Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing as PR in Canada and visiting USA

Landing as PR in Canada and visiting USA

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Canada Dry will become famous soon enough
Default Landing as PR in Canada and visiting USA

Hi, I have searched the wiki and forum and cannot find anything relating to my question. I am Canadian and OH has been approved for PR status. We will be landing this year (although will be returning to UK to finalise our affairs) but whilst in Canada we are planning to visit the USA for a few days crossing the border via car. Bearing in mind my OH will not yet have his PR card, can anyone envisage any problems entering the US and re-entering Canada.

Thanking you in advance.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:42 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing as PR in Canada and visiting USA

He will be okay with just his passport going and coming. It may help if he carries his papers that prove he has been approved for PR.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Canada Dry
Hi, I have searched the wiki and forum and cannot find anything relating to my question. I am Canadian and OH has been approved for PR status. We will be landing this year (although will be returning to UK to finalise our affairs) but whilst in Canada we are planning to visit the USA for a few days crossing the border via car. Bearing in mind my OH will not yet have his PR card, can anyone envisage any problems entering the US and re-entering Canada.

Thanking you in advance.
Hi,
you don't need to show a PR card when crossing borders by car. His passport with visa stamp and COPR will suffice.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

And the US doesn't care about Canadian PR. You enter with the passport of your own country. If that country is eligible for the Visa Waive Programme then you don't need a visa - otherwise you do.

Remember to update ESTA if required (google ESTA for more info)
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Canada Dry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ESarge
And the US doesn't care about Canadian PR. You enter with the passport of your own country. If that country is eligible for the Visa Waive Programme then you don't need a visa - otherwise you do.

Remember to update ESTA if required (google ESTA for more info)
Hi thanks for your help with this. My OH has a United Kingdom passport and is a british citizen, so therefore as the UK is eligible for VWP and ESTA, do you think that both these have to be completed - although we would have already landed and in OH's case would now have become a Permanent Resident of Canada. Confusing eh!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Dry

Thanking you in advance.
I would suggest he doesn't land when arriving in Canada, and lands when he returns from the US.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would suggest he doesn't land when arriving in Canada, and lands when he returns from the US.
Why do you suggest that? (there is no obvious reason why he should).
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Spur question: When you live in the UK and you enter the US by land from Canada with a British passport, you have to pay the US$6 visa waver fee. Do you still have to pay this each time you enter the US after you have Canadian PR and the PR Card and you are living in Canada?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bewillow
Spur question: When you live in the UK and you enter the US by land from Canada with a British passport, you have to pay the US$6 visa waver fee. Do you still have to pay this each time you enter the US after you have Canadian PR and the PR Card and you are living in Canada?
Yes. Your Canadian immigration status is quite irrelevant to US entry requirements. Even with Canadian PR you are still British citizen and fall under the Visa Waiver Category.... So you'll still need to pay $6
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

Yes - if travelling by car.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

nuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura about

But you can keep your I94 until the expiration date (90 days after issuance) and enter multiple times without paying any fee. The only "problem" is that you need to return it at the border (or at an airport) before the expiration.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Or you can post it back to them - but that's a pain and not hugely reliable.

(And in October I'll find out if I did it right!)
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why do you suggest that? (there is no obvious reason why he should).
True, there isn't, it was only a suggestion
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

nuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ESarge
Or you can post it back to them - but that's a pain and not hugely reliable.

(And in October I'll find out if I did it right!)

I've posted some I94s about two years ago and everything was fine after that.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

bubblescope is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear I have an I-94 card issued in Jan 2009. I didn't know I had to return it. ( I used to work in the the US on an H1B have since quit and am on a temp visa in Canada) Will that cause a problem when I cross the border?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.