Wikiposts

Landing List - advice appreciated

Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Zola_Blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landing List - advice appreciated

Hi. We landed in Calgary last Friday. The IO officer was really polite and helpful. In fact, all the IOs in the room were great as they had to put up with our two kids (4 & 2) who were literally running riot after being cooped up in a plane for more than 10 hours.

I chickened out of getting our PR cards forwarded via a virtual office. This was mainly because I'm not that confident our photos are up to scratch. For instance, mine is very light and a couple of the backgrounds are not white. Anyhow, if I change my mind I can always supply a virtual office address or any other address for that matter online later.

Two of the three customs offices looked in seriously bad moods. Luckily we got the better of the three.

All in all it took about 30 minutes to get through immigration & customs. I was dreading it would take much longer, especially with the kids on tow. I think we were very lucky with the queues.

We're here for two weeks - part holiday, part house area seeking. Spent yesterday at Cascade Ponds, near Banff. Beautiful!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zola_Blue
Hi. We landed in Calgary last Friday. The IO officer was really polite and helpful. In fact, all the IOs in the room were great as they had to put up with our two kids (4 & 2) who were literally running riot after being cooped up in a plane for more than 10 hours.

I chickened out of getting our PR cards forwarded via a virtual office. This was mainly because I'm not that confident our photos are up to scratch. For instance, mine is very light and a couple of the backgrounds are not white. Anyhow, if I change my mind I can always supply a virtual office address or any other address for that matter online later.

Two of the three customs offices looked in seriously bad moods. Luckily we got the better of the three.

All in all it took about 30 minutes to get through immigration & customs. I was dreading it would take much longer, especially with the kids on tow. I think we were very lucky with the queues.

We're here for two weeks - part holiday, part house area seeking. Spent yesterday at Cascade Ponds, near Banff. Beautiful!
Hi
Thanks for your story, and huge congratulations on landing!! The only thing that confused me in your post was your comment about photos not being good enough...what photos did you mean?
Have an amazing two weeks...
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Martin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ducktastic
Hi
Thanks for your story, and huge congratulations on landing!! The only thing that confused me in your post was your comment about photos not being good enough...what photos did you mean?
Have an amazing two weeks...
Good question. Do we need extra photos besides the COPR itself?

Cheers

Martin
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:05 am
Just Joined

Zola_Blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to confuse. The photo I was referring to is the one on the Immigration VISA papers you received back from CIC after passing your medicals. You do not need to bring any other photos.

I've read on this site about photos being rejected after the VISA papers have been handed in. I've also read that if that happens you may be requested to turn up at an immigration office in Canada to get your photos re-done.

I may be worrying about nothing, however I thought I'd play it safe and give myself some time to investigate this further. So if anyone has experienced photo rejection for their PR cards please can you explain what the procedure is to rectify the matter.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zola_Blue
Sorry to confuse. The photo I was referring to is the one on the Immigration VISA papers you received back from CIC after passing your medicals. You do not need to bring any other photos.

I've read on this site about photos being rejected after the VISA papers have been handed in. I've also read that if that happens you may be requested to turn up at an immigration office in Canada to get your photos re-done.

I may be worrying about nothing, however I thought I'd play it safe and give myself some time to investigate this further. So if anyone has experienced photo rejection for their PR cards please can you explain what the procedure is to rectify the matter.
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up! Our pictures couldn't be clearer..so no worries on that front..best of luck getting your PR card...
Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Well we landed yesterday at Vancouver airport. It went very smoothly we were all done and dusted in an hour.
We were asked a few questions, but not a full blown interview or anything like that. The IO asked if we had an address yet, and we gave the forwarding address we had rented, and that was that.
The IO said our PR cards would be sent to that address in 4-6 weeks, she also said if we left Canada within 4-6 weeks we would need to get new visas, I did question this, but she said it is very quick, and you just reapply through your embassy. After some sleep, what I am assuming she meant was that if you leave without your PR card then you would need a new visa, but as we are having ours forwarded to the UK, I would have thought we wouldn't have to do this as the PR card trumps the visa...anyone else had experience of this?

Sadly we are spending our first morning in Van watching the England Match!!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Well we landed yesterday at Vancouver airport. It went very smoothly we were all done and dusted in an hour.
We were asked a few questions, but not a full blown interview or anything like that. The IO asked if we had an address yet, and we gave the forwarding address we had rented, and that was that.
The IO said our PR cards would be sent to that address in 4-6 weeks, she also said if we left Canada within 4-6 weeks we would need to get new visas, I did question this, but she said it is very quick, and you just reapply through your embassy. After some sleep, what I am assuming she meant was that if you leave without your PR card then you would need a new visa, but as we are having ours forwarded to the UK, I would have thought we wouldn't have to do this as the PR card trumps the visa...anyone else had experience of this?

Congratulations on the smooth landing. Yes, you are right that you will need a visa only if you don't have the PR card. With the PR card, you can travel in and out of Canada without a visa. The IO probably meant that you wont have your card in the 4-6 weeks and if you left, you may need a visa to re-enter.

Enjoy Vancouver, I cant wait till I get there next year. Few more months. I can handle it...

Ray
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raymasa
Congratulations on the smooth landing. Yes, you are right that you will need a visa only if you don't have the PR card. With the PR card, you can travel in and out of Canada without a visa. The IO probably meant that you wont have your card in the 4-6 weeks and if you left, you may need a visa to re-enter.

Enjoy Vancouver, I cant wait till I get there next year. Few more months. I can handle it...

Ray
Hey Ray thanks for the post, I thought as much re the visa/PR card thing.
Well we are off to Granville Market to explore...
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Martin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant future

Congratulations. Glad it went smoothly for you.

Cheers

Martin