Landing Experience - Peace Bridge

Old Dec 10th 2004, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

sandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Landing Experience - Peace Bridge

Hi,
I landed in Canada today. I was very tensed over a couple of weeks as to how I can land. My problem was I had expired H1 stamping and Valid I-94. I went to the Immigration office at the Peace Bridge (US side) and an officer was very helpful. He told me that if I-94 is valid and as i am from India I qualify for automatic revalidation and I can visit canada for less than 30 days with expired visa.
The landing process was very smooth in Canada altough the immigration officer told me that I have to come once again to collect PR card. Also I asked her if I needed to apply for PR card she told it is not necessary and they will send paper work to the address in canada which I gave to them stating when I can collect the PR.
That was news to me as I thought that PR will be mailed after I fill the form.
The customs officer was also very cool and really did not ask me any thing else as I gave him the Goods carrying with me and Goods to Follow List.

The total process took about 10-15 Mins and I was out of the office in 20 mins. I then came to USA through the peace bridge and very tensed as to if there will be any problem entering USA. To my surprise it happened so smooth and so fast that I had to literally stop my car after entering USA and see if it is for real. They did not ask me for anything in the USA entry side and just allowed me inside with correct I-94.

I have one concern tough, When I came from Canadian Side no one ever bothered to put an exit stamp on my passport. So how do they know if I am in USA or Canada and how will they count the # of days?
Does any one have any experience on this.

I rented a car from buffalo which was a one way rental but I later changed it and will return it in Buffalo.

Over all it was a very pleasant and smooth experience
Old Dec 10th 2004, 1:56 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landing Experience - Peace Bridge

There are no exit stamps when leaving Canada or US (although US is implementing exit controls soon). US and Canadian systems are integrated and it is obvious for Canadians that you left Canada once your entry to US is noted in US database, including your car's license plates.

Originally Posted by sandeep0909
Hi,
I landed in Canada today. I was very tensed over a couple of weeks as to how I can land. My problem was I had expired H1 stamping and Valid I-94. I went to the Immigration office at the Peace Bridge (US side) and an officer was very helpful. He told me that if I-94 is valid and as i am from India I qualify for automatic revalidation and I can visit canada for less than 30 days with expired visa.
The landing process was very smooth in Canada altough the immigration officer told me that I have to come once again to collect PR card. Also I asked her if I needed to apply for PR card she told it is not necessary and they will send paper work to the address in canada which I gave to them stating when I can collect the PR.
That was news to me as I thought that PR will be mailed after I fill the form.
The customs officer was also very cool and really did not ask me any thing else as I gave him the Goods carrying with me and Goods to Follow List.

The total process took about 10-15 Mins and I was out of the office in 20 mins. I then came to USA through the peace bridge and very tensed as to if there will be any problem entering USA. To my surprise it happened so smooth and so fast that I had to literally stop my car after entering USA and see if it is for real. They did not ask me for anything in the USA entry side and just allowed me inside with correct I-94.

I have one concern tough, When I came from Canadian Side no one ever bothered to put an exit stamp on my passport. So how do they know if I am in USA or Canada and how will they count the # of days?
Does any one have any experience on this.

I rented a car from buffalo which was a one way rental but I later changed it and will return it in Buffalo.

Over all it was a very pleasant and smooth experience
Old Dec 10th 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

sandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the reply Mr Miller. That relieves me a lot ,altough in the USA side they did not put any entry or exit stamp with date in my passport what I did notice is that in both canada and USA they noted my Rental Car # and did some verification in their Database.
Needless to say Uncle Sam is Smart !!!
Old Dec 16th 2004, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Aspirant2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sandeep,
How would you re-enter Canada since you do not have the PR visa and you are in the US? Are you planning to have someone send the PR thru FedEx from Canada?

How can one reenter Canada in the interim? When you are in the US, and you have landed and still waiting for the PR to be issued? Say for an interview or something?

-Aspirant2000
Thanks for the reply Mr Miller. That relieves me a lot ,altough in the USA side they did not put any entry or exit stamp with date in my passport what I did notice is that in both canada and USA they noted my Rental Car # and did some verification in their Database.
Needless to say Uncle Sam is Smart !!!
Old Dec 16th 2004, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

You can travel to canada with the copy of landing paper as many times as you want if you are travelling by car and crossing the bridge.However you cannot travel with that document if you intend to fly.if you have not got the PR and you intend to fly to canada, you have to apply for a separate travel document.
Originally Posted by Aspirant2000
Sandeep,
How would you re-enter Canada since you do not have the PR visa and you are in the US? Are you planning to have someone send the PR thru FedEx from Canada?

How can one reenter Canada in the interim? When you are in the US, and you have landed and still waiting for the PR to be issued? Say for an interview or something?

-Aspirant2000
Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

NathanS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I landed in Canada today. I was very tensed over a couple of weeks as to how I can land. My problem was I had expired H1 stamping and Valid I-94. I went to the Immigration office at the Peace Bridge (US side) and an officer was very helpful. He told me that if I-94 is valid and as i am from India I qualify for automatic revalidation and I can visit canada for less than 30 days
Sandeep,
Did you have to go back to pick up the PR card as you were told or did you get it at the address you provided? I was told by the immigration officer that a notification would be sent to the address I provided and I would have to pick the PR card up when I move to Canada permanently after three months.

thanks a lot....

-NS