Landing experience (Ottawa,ON)

Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:01 pm
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

ABW is on a distinguished road
Talking Landing experience (Ottawa,ON)

Landed at YOW at 12:00 PM EST on Friday August 4, 2006.

The Customs agent prompted me to the Immigration section after waiting inline for 45 minutes.
The immigration agent then checked my COPR and had me signed the bottom portion. He then prompted me to the Customs to fill up my goods to follow list.
I didn't bring any good since I planned to fly back to the states to bring all my stuff (TV, more clothes, etc.).
Off my merry way. Signed my apartment. Updated status on my Social Insurance Number and exchanged driver's license to Ontario yesterday.
Next chores, opening a bank account and applying for OHIP.

I have questions for the experts here:
Do they mail the Maple Leaf card or do I have to pick it up?

The Immigration agent mentioned that my studying in Canada from 1996 to 1998 counted as one year based on this statement: "Each day you lived in Canada before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day."
Is this true?

The Canadian Customs mentioned that I cannot resell goods I bring to Canada. Does it mean if I drive my car up here, I can't trade it in with something else?

Thank You

Here is my timeline:
Skilled worker, US citizen, Buffalo RPC, Destination: Ottawa,ON
Sent App: 11/15/2004
AOR: 03/17/2005
IA : 12/13/2005
MEDICAL: 12/13/2005
PPR: 06/13/2006
Landed 08/04/2006
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:02 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing experience (Ottawa,ON)

Congratulations
Originally Posted by ABW
Landed at YOW at 12:00 PM EST on Friday August 4, 2006.

The Customs agent prompted me to the Immigration section after waiting inline for 45 minutes.
The immigration agent then checked my COPR and had me signed the bottom portion. He then prompted me to the Customs to fill up my goods to follow list.
I didn't bring any good since I planned to fly back to the states to bring all my stuff (TV, more clothes, etc.).
Off my merry way. Signed my apartment. Updated status on my Social Insurance Number and exchanged driver's license to Ontario yesterday.
Next chores, opening a bank account and applying for OHIP.

I have questions for the experts here:
Do they mail the Maple Leaf card or do I have to pick it up?
They will mail it to a new resident. Existing residents had to go pick them up in person. If you didnt have a permanent address when you landed, you could leave it blank, and then use the website to update them when you arrange that.

The Immigration agent mentioned that my studying in Canada from 1996 to 1998 counted as one year based on this statement: "Each day you lived in Canada before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day."
Is this true?
Its true, sort of, but not in your case. For citizenship purposes its years out of the last 4 that count only, so that offer has expired for want of a better word. If you were a student for the last 2 years, and were now transforming out of your cocoon into a beautiful PR, then you would only have to do 2 years as a PR to meet the three out of four requirement. But as your temporary status was more than 4 years ago it doesnt count I'm afraid

The Canadian Customs mentioned that I cannot resell goods I bring to Canada. Does it mean if I drive my car up here, I can't trade it in with something else?
Dunno
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:52 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing experience (Ottawa,ON)

Hi

Originally Posted by iaink
CongratulationsThey will mail it to a new resident. Existing residents had to go pick them up in person. If you didnt have a permanent address when you landed, you could leave it blank, and then use the website to update them when you arrange that. Its true, sort of, but not in your case. For citizenship purposes its years out of the last 4 that count only, so that offer has expired for want of a better word. If you were a student for the last 2 years, and were now transforming out of your cocoon into a beautiful PR, then you would only have to do 2 years as a PR to meet the three out of four requirement. But as your temporary status was more than 4 years ago it doesnt count I'm afraid
Dunno
You cannot dispose of your settlement goods for 1 year, see: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/...html#retention