Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing process and re-entry to US

Landing process and re-entry to US

Old Sep 26th 2005, 4:56 am
Just Joined

novice98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing process and re-entry to US

I am planning to landing in Vancouver on November 2005 but only for one week and I will be back to settle in Canada next year since currently I am working in the US.

I have several questions regarding the landing process:
1. To show that I have sufficient fund can I just show to the canadian immigration officer my bank statement from US?
2. I am holding a H1B visa right now and my visa to re-entry to US is already expired. I heard that during 30 days period you dont need a visa to re-entry to US is that true? Does anyone have the same situation?
What is the best way to land to canada? Is it by plane or by car and drive to the border? I also heard that if you across the border by land you dont need to give your I-94.

Thanks...
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

SKHAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landing process and re-entry to US

ATTENTION
Due to an April 1, 2002 change in regulations, applicants will only be able to re-enter the United States if they are found eligible for a new visa and actually have the visa stamped in their passport. I-94 forms (even if valid), accompanied by previous expired visas, will no longer be valid for the automatic re-entry of persons from Canada or Mexico if during their visit they applied for a new visa that has not, in fact, been issued.

Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Geet is on a distinguished road

Hi novice98,

You are correct. I was in the same situation back in May. I have the I-797 H1B approval but did not have the visa stamp in my passport. I landed and came back with only my I-797 and I-94. No questions asked. Make sure that you DO NOT apply for visa while in Canada. If you do and its denied, you cannot come back without the actual visa stamp in your passport. Please search for my previous postings on the forum and you will get all the info that is required even the link to US Dept. of State link and the link to the Federal Register for the applicable law.
Hope this helps and Good Luck with your landing.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

Hi, I am not sure what the law is on this but I can tell you my experience of re-entering the US from Canada. Last year, my husband and I took a vacation to Niagara Falls (US side). We walked across the bridge and entered the Canada side for about 3 hours to take a look around. When we crossed back to the US side, we had a lot of problems at immigration. The reason for this was that my green card had expired and I had turned it in to get a new one that hadn't yet arrived. I did have this stamped in my passport but the immigration officer kept asking for my I-94. I obviously didn't have one as I was a permanent resident. He kept insisting that I needed this or a green card, even though I told him the situation over and over and showed him the stamp and note in my passport. It took us almost 3 hours to get through, and even then he was very reluctant to let it go. This was probably just a one off case and not at all usual but that was my experience. Next time I re-enter the US it will be with a US passport thankfully!!!

Tracey

Originally Posted by Geet
Hi novice98,

You are correct. I was in the same situation back in May. I have the I-797 H1B approval but did not have the visa stamp in my passport. I landed and came back with only my I-797 and I-94. No questions asked. Make sure that you DO NOT apply for visa while in Canada. If you do and its denied, you cannot come back without the actual visa stamp in your passport. Please search for my previous postings on the forum and you will get all the info that is required even the link to US Dept. of State link and the link to the Federal Register for the applicable law.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Hi Geet,

Could you tell me what do you mean by you did not have the visa stamp in your passport? Was your visa to re-entry to US already expired?
This will be my first time since I got my H1B to travel outside US. My US visa is already expired long time ago.

Thanks,

Hi novice98,

Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by novice98
Hi Geet,

Could you tell me what do you mean by you did not have the visa stamp in your passport? Was your visa to re-entry to US already expired?
This will be my first time since I got my H1B to travel outside US. My US visa is already expired long time ago.

Thanks,
Hi novice98,

What I meant was that I had an expired H4 visa in my passport and a valid I-797 and I-94 for H1B. I changed my status from H4 to H1B and never had an H1B visa stamped in my passport. Like I said, please search for my past posts and you will find detailed information. I guess I posted my landing experience in the month of May-June this year.
Good Luck.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Hi Geet,

Could you give me the link to US Dept of state that explains this condition?
I tried to search from your previous posting and I could not find it.

Thanks..

Hi novice98,

Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Geet,

Could you give me the link to US Dept of state that explains this condition?
I tried to search from your previous posting and I could not find it.

Thanks..
Hi novice98,

Please follow this link http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/te...rams_1441.html
to the US Dept of State website. The law is clearly stated and I have gone to Canada and come back almost 20 times with ONLY my passport and I-797.
No need to worry. Just carry a printout of this regulation with you just to be on the safe side. And remember .... PEACE BRIDGE to get into Canada and LEVINSTON Bridge to come back to USA.
Good luck and keep us posted. Its a pice of cake.... Trust me... been there, done that.

Regards
Geet.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

peterb is an unknown quantity at this point

I am planning to landing in Vancouver on November 2005 but only for one week and I will be back to settle in Canada next year since currently I am working in the US.

I have several questions regarding the landing process:
1. To show that I have sufficient fund can I just show to the canadian immigration officer my bank statement from US?
2. I am holding a H1B visa right now and my visa to re-entry to US is already expired. I heard that during 30 days period you dont need a visa to re-entry to US is that true? Does anyone have the same situation?
What is the best way to land to canada? Is it by plane or by car and drive to the border? I also heard that if you across the border by land you dont need to give your I-94.

Thanks...

When we landed in August, we had a Canadian Bank Account, with copy statements, and the immigration guy didn't even bother to ask how much we had. It seemed he wasn't worried about how much money we had.

Hope that helps

peterb
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks Geet...

Since I will only stay 1 week in Canada and will come back again next year to move permanently in Canada do I need to apply for Travel Document? If I do how to apply that? or If I dont plan to go to canada again in 2-4 months do I need to wait for my Maple Card only? I have a relative in Canada that will help me to send my Maple Card to my current address in US.

Thanks...

Hi novice98,

Please follow this link http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/te...rams_1441.html
to the US Dept of State website. The law is clearly stated and I have gone to Canada and come back almost 20 times with ONLY my passport and I-797.
No need to worry. Just carry a printout of this regulation with you just to be on the safe side. And remember .... PEACE BRIDGE to get into Canada and LEVINSTON Bridge to come back to USA.
Good luck and keep us posted. Its a pice of cake.... Trust me... been there, done that.

Regards
Geet.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Geet...

Since I will only stay 1 week in Canada and will come back again next year to move permanently in Canada do I need to apply for Travel Document? If I do how to apply that? or If I dont plan to go to canada again in 2-4 months do I need to wait for my Maple Card only? I have a relative in Canada that will help me to send my Maple Card to my current address in US.

Thanks...
Hi novice98,

If you want to travel to Canada on a travel document, then you need to apply for one at the consulate nearest you in US. You cannot apply for one in Canada. In my opinion, don't bother with that. You can ask your friend in Canada to mail the PR card as and when he receives it. Once you have that with you, you do not need the travel document. I did the same. My friend in Canada mailed my PR card to me and rest is history. In fact I heard that if you are travelling to Canada from US by car and do not have the PR card with you, you can show your landing papers to enter Canada. I asked the immigration officer at the port of entry when I landed and he told me that I can do that 1 time. So, worst come worst, if you have to come yourself to pick up the PR card, then you can do so with your landing papers but please do some reaserch on this as I have not done it personely.I hope that some senior members like PMM, Jim and Andrew will be able to point out the correct process.
Good Luck and let me know if you need an help. I know that it can be very stressful but once its all over and done, you will be OK....
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi Geet,

Since I will be in Canada for 3-4 days only will that be a problem for my landing process?
Do I need to tell them exactly that I will be staying only 3-4 days when the Canadian Immigration officer asking how long will I stay in Canada?

Thanks.

Hi novice98,

If you want to travel to Canada on a travel document, then you need to apply for one at the consulate nearest you in US. You cannot apply for one in Canada. In my opinion, don't bother with that. You can ask your friend in Canada to mail the PR card as and when he receives it. Once you have that with you, you do not need the travel document. I did the same. My friend in Canada mailed my PR card to me and rest is history. In fact I heard that if you are travelling to Canada from US by car and do not have the PR card with you, you can show your landing papers to enter Canada. I asked the immigration officer at the port of entry when I landed and he told me that I can do that 1 time. So, worst come worst, if you have to come yourself to pick up the PR card, then you can do so with your landing papers but please do some reaserch on this as I have not done it personely.I hope that some senior members like PMM, Jim and Andrew will be able to point out the correct process.
Good Luck and let me know if you need an help. I know that it can be very stressful but once its all over and done, you will be OK....