Wikiposts

Landing experience

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing experience

Hi,

Seems the thing to do, so thought i'd record my experience of landing in Toronto.

We're here for just a week...got a heap of interviews lined up, so hopefully won't be long before we are here for good.

Landing was easy. Got directed to the immigration room after passport control. One person in the queue in front of us. The clerk was grumpy as hell. He asked for proof of funds (had a bank statement, that was fine). Got really sniffy about the fact that we were having our PR cards sent to a friend in BC "Are sure you can trust them?" was the question he asked 10 times. He also said "Do not under circumstances allow them to send your PR cards by international mail". We just kept quiet...we'll get them fedex'd when they arrive. Took about 10 mins. We then picked up some new arrival bumf and went to customs.

At customs we told them we needed to do the goods to follow thing. They directed us to a special bit for goods to declare. We had printed 2 copies of a list of everything we own (you don't need to itemise clothes, bedding or kitchen utensils etc, just estimate value) WE DID NOT FILL IN THE SPECIAL FORM they do this for you and staple your list to the back and stamp it.

The whole process took less time than it takes to pass through Heathrow on a good day

Today we went into a government office and got our SIN numbers which to need to work and open bank accounts etc. We did this in Montreal where I am currently interviewing, even though we have no intention of living in Quebec. We used the same address as the PR cards, and although the SIN cards won't be sent for a week or two, our SIN numbers are active immediately.

I have had some very positive interviews so far this week, and in my sector, pharmaceuticals, they seem desperate for high quality Ph.Ds, so things are looking up.

I already feel like this our home...shame we have to go back to the UK on saturday
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: Landing experience

Well done the Bear !!

Feels more of a relief doesn't it.

We need to get our SIN, something we could have done when we got there, but will do as soon as we come for good. PR cards haven't got to our friends address yet, it has been 6 weeks so may be in the next week or so.

Best of luck with the interviews and job prospects

JET
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Congratulations on landing. Sorry to hear about the IO at the airport, but oh well. Best wishes with everything.

Ray
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers. It is a relief, I was worried the ash cloud was going to trap us in the UK all summer, and we were going to lose the visa!!