Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

landing and goods to follow question

Wikiposts

landing and goods to follow question

Old Oct 17th 2004, 8:59 am
Just Joined

stewdebs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default landing and goods to follow question

Having just done our medicals we are now optimistically thinking ahead to landing etc. We have a fairly different situation which I would like advice on.
We used to live in the States but moved back to the UK while we went through our application for PR.(Both British). We left all our furniture etc in storage in Washington State. Our plan was to land in Vancouver and then drive a UHAul from Washington to BC with all our "goods". My problem is that I didn't do a very extensive list of what we had in boxes etc., and this was 1 1/2 years ago, before I knew about the goods to follow list. So, if we try to remember as much as possible and explain to the customs person in Vancouver our predicament how leniant will they be, or do we have to fly to Washington first, list everything , and then go on to land at the US/Canadian border?
We also have an old car we have left in storage in Vancouver. Do we have to tell customs about that or can we just reregister it in Canada?
Last question. We applied under skilled worker cat. Can my husband go a month ahead of myself and the kids, or do we all have to land together.
Forgive me if these questions have been asked before. I went back 6 months or so in the search and couldn't find anyone in this position.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 11:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: landing and goods to follow question

Hi Stewdebs.

Originally Posted by stewdebs
Having just done our medicals we are now optimistically thinking ahead to landing etc. We have a fairly different situation which I would like advice on.
We used to live in the States but moved back to the UK while we went through our application for PR.(Both British). We left all our furniture etc in storage in Washington State. Our plan was to land in Vancouver and then drive a UHAul from Washington to BC with all our "goods". My problem is that I didn't do a very extensive list of what we had in boxes etc., and this was 1 1/2 years ago, before I knew about the goods to follow list. So, if we try to remember as much as possible and explain to the customs person in Vancouver our predicament how leniant will they be, or do we have to fly to Washington first, list everything , and then go on to land at the US/Canadian border?
We also have an old car we have left in storage in Vancouver. Do we have to tell customs about that or can we just reregister it in Canada?
Last question. We applied under skilled worker cat. Can my husband go a month ahead of myself and the kids, or do we all have to land together.
Forgive me if these questions have been asked before. I went back 6 months or so in the search and couldn't find anyone in this position.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Your goods to follow list should be as complete as possible. The main thing is valuable items, TV, stereo should have their serial numbers listed, if possible other stuff, just the no. of boxes with contents, such as 6 boxes assorted household kitchen goods. See: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d2-2-1/d2-2-1-e.pdf

Your car was it bought in the US. Then you better check that it is importable to Canada, see www.riv.ca If it is you have to declare it to Customs, have the modifications done, and inspected before registering it. If it is older than 15 years it can be imported. If it is not importable, you will have to return it to the US and sell it. By rights you should have removed from Canada when you left.

If your spouse is the principal applicant, then he can land before you and the kids.

PMM
Old Oct 18th 2004, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for the information. Since we don't have serial numbers etc with us in the UK, is it possible for my husband to fly to Vancouver, without officially "landing", drive to Washington to pick up the "goods" and complete list, and then reenter Canada with official lists etc. to complete "landing process. I seem to remember reading a post about this sort of thing but could be wrong. Thanks.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Hi PMM. Thanks for the reply. I posted this second question a couple of days ago but got no reply, so I'll try again.
Is it possible to fly to Vancouver without officially "landing", drive down to Washington to do a goods to follow list of our belongings in storage, and then do all the official paperwork at the border crossing. Or. once you have your visa, do you have to do hand all that in the first time you arrive in Canada? Hope that makes sense.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:35 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

hI

Originally Posted by stewdebs
Hi PMM. Thanks for the reply. I posted this second question a couple of days ago but got no reply, so I'll try again.
Is it possible to fly to Vancouver without officially "landing", drive down to Washington to do a goods to follow list of our belongings in storage, and then do all the official paperwork at the border crossing. Or. once you have your visa, do you have to do hand all that in the first time you arrive in Canada? Hope that makes sense.
Yes. No you don't have to land the first time you arrive in Canada.

PMM