Landing for the first time

Old May 21st 2018, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice
Default Landing for the first time

Hi

We got the immigration visa, my wife is the main applicant.
She is going to take the kids for landing in June they are going to stay there for a month then come back to Australia
after that I will go by myself in Aug.

will there be a problem to go in different times or do we have all enter at the same time as a family?

Thanks
Old May 21st 2018, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing for the first time

Originally Posted by KenA
Hi

We got the immigration visa, my wife is the main applicant.
She is going to take the kids for landing in June they are going to stay there for a month then come back to Australia
after that I will go by myself in Aug.

will there be a problem to go in different times or do we have all enter at the same time as a family?

Thanks
You as the Sponsor do not have to go with them.

I assume they are landing to declare PR? Do you have a Canadian address to send the PR cards to?
Old May 21st 2018, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Do you have a Canadian address to send the PR cards to?
That's going to be my second question.
I know they don't send cards overseas, and don't accept PO Boxes.

I don't know how to resolve this !!
Old May 21st 2018, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenA
That's going to be my second question.
I know they don't send cards overseas, and don't accept PO Boxes.

I don't know how to resolve this !!
If you don't have a Canadian address to give them, the PR cards cannot be issued at that time. The new PRs would need to either apply for PR Travel Documents, or enter via the land border after travelling to the USA.

You don't have any Canadian family members or friends who can send them on?
Old May 21st 2018, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help.
Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
You don't have any Canadian family members or friends who can send them on?
I have family members in Canada, but not in good relation with them
Old May 21st 2018, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can I use one of the divert mail services?! so they send the mail to my Australian address?
Old May 21st 2018, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

You dont have to supply a Canadian address immediately. You have up to 6 months IIRC to apply for your PR card direct to Halifax, so plenty of time to get settled first. Catch is that it will take that much longer before you can easily fly out and back in to Canada.
Old May 22nd 2018, 4:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

You dont have to supply a Canadian address immediately. You have up to 6 months IIRC to apply for your PR card direct to Halifax, so plenty of time to get settled first. Catch is that it will take that much longer before you can easily fly out and back in to Canada.
It's my understanding that if you do a soft landing and don't plan to settle immediately then you just apply for the card after you return to Canada. You only need to do it in the first few months after returning as an actual settler. Obviously the caveat though is that you need a PRTD to get back on a flight to Canada again.
Old May 22nd 2018, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It's my understanding that if you do a soft landing and don't plan to settle immediately then you just apply for the card after you return to Canada. You only need to do it in the first few months after returning as an actual settler. Obviously the caveat though is that you need a PRTD to get back on a flight to Canada again.
Official word here:

I am a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a permanent resident card?

Tell them your address within 180 days of your landing (when you activate your CoPR).
Old May 22nd 2018, 4:32 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Official word here:

I am a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a permanent resident card?

Tell them your address within 180 days of your landing (when you activate your CoPR).
That only applies if you land and then stay in Canada immediately after landing though surely. If you soft land and then leave the country for 6 months and have no Canadian address then you wouldn't be able to do that.

I think all that's saying there is that you have 6 months to do it free of charge otherwise you will need to re-apply for the card (assuming you still meet the RO's etc) and pay the $50 fee.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; May 22nd 2018 at 4:34 am.
Old May 22nd 2018, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
That only applies if you land and then stay in Canada immediately after landing though surely. If you soft land and then leave the country for 6 months and have no Canadian address then you wouldn't be able to do that.

I think all that's saying there is that you have 6 months to do it free of charge otherwise you will need to re-apply for the card (assuming you still meet the RO's etc) and pay the $50 fee.
Yes, that's right. 'Soft' or 'hard' landing - you can either supply a Canadian address when you land (which we did with our soft landing) OR within 180 days. If you don't, then you must apply again as stated on the link.
Old May 22nd 2018, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just clarify with my understanding on this and what we plan to do when the time comes:

Soft landing - airbnb 2 weeks - would this be a suitable address to supply or would cards take longer to arrive?

We then leave after the 2 weeks and return a year later after more savings. Based on the above posts, might we be better off supplying a Canadian address after the 1 year in this case and just paying the fee again? 50$ isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.
Old May 22nd 2018, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes
Soft landing - airbnb 2 weeks - would this be a suitable address to supply or would cards take longer to arrive?
No - totally unsuitable. This is a very important formal document, processing times are hard to predict accurately, but likely to take at least 50 days and maybe up to 3 months - and this is assuming they don't request further information (they have been known to request new photos on occasion).

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes
We then leave after the 2 weeks and return a year later after more savings. Based on the above posts, might we be better off supplying a Canadian address after the 1 year in this case and just paying the fee again? 50$ isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

Unless you have a residential address of someone you know at trust in Canada that you can give on landing, what you have described is your only option I'm afraid.
Old May 23rd 2018, 4:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

No - totally unsuitable. This is a very important formal document, processing times are hard to predict accurately, but likely to take at least 50 days and maybe up to 3 months - and this is assuming they don't request further information (they have been known to request new photos on occasion).

Unless you have a residential address of someone you know at trust in Canada that you can give on landing, what you have described is your only option I'm afraid.
I agree 100% with this post. We landed a few weeks ago and then had to return to the UK immediately because of work etc.

Believe me, I looked at options to work around things. I considered remailing services, asking my former colleagues to resend it to me and looking at forwarding residential addresses but in the end it just seemed safer in the long run to bite the bullet.

I did a soft landing, was totally upfront with them that we were leaving the country straight after landing and have resigned myself to paying for a couple of PRTD's and PR cards when we actually move there (probably next year).

Unless you have a contact in Canada who you really, really trust (e.g. a relative) then it just isn't worth the hassle IMHO.
Old May 24th 2018, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Hurlabrick and DigitalGhost, at least we now know what to expect on landing. An extra couple of 50$ fees isn't the end of the world in the grand scheme of things, rather play it safe than sorry. Was under the impression from Brazalot that PR cards would be ready on landing.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.