Landing Experience Montreal

Old May 26th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing Experience Montreal

I landed at 5 p.m. on Friday. At the airport I was first sent to Federal Immigration. I was the only person landing so it was quite quick. I did all the paperwork, said how much money I was bringing with me and was given lots of forms to fill in and welcomed to Canada, up to this point everything was in English.

I was then sent along to Quebec Immigration, here everything was in french. They checked my documents, and complimented me on my french.
They then tried to arrange a settlement interview for me, but I explained that it was just a short trip this time, but that I would be returning with my family in a months time, after speaking with a colleague it was agreed that I would have the interview when I came back with my family.

They gave me lots of information on provincial services and contact numbers and welcomed me to Quebec.

I was then told to pick up my luggage and go to customs where I submitted my goods to follow lists which they completed, stamped and gave me a copy of.

It was all extremely quick and trouble free with the exception of customs where someone brought in some illegal foodstuffs and they had to spend ages dealing with them.

After completing my paperwork, customs told me that I was now officially an immigrant, and then said in a threatening voice, NEVER BRING FOOD INTO CANADA.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Landing Experience Montreal

You mean a serious threatening tone? Or was he kind of half kidding?

Glad everything went smoothly for you
Old May 27th 2008, 4:14 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ill_only_miss_eastenders
You mean a serious threatening tone? Or was he kind of half kidding?
Not kidding at all. They are very serious about it. I've seen Agriculture Canada guys with sniffer dogs at Ottawa airport. When I landed, eight years ago, and was clearing customs, a woman at the next booth was being verbally taken apart because she had a salami in her suitcase (confiscation, fines, the lot). I got grief just last year for not declaring, as food, a bar of Toblerone I'd bought at LHR.

In my experience, Canada's border officials take a harder line on food naughties than just about anything else.
Old May 27th 2008, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough

wow i guess I've been pretty lucky then. Ive always flown to Montreal and always brought Cadbury Flakes with me as my friends in Canada love them but cant get them there. On two occasions they have sent me in the little room when Ive handed over my decleration card and both times they have looked through my bag and not said a thing about my Flakes The only food they have ever taken off me is a chicken wrap that got served on the plane and I'd forgotton I'd put in my bag but they didnt get angry or anything in fact they were the opposite and told me nicely that i wasnt allowed to bring it through. I seriously didnt know i was doing anything wrong but now I do I wont be bringing them anymore. Immigration is way scary!
Old May 28th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

I don't think that there is a serious problem with bringing food. I travel quite often and bring food stuffs. Try and bring in sealed plastic bags, I even brought some loose chocolates and plant seeds last time I went to Swiss. But as long as they are in sealed properly packed they don't bother. The best way is to get the stuff in original company packing. Again this is my experience... and not the law.
Old May 28th 2008, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

gembers is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations,

do make sure you get to those settlement seminars as they give you lots of information about childcare, family benefits and free French class for your family (sounds like you don't need it yourself!). If you settle in Montreal these seminars are held at the tower on de Maisonneuve next to Berri-Uqam metro station.
Old May 28th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks we'll make sure we go
Old May 28th 2008, 9:20 am
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

Flew into Toronto earlier this year with left over sarnies in our bags, declared them at passport control when asked, they wrote 'SNACKS' across it in big letters and told us to go through nothing to declare. No problems.
No sense, no consitency, just declare and hope!
Old May 29th 2008, 2:45 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Landing Experience Montreal

Originally Posted by britsnake
I landed at 5 p.m. on Friday. At the airport I was first sent to Federal Immigration. I was the only person landing so it was quite quick. I did all the paperwork, said how much money I was bringing with me and was given lots of forms to fill in and welcomed to Canada, up to this point everything was in English.

I was then sent along to Quebec Immigration, here everything was in french. They checked my documents, and complimented me on my french.
They then tried to arrange a settlement interview for me, but I explained that it was just a short trip this time, but that I would be returning with my family in a months time, after speaking with a colleague it was agreed that I would have the interview when I came back with my family.

They gave me lots of information on provincial services and contact numbers and welcomed me to Quebec.

I was then told to pick up my luggage and go to customs where I submitted my goods to follow lists which they completed, stamped and gave me a copy of.

It was all extremely quick and trouble free with the exception of customs where someone brought in some illegal foodstuffs and they had to spend ages dealing with them.

After completing my paperwork, customs told me that I was now officially an immigrant, and then said in a threatening voice, NEVER BRING FOOD INTO CANADA.
Hi Britsnake

Congratulations on your landing

Just wanted to wish you and your family good luck with your new life in canada
Old May 29th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your kind wishes. Though it's something we have worked towards for many years it is only now beginning to feel real.

We are all full of hope and a little fear for the future.

I wish you and your family every success in your move to Canada.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your kind wishes. Though it's something we have worked towards for many years it is only now beginning to feel real.

Congratulations!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:39 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for relaying your experiences, its a daunting prospect going through immigration, glad it went well for you.
Good luck
Terese