Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing at Immigration Question???

Wikiposts

Landing at Immigration Question???

Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Morgans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing at Immigration Question???

Hi everyone,
Myself and my family have just completed our medicals for our Skilled Worker Application so hopefully not much longer to wait now!!!!

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on the following as i have been unable to find the answer to date on the CIC websites etc.

My question is:
When granted visas hopefully soon!!!,myself and my family will arrive in Canada and go to immigration with all of our documentation in hand to gain access as a permanent residents. I am aware that we will have 1 year from the date of our medicals to land on the shores and validate our permanent residency visa.

What i am not sure about is if we have been unable to sell our property in the UK, are we ok to arrive in Canada to validate our Permanent Residency and spend a couple of weeks lining up things, to then return to the UK to complete everything here before making the final move

As hopefully all will fall into place, it's just that on the CIC websites it mentions on acceptance the officer will ask for our Canadian Address to forward our Residency Cards to??

If anyone could explain the process better we would greatly appreciate your help, as with all we are trying to plan everything as smoothly as possible.

Many thanks The Morgans
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:00 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing at Immigration Question???

Originally Posted by Morgans
Hi everyone,
Myself and my family have just completed our medicals for our Skilled Worker Application so hopefully not much longer to wait now!!!!

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on the following as i have been unable to find the answer to date on the CIC websites etc.

My question is:
When granted visas hopefully soon!!!,myself and my family will arrive in Canada and go to immigration with all of our documentation in hand to gain access as a permanent residents. I am aware that we will have 1 year from the date of our medicals to land on the shores and validate our permanent residency visa.

What i am not sure about is if we have been unable to sell our property in the UK, are we ok to arrive in Canada to validate our Permanent Residency and spend a couple of weeks lining up things, to then return to the UK to complete everything here before making the final move

As hopefully all will fall into place, it's just that on the CIC websites it mentions on acceptance the officer will ask for our Canadian Address to forward our Residency Cards to??

If anyone could explain the process better we would greatly appreciate your help, as with all we are trying to plan everything as smoothly as possible.

Many thanks The Morgans
Yes.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few people land and then return to the UK. I believe that if you tell them you're returning home after landing they'll give you a form to fill out for the PR card when you move to Canada full-time.

A forum search should find a few old threads on this subject, I remember it being mentioned before.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarkG
Quite a few people land and then return to the UK. I believe that if you tell them you're returning home after landing they'll give you a form to fill out for the PR card when you move to Canada full-time.

A forum search should find a few old threads on this subject, I remember it being mentioned before.
Thank you for your reply.

Am i right in believing that there are no time contraints that we will have t work to with regards to returning????

Many thanks The Morgans
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tangram
Yes.
Thanks for your reply.

Am i correct in assuming that we will not have any time constrints to then comply with ?????

Thanks for assistance

The Morgans
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

You need to return to Canada within three years, other than that you should be OK.

I do remember reading something about a limited time to apply for the PR card otherwise you have to pay a fee and fill out more forms, but I don't remember the details. A search should find that, I think.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:53 am
Just Joined

You need to return to Canada within three years, other than that you should be OK.

I do remember reading something about a limited time to apply for the PR card otherwise you have to pay a fee and fill out more forms, but I don't remember the details. A search should find that, I think.
Thanks for your reply
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:06 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

What Mark said !
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:36 am
Just Joined

4039487464 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

My question is:

Many thanks The Morgans
Hello Morgans....

Yes you guys can obtain your landed immigration status, get yourselves other documents like SIN cards, bank accounts, drivers licence and other documents. Caution!!! You will need a PR (permanent resident) card to return to Canada, if you hold a passport that does not require a visa for Canada you can use that, with regards to selling of property at a later date, I beleive you have to inform the official on arrival in Canada if you have funds and goods to follow, there is a time frame though.
You can get yourself a postal address from Canada Post.

Thanks

Tony [email protected]
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 4039487464
Hello Morgans....

Yes you guys can obtain your landed immigration status, get yourselves other documents like SIN cards, bank accounts, drivers licence and other documents. Caution!!! You will need a PR (permanent resident) card to return to Canada, if you hold a passport that does not require a visa for Canada you can use that, with regards to selling of property at a later date, I beleive you have to inform the official on arrival in Canada if you have funds and goods to follow, there is a time frame though.
You can get yourself a postal address from Canada Post.

Thanks

Tony [email protected]
Thanks Tony
We are hoping to have sold and arranged employment by the time that we choose to land to validate our PR. But you never know if all willl fall into place.
With regards to Canada Post?? can we arrange an address/post box for any of our mail to be collected in?? Also if we return to England for a short period i assume that we can get back into Canada in order to collect our residency cards???
Many Thanks Tony Morgan
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Also if we return to England for a short period i assume that we can get back into Canada in order to collect our residency cards???
You need the PR card in order to board a plane to Canada if:

a) you otherwise require a visa to travel to Canada

and/or

b) you're flying on a one-way ticket.

So assuming you both have UK passports, in the worst case you might have to buy return tickets or get a returning resident permit thingy from CHC in London to make the airline happy if you don't have a PR card. However, a number of people have said the airlines let them on with a one-way ticket and no PR card, so it may not even matter.

Once you get to Canadian immigration, they should be able to verify your PR status from your passport and landing documents.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:27 am
Just Joined

4039487464 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Tony
We are hoping to have sold and arranged employment by the time that we choose to land to validate our PR. But you never know if all willl fall into place.
With regards to Canada Post?? can we arrange an address/post box for any of our mail to be collected in?? Also if we return to England for a short period i assume that we can get back into Canada in order to collect our residency cards???
Many Thanks Tony Morgan
Pls visit http://www.canadapost.ca/business/of...can/hold-e.asp

Tony
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

You need the PR card in order to board a plane to Canada if:

a) you otherwise require a visa to travel to Canada

and/or

b) you're flying on a one-way ticket.

So assuming you both have UK passports, in the worst case you might have to buy return tickets or get a returning resident permit thingy from CHC in London to make the airline happy if you don't have a PR card. However, a number of people have said the airlines let them on with a one-way ticket and no PR card, so it may not even matter.

Once you get to Canadian immigration, they should be able to verify your PR status from your passport and landing documents.
Thank you
Thats a great help
Old Oct 14th 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future

Hi there

On the subject of meeting the Immigration officer upon arrival. I have indicated an amount of funds $cad in my application that includes cash that I have in my bank and money that I would have once my property here in Scotland is sold. The amount of cash that I have in the bank is greater that the amount CIC say is required for a family of three people, as ther are three of us entering Canada.

I dont intend to sll my property straight away, I would like to live in Canada for a number of months to a year before selling over hear. Would the immigration officer be satisfied that i have not brought all of the funds indicated on my application or would the amount from my own bank account be suffice being that it is more that what is required for a family of three to start out.

Pheewww. Gary