Landing information

Old Oct 7th 2016, 1:14 am
Just Joined

soulman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing information

Hi - Does anyone know if there is a mandatory period for which I will have to stay in Canada after landing there before I can leave the country? I am looking to complete the process and land in Canada later this year but only spend a few weeks there initially (taking it as a short holiday) before returning home to the UK (at least for the near future). I will definitely go back but after a while so not sure and would appreciate any help.

I know I need a PR card to re-enter Canada so will probably wait for that to arrive before I return. What I also wanted to know is whether I can get that delivered to my aunts address in Canada rather than waiting there physically for it to arrive (which may take forever)?

Any advice or if you can share your experiences would be really helpful.

Thanks,
soulman
Old Oct 7th 2016, 1:27 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing information

You can land and then get on the next plane home
Shouldn't be a problem using your aunt's address either
Old Oct 7th 2016, 1:38 am
Just Joined

awesome ... thought the same but could not find any related info on their website ... thanks
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I did this last Nov and stayed 3 days although for TWP nor PR.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulman
Hi - Does anyone know if there is a mandatory period for which I will have to stay in Canada after landing there before I can leave the country? I am looking to complete the process and land in Canada later this year but only spend a few weeks there initially (taking it as a short holiday) before returning home to the UK (at least for the near future). I will definitely go back but after a while so not sure and would appreciate any help.

I know I need a PR card to re-enter Canada so will probably wait for that to arrive before I return. What I also wanted to know is whether I can get that delivered to my aunts address in Canada rather than waiting there physically for it to arrive (which may take forever)?

Thanks,
soulman
Landing as PR-Canada : British Expat Wiki

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada

HTH.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

adfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
soulman
I landed on Sunday, I'm leaving tomorrow. It's all good!
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
soulman
It's 2 years within Canada, out of 4 years, for the PR not to expire, as far as I know.

PR status and PR card are two separate things. You might have PR status, but not the card. If you're outside the country, and have no PR card, than some travel document in lieu of the PR card must be obtained. That's what I know....
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The mandatory period of time to remain in Canada would be the time it took you to get off the plane presenting yourself at Customs and having your COPR forms completed by Immigration and collecting your bags and exiting the Customs area.

This can be done say at a minimum of 30 minutes to several hours. Once you leave the Customs area you can get back on a plane and leave Canada.
The day you do the landing is when the 5 year clock starts for the 730 day residency obligation.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

thank you everyone for the advice ... some great information provided so appreciate it ... just got my visa yesterday and for all those interested in knowing, it was a one day turnaround at the Canadian consulate in London. Submitted my documents on 7th Oct and got an email/msg from VFS on 10th Oct that they had handed my passports to the courier to deliver them back to me ... was afraid something went wrong as it was way too quick a turnaround but was glad to see a visa stamped on my passport.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

oh and their letter that accompanies the visa explains the whole process and how long you have to stay and by when you need to go etc etc etc .... it also says i need to have sufficient cash with me and satisfy the immigration officer when i land that i will be able to support myself .... can someone help me with one more thing here ... does the cash need to be in CAD or can i take GBP ... reason i ask is i will lose a lot on exchange rate if i first get GBP converted to CAD and then on my return get the CAD converted back to GBP ... thank you
Old Oct 11th 2016, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

oh and their letter that accompanies the visa explains the whole process and how long you have to stay and by when you need to go etc etc etc .... it also says i need to have sufficient cash with me and satisfy the immigration officer when i land that i will be able to support myself .... can someone help me with one more thing here ... does the cash need to be in CAD or can i take GBP ... reason i ask is i will lose a lot on exchange rate if i first get GBP converted to CAD and then on my return get the CAD converted back to GBP ... thank you
You don't even need cash. You're supposed to prove that you have sufficient funds on arrival to look after yourself. Most people show a current bank statement as most would wire money rather than carry it. Don't be surprised if CBSA don't ask to see it as most had to prove proof of funds prior to getting PR status.

Personally I would get the bank to print off your account details just before you leave and if asked present that.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You don't even need cash. You're supposed to prove that you have sufficient funds on arrival to look after yourself. Most people show a current bank statement as most would wire money rather than carry it. Don't be surprised if CBSA don't ask to see it as most had to prove proof of funds prior to getting PR status.

Personally I would get the bank to print off your account details just before you leave and if asked present that.
thank you