and initial both documents at the border, put your current address on one and then sign both copies in front of them.

Officer will sign both and one will be sent off to process your PR card, the other will be affixed into your passport and acts as COPR till your PR card arrives.
Yeah that one is a bit awkward because we're planning on just making a short landing trip next year and won't have an address in Canada. I'm looking into re-mailing services for that purpose (I think some people may have used a UPS box in the past).

We're actually not completely sure if we're going to move to Canada tbh, we're just planning to do the landing and then decide from there over the next few years.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that one is a bit awkward because we're planning on just making a short landing trip next year and won't have an address in Canada. I'm looking into re-mailing services for that purpose (I think some people may have used a UPS box in the past).

We're actually not completely sure if we're going to move to Canada tbh, we're just planning to do the landing and then decide from there over the next few years.
Have you seen the wiki bit that covers the PR card bit of your initial landing here?

Permanent Resident Card-Canada : British Expat Wiki

You can land and return and supply them with a Canadian residential address for them to send the PR Card to. UPS type services or PO Boxes will not be accepted. You can still land and declare PR on your initial trip, but see the wiki article, you then have 6 months to from the date of landing to supply the Canadian address for the PR card (using a form designed for that purpose). Outside of this time and you have to pay and complete a full PR Card application form.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 5:43 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Have you seen the wiki bit that covers the PR card bit of your initial landing here?

Permanent Resident Card-Canada : British Expat Wiki

You can land and return and supply them with a Canadian residential address for them to send the PR Card to. UPS type services or PO Boxes will not be accepted. You can still land and declare PR on your initial trip, but see the wiki article, you then have 6 months to from the date of landing to supply the Canadian address for the PR card (using a form designed for that purpose). Outside of this time and you have to pay and complete a full PR Card application form.
Thanks, I have read that page before but admittedly it was a while ago. I saw on another forum that people had used the UPS option before because it uses a street address rather than a PO Box type. I wouldn't try to mislead them if they asked though.

Worst case we would just need to get those one off documents they issue through London later down the line. Going through America wouldn't be an option in our case because neither of us drive and I believe you're not allowed to use a train or coach when you do that.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I have read that page before but admittedly it was a while ago. I saw on another forum that people had used the UPS option before because it uses a street address rather than a PO Box type. I wouldn't try to mislead them if they asked though.

Worst case we would just need to get those one off documents they issue through London later down the line. Going through America wouldn't be an option in our case because neither of us drive and I believe you're not allowed to use a train or coach when you do that.
If no friends in Canada or using a designated representative like a lawyers address there are many places in Canada that have to use a PO Box as an address as there is no home delivery even with a physical street address.

Permanent residents (PR) of Canada need a valid PR card when:

travelling to Canada by public transit (plane, train, bus or boat)
transiting through a Canadian airport
If your PR card is expired or you lost it, you can apply for a PR travel document (PRTD) to travel to Canada.

Permanent residents need a PR card or travel document to travel to Canada
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 9:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
there are many places in Canada that have to use a PO Box as an address as there is no home delivery even with a physical street address.
Sorry if I'm being thick but what does this part mean?
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if I'm being thick but what does this part mean?
I have this problem with my Canadian house. There is no postal delivery to my house, nor is there a neighbourhood set of boxes. So I have two addresses, one for my physical house with a specific postcode and another PO Box number with a different postcode for mail delivery - it goes to my local post office in Manotick and into my personal box that I drop into twice a week and open with a key.

So in some cases, Canadian houses actually are forced to have PO Box numbers. I have to quote two different 'addresses' depending on whether they are trying to deliver to my physical house and send me a letter.

Clear - no I didn't think so!

Canada ain't like the UK - they often don't delivery mail to your physical address. You often have either community mail boxes (at the end of a road) OR PO Box numbers in your local sorting office.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

many Canadians do not get home delivery of mail, have a PO Box number at the local Post Office, and so they do have to give a PO Box number to Immigration

You has to visit the Post Office on a regular basis, open your mail box with the supplied key, and take out your mail. The box opens into the office area from the back, and mail is deposited in there as it arrives. We have several friends and relations living in small towns where the mail delivery is like this

The address will be something like .............

Mr J Smith
PO Box 1232
Anytown, BC V0T 1B0

BUT there is a problem if you are not living in that area because you need to get someone to open that box for you and retrieve the mail.

EDIT:- not sure if Hurlabrick and myself have helped or confused you!!!!

If there is no delivery to the house and you have to use a Community Box, that has to be within a 1 km walk of your house, but your house address is used for all mail.

Last edited by scilly; Oct 3rd 2017 at 9:43 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I could also add that if someone is living in a rural area without mail delivery, it may be a 60 km or more drive to the closest rural post office where there are mail boxes or pick up ..... often at the back of a small general store.

We had a cabin about 15 km from such a little store with postal service ............. we never used it, but we would meet people who had driven close to 100 km just to pick up their mail.

Then the store was closed, I think the next closest store that agreed to have the service was another 20 km away. The next store after that was another 20 km.

Last edited by scilly; Oct 3rd 2017 at 9:47 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

From the application guidelines on PR card address

Note: If you provide your mailing address, all correspondence will be sent there. However, PR Cards will not be mailed to third party addresses. If you provide a third party address, your PR Card will be sent to your residential address (the address where you live). PR Cards will only be mailed to post office (PO) boxes if this is your residential mailing address. If you do not provide your residential address, processing will be delayed until you provide it.
Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) - First application, replacement, renewal or to change sex designation (IMM 5445)

You are at the mercy of CBSA on landing if they accept the address you give them or IRCC when they get the info from CBSA once landed or submitting the form given to you and sending it to IRCC within 180 days of landing.

This was never a problem until they introduced eTA
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

From the application guidelines on PR card address

Note: If you provide your mailing address, all correspondence will be sent there. However, PR Cards will not be mailed to third party addresses. If you provide a third party address, your PR Card will be sent to your residential address (the address where you live). PR Cards will only be mailed to post office (PO) boxes if this is your residential mailing address. If you do not provide your residential address, processing will be delayed until you provide it.
Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) - First application, replacement, renewal or to change sex designation (IMM� 5445)

You are at the mercy of CBSA on landing if they accept the address you give them or IRCC when they get the info from CBSA once landed or submitting the form given to you and sending it to IRCC within 180 days of landing.

This was never a problem until they introduced eTA
Yes, on arrival they asked me what my address was in Canada. I gave them an obvious residential address that was my buddy's address - sure I was staying there for a couple of weeks then going back to the UK - so maybe a bit of a white lie, but had they asked further, I would have told them that. Instead the PR Card was eventually mailed to this address some 3 months after landing and my buddy sent it on via FEDEX. Happy days!
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 10:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Yeah I figured that might be the case. It all just depends on how diligently they review the address that you give to them I suppose.

I'm actually not entirely sure what eTA achieves either tbh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.