Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing - getting started.....priorities

Landing - getting started.....priorities

Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough
Default Landing - getting started.....priorities

Ok. We've doen the nasty paperwork and, medicals and got PR forms to be executed on landing.

Sold the house, sold the car, quit jobs. One way flights land Calgary 13 April.

What to do first? Well, need Sin cards, health registration, bank accounts, cars, car insurance and a rental apartment. But which first?

Will stay in hotel for a week and get a rental car from rentawreck but which of the above can we do first? Most of the above require a proof of address in Canada - help?!! I "hope" the banks will open an account without this as will need an account to pay rent to then get an address. Once you have a rented apartment and a bank letter addressed to it you have the dreaded proof of address.

Any help on car insurance too? A copy of UK driving licence showing clean and acquired in 1994 plus 9 years no claims letter from UK insurer will help - but which brokers / insurers are sympathetic to UK driving history and will this be enough?

Anyone in same position recently (or about to be ) please contribute....
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing - getting started.....priorities

Originally Posted by 99problems
Ok. We've doen the nasty paperwork and, medicals and got PR forms to be executed on landing.

Sold the house, sold the car, quit jobs. One way flights land Calgary 13 April.

What to do first? Well, need Sin cards, health registration, bank accounts, cars, car insurance and a rental apartment. But which first?

Will stay in hotel for a week and get a rental car from rentawreck but which of the above can we do first? Most of the above require a proof of address in Canada - help?!! I "hope" the banks will open an account without this as will need an account to pay rent to then get an address. Once you have a rented apartment and a bank letter addressed to it you have the dreaded proof of address.

Any help on car insurance too? A copy of UK driving licence showing clean and acquired in 1994 plus 9 years no claims letter from UK insurer will help - but which brokers / insurers are sympathetic to UK driving history and will this be enough?

Anyone in same position recently (or about to be ) please contribute....
I would open a bank account first. You will be able to provide your temporary address for this purpose.

I would then look to obtain a rental property and, once this has been done, change the address with the bank. As you will have a written lease, you will have the document to show that you are an Alberta resident which will be needed below.

I would then obtain SIN and health cards. When we arrived, we left with the cards but, if they need to be posted, you will have an address to which they can be sent.

I would then look to obtain a vehicle and insurance.

It will, likely, be much easier than you are expecting. I would not worry at all.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:53 am
Just Joined

pitoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx 99 for strating the thread, i will be on the same boat soon. Target landing in Calgary will be July 23. All informations and opinions shared on this topic will be very valuable to me. Thank you

99 have your sorted you goods to follow? what shipping compnay did you use? Thank you
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Pitoy

I have obtained a quote from Clipper Cargo which was 2 separate quotes - one to collect the boxes from my parents' address in Norfolk and another for the air freight from Gatwick to Calgary. Unfortunately they do not provide onwards freight at Calgary (odd?). I am getting another quote from Transglobal Express which works well as all details online you can generate the quote by inputting box dimensions and weights.

You need to be careful as air freight has peculiar rules precluding everyday items like aerosols (deodorants etc), nail polish, aftershaves/perfumes and batteries. I have packed all of these and now need to pick them out and reopen the boxes.

Everybody fusses about GTF lists but just I have listed everything with a Canadian $ replacement value next to it in a spreadsheet and produced a list for each box (for insurance purposes) but will condense this list for Immigration purposes - you need to do the same for the things you take with you on the plane - main point is Can$ value for everything, try not to take anything still in wrapper etc as is new and could be taxable and electronic items (PCs etc) need to have serial numbers etc - fairly easy for us as all valuables (2 laptops, 2 kindles, watches, jewellery, iphones, ipods etc) are flying with us in hand luggage. If you read the posts some people don't even get asked for it particularly if goods are not arriving with you.

Proof of funds I have a bank statement stating balance and solicitors letter quoting net proceeds of my house sale. Not worried about the landing process really as we done it by the book.........