Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing experience at Queenston-Lewiston Bridge

Landing experience at Queenston-Lewiston Bridge

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

yogi799 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing experience at Queenston-Lewiston Bridge

Just wanted to share with everyone my landing experience at the above mentioned US-CANADA border crossing.

Since I intended to import my both vehicles to Canada from the US, I faxed copies of titles to the US customs a week before landing. When I finally arrived with a HUGE Uhaul truck (24-footer towing a car trailer) at the US side of the bridge, I went inside the US customs building and met a cold-looking lady who went outside and checked the VINs of my both exported vehicles. After she verified the VINs, she stamped my titles so the Canadians would accept my vehicles for imporation. This took 10 minutes (as she had to find my faxed copies in the stash of papers and verify that they were cleared).

Then, noone else from the US side cared about us leaving the USA. We slowly drove on to the bridge and enjoyed the view down. It was pretty. Soon, we started seeing the maple leaf and some French signs. We were approaching Canada... First, we drove to the "drive thru" inspection gates. There I met a relaxed-seating young guy who asked me a few questions, such as my nationality, status in the US, and what I'm bringing along. This guys was so extremely nice that it set me in a similarly positive mood. He told me a story about one guys who did not clear his car titles with US customs and had to go back... etc... Then, he pointed at the immigration building 100 meters away and told me to go in there. What is interesting is that he trusted me by my WORD that I am doing my landing - he never asked me to show my passport or any other landing documents! Then he told me to go inside the building and since it was quite a distance away - he had no way of knowing if I acutally did or not! So much for Canadian border protection... Everyone can say they're landing and just bypass the immigr. building and proceed onto Canada unchecked... that was my experience. This part took maybe 5 minutes.

Anyway, we did go inside the building as requested and there we met an immigration officer. This guy was quiet. He asked for all my papers and passports, Canadian address and money in posession in cash. He then asked us to sign the Conf of PR and showed us onto Customs. This took about 20 minutes as he had quite a bit to do since there were four of us in the family. All the immigration people were extrememly nice and were checking out our kids. Everyone similing and having a good time!

Customs people were equally nice. A guy asked me for my goods accompanying list and then took about 20 minutes filling out my vehicle importation forms. Then, I was asked to pay the fee for each car. At NO POINT did they ever go outside and look at our huge Uhaul or our cars. I really appreciated that! :-)

So, the whole process took about an hour, maybe 90 minutes if my timing was off. Somewhere around there. Everyone was very nice to us and treated us with a great respect. They didn't say "Welcome to Canada" as they do at the airports, but their behavior was overall great!

Hope this helps.

Ask anything you want guys. Thanks to everyone who supported my case as it was going through. I appreciated all the help I got!

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:00 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Landing experience at Queenston-Lewiston Bridge

Sounds great, hope to be there soon. Congradulations and thanks for the www.yogi799.com tracker.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yogi

Originally Posted by yogi799
Just wanted to share with everyone my landing experience at the above mentioned US-CANADA border crossing.

Since I intended to import my both vehicles to Canada from the US, I faxed copies of titles to the US customs a week before landing. When I finally arrived with a HUGE Uhaul truck (24-footer towing a car trailer) at the US side of the bridge, I went inside the US customs building and met a cold-looking lady who went outside and checked the VINs of my both exported vehicles. After she verified the VINs, she stamped my titles so the Canadians would accept my vehicles for imporation. This took 10 minutes (as she had to find my faxed copies in the stash of papers and verify that they were cleared).

Then, noone else from the US side cared about us leaving the USA. We slowly drove on to the bridge and enjoyed the view down. It was pretty. Soon, we started seeing the maple leaf and some French signs. We were approaching Canada... First, we drove to the "drive thru" inspection gates. There I met a relaxed-seating young guy who asked me a few questions, such as my nationality, status in the US, and what I'm bringing along. This guys was so extremely nice that it set me in a similarly positive mood. He told me a story about one guys who did not clear his car titles with US customs and had to go back... etc... Then, he pointed at the immigration building 100 meters away and told me to go in there. What is interesting is that he trusted me by my WORD that I am doing my landing - he never asked me to show my passport or any other landing documents! Then he told me to go inside the building and since it was quite a distance away - he had no way of knowing if I acutally did or not! So much for Canadian border protection... Everyone can say they're landing and just bypass the immigr. building and proceed onto Canada unchecked... that was my experience. This part took maybe 5 minutes.

Anyway, we did go inside the building as requested and there we met an immigration officer. This guy was quiet. He asked for all my papers and passports, Canadian address and money in posession in cash. He then asked us to sign the Conf of PR and showed us onto Customs. This took about 20 minutes as he had quite a bit to do since there were four of us in the family. All the immigration people were extrememly nice and were checking out our kids. Everyone similing and having a good time!

Customs people were equally nice. A guy asked me for my goods accompanying list and then took about 20 minutes filling out my vehicle importation forms. Then, I was asked to pay the fee for each car. At NO POINT did they ever go outside and look at our huge Uhaul or our cars. I really appreciated that! :-)

So, the whole process took about an hour, maybe 90 minutes if my timing was off. Somewhere around there. Everyone was very nice to us and treated us with a great respect. They didn't say "Welcome to Canada" as they do at the airports, but their behavior was overall great!

Hope this helps.

Ask anything you want guys. Thanks to everyone who supported my case as it was going through. I appreciated all the help I got!

Glad it went well for you. They know if you bypass secondary, when directed. At most ports a siren will go off and the next thing you know if a police car chasing you up the highway.

PMM
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

esteloval is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Yogi Thanks for sharing your experience, but I have one question, what did you use for proof of fund?
Este
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

yogi799 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esteloval
Hi Yogi Thanks for sharing your experience, but I have one question, what did you use for proof of fund?
Este

Nothing, just told the officer how much cash I had and he just noted it down.