landing questions...

Old Sep 3rd 2005, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Fiona Shearer has a spectacular aura aboutFiona Shearer has a spectacular aura aboutFiona Shearer has a spectacular aura about
Question landing questions...

Hi

My husband has now received his Visa and we plan to land in October for a two week period to get his PR card. We plan to return to Scotland then move permanently in April 2006.

We know upon entry that we will have to produce a Goods to Follow list. (We aren't taking anything with us to leave in Canada in October.) What we are not sure about is the depth they require. We will not be bringing any electrical goods and do not plan to bring any major items like furniture. I guess what we need to know is it a comprehensive list of absolutely everything down to the ornaments and books we bring or is it more household things like pots, pans, plates, cutlery, clocks, pictures, mirrors etc?? I've been onto the CIC website but it doesn't specify exactly what needs to be on the list.

We are also wondering what kind of questions will be asked at point of entry. Will I be involved in this (as the Canadian wife) or is it down to my hubby. We will be landing in Halifax to visit family but plan to move to Ontario in April. Is this something that needs mentioning? Just looking for some pointers and info on anyone who has been through this process.

Thanks in advance for any input. Just want this experience to be as smooth as possible...
Old Sep 4th 2005, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: landing questions...

The changed the rules regarding Goods to Follow just before we landed in June 2005 (or in Vancouver they have anyway - maybe someone can advise if it is country wide or just province wide). We handed over or Goods to Follow and also Goods on us list and she handed them straight back. We were given a document that has a phone number to ring when our goods have arrived in Vancouver. The document says that you have to phone up and make an appointment with a customs officer and they sort it all out then. I can't tell you what happens at the interview as we have not shipped our goods yet - we are waiting until the house sale goes through.

We were then told to go to customs. As we has so much stuff on us, we didn't know which channel we should go through. So we played it safe and went into the Goods to Declare room. We explained to the customs man that we weren't sure where we were supposed to be. He asked if we had the new shipping rules form, which we had and then showed us the door out without actually looking at our lists or luggage.

Louise

Originally Posted by Fiona Shearer
Hi

My husband has now received his Visa and we plan to land in October for a two week period to get his PR card. We plan to return to Scotland then move permanently in April 2006.

We know upon entry that we will have to produce a Goods to Follow list. (We aren't taking anything with us to leave in Canada in October.) What we are not sure about is the depth they require. We will not be bringing any electrical goods and do not plan to bring any major items like furniture. I guess what we need to know is it a comprehensive list of absolutely everything down to the ornaments and books we bring or is it more household things like pots, pans, plates, cutlery, clocks, pictures, mirrors etc?? I've been onto the CIC website but it doesn't specify exactly what needs to be on the list.

We are also wondering what kind of questions will be asked at point of entry. Will I be involved in this (as the Canadian wife) or is it down to my hubby. We will be landing in Halifax to visit family but plan to move to Ontario in April. Is this something that needs mentioning? Just looking for some pointers and info on anyone who has been through this process.

Thanks in advance for any input. Just want this experience to be as smooth as possible...