Landing as PR in Canad via USA?

Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about
Default Landing as PR in Canad via USA?

Is there any potential problems leaving the UK, flying to USA and staying there for a few days and then flying from USA to Canada to land as PR for first time? I would not be returning to UK.

Would there be any problem with US immigration because I am not returning to the UK? I would have a ticket to Canada so I would have proof that I was leaving USA. I would also have documentation needed for landing.

Also do I have to buy a one way ticket from the UK? It seems they are twice the price of returns. Any problems either way?

Would be good to hear from anyone who has done this.

Thanks.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing as PR in Canad via USA?

Originally Posted by coal
Is there any potential problems leaving the UK, flying to USA and staying there for a few days and then flying from USA to Canada to land as PR for first time? I would not be returning to UK.

Would there be any problem with US immigration because I am not returning to the UK? I would have a ticket to Canada so I would have proof that I was leaving USA. I would also have documentation needed for landing.

Also do I have to buy a one way ticket from the UK? It seems they are twice the price of returns. Any problems either way?

Would be good to hear from anyone who has done this.

Thanks.
I would advise against this- don't make things more complicated that you need to-we bought a return ticket when we did this, its not really any cheaper not to.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shelley748
I would advise against this- don't make things more complicated that you need to-we bought a return ticket when we did this, its not really any cheaper not to.
This is what I was thinking. I've got this far and I don't want anything to go wrong now! I think flying direct is best way to go for peace of mind. Did you get your return ticket for landing and not use the return part? Is this common?
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:43 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I was thinking. I've got this far and I don't want anything to go wrong now! I think flying direct is best way to go for peace of mind. Did you get your return ticket for landing and not use the return part? Is this common?
Hi coal, i can't advise you on your stay in the states for a few days and then flying on to Canada. However, we did the same thing at Xmas, we flew to NY and then on to Toronto and landed there. You don't need to book a direct flight at all. Just book the best ticket that suits you. Good luck.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

OK..now I'm torn!
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:48 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

OK..now I'm torn!
To be honest coal, you just need to tell them your transiting through..we had to stay overnight due to the weather and no one other than the airline asked us for proof of our flight.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

It would be a few days as opposed to an overnight...I'm sure all they need to know is that you are leaving the country..
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:56 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

It would be a few days as opposed to an overnight...I'm sure all they need to know is that you are leaving the country..
I think so, you'll have your paperwork for landing with you anyway.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:57 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get your return ticket for landing and not use the return part? Is this common?
I entered Canada as a visitor with a return ticket...they were totally separate. I flew out with Canadian Affair and I had a return flight booked with Zoom and I was expecting (correctly) I'd not have to use it.

But I wasn't even asked for it. I even told the immigration officer my intention to apply for Sponsorship/PR on that visit.

So I could have entered with just the one way ticket.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot enter the United States on the visa waiver scheme (by air) unless you have a return/onward ticket.

And a ticket terminating in Canada doesn't count unless you're a Canadian resident - which you're not, at this point.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program