Landing experiences in Calgary

Old May 2nd 2006, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future
Default Landing experiences in Calgary

Sorry to start another landing thread but I've searched previous threads and haven't really found what I'm looking for. I'll be landing in Calgary on 3rd August at 13.00'ish with the missus and the dog and we're hoping to pick up our rental and make the drive up to Edmonton in time to meet the sales lady with the key's to our new home . I know that no two cases are alike but wondered if anyone could give me an indication of how long it took them to get through immigration, customs, picking up the dog, etc.
Any info will be appreciated!
Thanks
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:40 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing experiences in Calgary

Originally Posted by ralstne
... I know that no two cases are alike but wondered if anyone could give me an indication of how long it took them to get through immigration, customs, picking up the dog, etc.
Thanks
It depends how many people get in front of you in the queue, but I think it must take a minimum af 45 mins ...... and up to a couple of hours!

The actual processes don't take long individually, it's the waiting in line takes the time.
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future

Thanks for such a quick reply Morwenna, thats pretty much what I was expecting. Got a little worried reading threads from people landing in Vancouver and spending four hours trying to get through. Perhaps it'll help if I run like the wind and be first in line!
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Landing experiences in Calgary

Sorry to start another landing thread but I've searched previous threads and haven't really found what I'm looking for. I'll be landing in Calgary on 3rd August at 13.00'ish with the missus and the dog and we're hoping to pick up our rental and make the drive up to Edmonton in time to meet the sales lady with the key's to our new home . I know that no two cases are alike but wondered if anyone could give me an indication of how long it took them to get through immigration, customs, picking up the dog, etc.
Thanks
Hi There! This is my first posting on this site and seeing as I'm a PR in Alberta myself I thought I'd answer your question based on our immigration experience. We arrived at Calgary in August 2003, got off the plane, headed straight for the Immigrations section which probably took all of an hour or so, then got the luggage, which by then had already been taken off and kept to one side. We didn't have any pets, so can't comment on that issue but from what I can remember, it wasn't really any longer than having to wait in your usually long passport control queues. We are a family of 4; mum, dad, son & daughter, so depending how small or large your family is (everyone has to have individual attention), and also depending on how busy it is in that Immigration office is another factor to take into account. It wasn't so busy for us when we arrived. All in all, I can't see you being in the airport longer than 2 hrs. But that's based on what we went through, see what others have to offer.....good luck
Old May 2nd 2006, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi Alberta Jaycee, thanks for your post, I'm sure you'll be a fountain of knowledge on this forum with your experiences in Canada over the past three years. How are you finding life in Red Deer? Is it all you thought it would be?
Old May 2nd 2006, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alberta Jaycee, thanks for your post, I'm sure you'll be a fountain of knowledge on this forum with your experiences in Canada over the past three years. How are you finding life in Red Deer? Is it all you thought it would be?
Hi Ralstne.........I tell you, I love life here now but we have had one heck of a life's experience in the past 3 years! We have come full circle back to Red Deer only last July. If I went into everything we'd been through it'd be time for your bed!!! I'll just start by saying we lived in Red Deer for 7 months, sold up and moved to Exeter, Ontario. Lived there for 8 months. Sold up and gave away EVERYTHING we owned to go back to Manchester (very much against my will). Arrived in Manchester December 2004, HATED, HATED, HATED IT!! Went to Vancouver to try it out there (March-April 2005) - didn't work. Went back to Manchester again. And then I managed to get my own way again by talking hubby round that the best place for us was where it all began....Red Deer. And we've been here now 8 months and we are so, so happy. Life has been wonderful to us. We have had so much insecurity with moving around so much but now we know this is our home and we're not leaving here anytime soon!! Please feel free to ask me anything though, I'd be only too happy to help.....that's why I felt the need to join this great site (not that I do consider myself a wealth of experience hehehe!!!) But ask me anyway
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Sheesh!
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sheesh!
Bet you're sorry you asked about my experiences now eh LOL!!
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

No way! I'd love to hear all the juicy details and I would have asked more right away but thought that all the other folks here on the immigration forum are more interested in quick, informative answers to immigration queries. Maybe we should move the discussion over to the lifestyle forum? I love a story with a happy ending!
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I am so new on here, in fact on any kind of forum in general, so excuse me if I tread on toes where I shouldn't be!! Ralstne, you can always PM me if you like, or I'll start up a new thread in the Canada section

Jaycee
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:59 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
I am so new on here, in fact on any kind of forum in general, so excuse me if I tread on toes where I shouldn't be!! Ralstne, you can always PM me if you like, or I'll start up a new thread in the Canada section

Jaycee
Holy c*** batman, bet the airlines/shipping companies love you jaycee. I am so glad that you are happy now, good luck for the future
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steved61
Holy c*** batman, bet the airlines/shipping companies love you jaycee. I am so glad that you are happy now, good luck for the future
LOL!! let's just say I overcame my fear of flying!!
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:37 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
LOL!! let's just say I overcame my fear of flying!!
LMAO
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:11 am
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
HI

Our landing process was quick and painless we were through in just about an hour. We landed as PR's in Calgary on 25 March 06. If you are landing on a work permit on PNP the process is longer. Also if you get a few of them in front of you, you may be told to go and get your bags first then return to immigration to be processed. Customs was also easy, they had a quick look through our goods to follow list and waved us on.
Can't offer any advice on the dog thing though, sorry.

Good luck and hope your new life goes well.
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:55 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Getting our dog checked through didn't take much longer than 15 mins or so ..... but actually we didn't bring her on the landing trip as such.

I flew back to the UK for a coupla months and brought her back with me on my return home to Calgary!

You just have to take the dog to the animals bit of immigration/customs and show the paperwork regarding vaccines etc, pay $35 (I think) and you're away! The inspector asked me how much sedation ours had had, as she was so subdued, and laughed when I explained I thought she was just sulking!

They didn't take her out of the crate or examine her any further than that. I think some airports they do have a vet check them over, but I'm glad we didn't have to, as it'd been a long trip, and I'd had a LOOOONG wait at the Calgary end already!