landing to get PR

Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

befree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default landing to get PR

so i just got my passport back and i now have to leave canada and re-enter to get my PR
is it ok to do this by just going to the boarder and walking over and back in (i dont drive)?
would i have to tell US boarder what im doing?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: landing to get PR

You can do it that way, I think the rules for "flagpolling" changed fairly recently and you may now need to be formally refused entry to the US and then come back to the canadian entry. Its not uncommon, the border people will tell you what to do.

My one and only experience of walking across the border (at niagara falls) was not positive... I think border officials on both sides are suspicious of anyone without a car to be honest. But we made it back into Canada anyway...

Good Luck, and congratulations!

Last edited by iaink; Apr 7th 2010 at 8:34 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice
Default Re: landing to get PR

Originally Posted by befree
so i just got my passport back and i now have to leave canada and re-enter to get my PR
is it ok to do this by just going to the boarder and walking over and back in (i dont drive)?
would i have to tell US boarder what im doing?
Yes, it's called flagpoling.

See here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

I'm going on a trip to the US for a few days and then activating upon return at the airport. I just don't like the idea of "formally being refused entry into the US" plus I heard on here that some immigration officers at the Alberta/Montana border can be rude to 'flagpolers'. Still, that's just me, and I'm sure you will be fine. Try and get a ride from a friend who's a Canadian passport holder.

Good luck.

Last edited by PaulOK; Apr 7th 2010 at 8:38 pm.