Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing and PR cards when you don't have an address in Canada yet.

Landing and PR cards when you don't have an address in Canada yet.

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:27 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future
Default Landing and PR cards when you don't have an address in Canada yet.

Hi

please can someone remind me what your options are in this situation - I don't think you can have your card sent to a UK address can you?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:33 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Landing and PR cards when you don't have an address in Canada yet.

Originally Posted by Rubie
Hi

please can someone remind me what your options are in this situation - I don't think you can have your card sent to a UK address can you?
No you cant. You do not have to provide an address when u land, you can submit for your PR card when you return and take up residency permamently. When u land they give you paperwork that proves you have activated your PR visa, this paperwork is suitable to allow you to return in the future provided you have returned within the right timescales.....can still meet the 2/5 criteria.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:37 pm

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Oh thank you - that's good to know. Don't you get charged even more fees though if you do it that way?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:40 pm
x 0 x

Oh thank you - that's good to know. Don't you get charged even more fees though if you do it that way?
I am not sure....we handed over an address when we landed but the immigration person was like "if you dont have one that is fine as well, just apply when you come back".

I am sure someone will come along later and answer the question on cost.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by JB0591
I am not sure....we handed over an address when we landed but the immigration person was like "if you dont have one that is fine as well, just apply when you come back".

I am sure someone will come along later and answer the question on cost.
Thanks again.

Just read the wiki (I should have done that in the first place ) apparently there is a 6 month window to apply for a a free PR card, after that it will be $50.

Also, there is something on there about landing, then leaving Canada straight away - apparently you may have a problem when returning to Canada on a one-way ticket as the airlines will want you to prove you are a PR. Does anyone have any experience of this?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:55 pm
x 0 x

Thanks again.

Just read the wiki (I should have done that in the first place ) apparently there is a 6 month window to apply for a a free PR card, after that it will be $50.

Also, there is something on there about landing, then leaving Canada straight away - apparently you may have a problem when returning to Canada on a one-way ticket as the airlines will want you to prove you are a PR. Does anyone have any experience of this?
Some people have issues with airlines and some do not. For example when we flew with a one-way ticket to land we did not get questioned by the airline.

I have previously suggested that people take a copy of the relevant bits of the Port Of Entry Manual (ENF 4) as the airline check-in staff or serviair staff may not understand your paperwork. Manual can be found here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf

Section 11 would apply in the case that you have already landed and are returning to take up residency.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I dont think ANYONE has ever actually reported here that they were physically refused boarding of a flight from the UK to Canada when returning with only a UK passport and ROLF/ COPR form. A few people may have been given the 3rd degree, but then proceeded anyway.

I do remember one person on a non british passport who was refused and had to get the travel document, but they were not from a visa waiver passport as I recall, and would have required a visa to visit canada in normal circumstances.

There is lots of hot air from the airlines reported, and erronous information given by misinformed immigration officers, but no actual reported refused flights for UK citizens that Im aware of... although I stand ready to be proven wrong.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 2nd 2011 at 8:21 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:46 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

yes you have to pay $50 per card if you have to re-apply when you come back.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:32 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
yes you have to pay $50 per card if you have to re-apply when you come back.
Only if it's been more than 6 months
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Only if it's been more than 6 months
You only have to reapply if its been more than 6 months.

Less than 6 months you just update your address via the website or 800 number.