Landing Documents

Old Dec 22nd 2016, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing Documents

I have not received my COPR in the mail yet but I was planning ahead for landing and found this list of documents that might be needed;

The only documents that would apply to me would be; birth certificate, passport, degree and maybe employer reference letters and medical (immigration medical results).

Are all of these documents mandatory? And in the case of a birth certificate which I don't have on my person (it's in the UK with my parents who could mail it to me) I'm guessing I would have to have the original and not a copy?
                      Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:17 am
                      Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
                      Default Re: Landing Documents

Originally Posted by twist_freeride
                      I have not received my COPR in the mail yet but I was planning ahead for landing and found this list of documents that might be needed;

The only documents that would apply to me would be; birth certificate, passport, degree and maybe employer reference letters and medical (immigration medical results).

Are all of these documents mandatory? And in the case of a birth certificate which I don't have on my person (it's in the UK with my parents who could mail it to me) I'm guessing I would have to have the original and not a copy?
                                          Providing you have the COPR forms the only other document you essentially need is your passport and if establishing a residence on landing a list of goods to follow.
                                          Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:30 am
                                          Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
                                          Providing you have the COPR forms the only other document you essentially need is your passport and if establishing a residence on landing a list of goods to follow.
                                          Perfect, thanks FL
                                          Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:39 am
                                          SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We 'landed' 2 weeks ago and as FL said...only our passports were required.
                                          Old Dec 23rd 2016, 8:21 am
                                          Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Can I interrupt to ask a quick question about goods accompanying. I am I Canada on a work permit and will soon land as a PR. My clothing, Ipad, whisky collection, bits and bobs are in Canada and were brought in when I arrived. Only individual item I have of real value is a wristwatch worth about $8,000-$10,000.

I plan to land by going around the flagpole at Point Roberts. Do you know if I have to declare the items I have in Canada at the moment? I have no goods to follow. Goods accompanying will be the clothes on my back, phone in my pocket and watch. Is it best to wear the watch and declare it in order that it is covered as lawfully imported when I come and go in future?
                                          Old Dec 23rd 2016, 9:17 am
                                          Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
                                          Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
                                          Can I interrupt to ask a quick question about goods accompanying. I am I Canada on a work permit and will soon land as a PR. My clothing, Ipad, whisky collection, bits and bobs are in Canada and were brought in when I arrived. Only individual item I have of real value is a wristwatch worth about $8,000-$10,000.

I plan to land by going around the flagpole at Point Roberts. Do you know if I have to declare the items I have in Canada at the moment? I have no goods to follow. Goods accompanying will be the clothes on my back, phone in my pocket and watch. Is it best to wear the watch and declare it in order that it is covered as lawfully imported when I come and go in future?
                                          Declare the watch on landing. Do the landing and tell CBSA you have no goods to follow at a later date. Tell them all other goods were brought in when you came in on the work permit. You could prepare a list just in case you get an inexperienced officer of the goods you previously brought in.
                                          Old Dec 23rd 2016, 10:31 am
                                          Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
                                          I plan to land by going around the flagpole at Point Roberts.
                                          I had a terrible experience with flag-poling at this crossing.

Maybe flag-poling at Point Roberts is different when becoming a permanent resident, as opposed to activating a temporary work permit which is what I was doing; but here was my experience.

I received a PNP nomination a couple of years ago and I thought I would save myself some time with border line ups by going to Point Roberts to flag pole for my new work permit instead of Peace Arch, but it actually turned out to be a horrible idea.

Although it was very quiet and I was able to go straight in, the border officers didn't seem to really know what was needed in order for me to activate my work permit. I kept getting conflicting information with regards to documents that I needed to give them and I ended up having to go home (luckily just to Vancouver) and try again 3 times. Each time I tried to flagpole I had a different border officer and each time they were vague and asked me for something different that the officer previously hadn't mentioned.

After getting sent away with no work visa for the 3rd time I gave up at Point Roberts and went to Peace Arch where they seemed to know what to do and issued my permit straight away; whilst also telling me that some of the documents that I had been asked for at Point Roberts were not required.

I'm not sure if the officers at Point Roberts are just less experienced or not, but it is worth noting that during my second attempt to flagpole there I overheard two of the officers complaining that dealing with visas and immigration is not their job and they shouldn't have to do it.

Maybe I just got unlucky but in hindsight for me I should have just gone to Peace Arch in the first place. That said, I have heard people say that you are treated with much less speculation when landing as a permanent resident as opposed to a temporary resident, so who knows!

Hope you have a smooth landing either way!

Last edited by twist_freeride; Dec 23rd 2016 at 11:37 am.
                                          Old Dec 28th 2016, 8:50 am
                                          Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twist_freeride
                                          I had a terrible experience with flag-poling at this crossing.

Maybe flag-poling at Point Roberts is different when becoming a permanent resident, as opposed to activating a temporary work permit which is what I was doing; but here was my experience.

I received a PNP nomination a couple of years ago and I thought I would save myself some time with border line ups by going to Point Roberts to flag pole for my new work permit instead of Peace Arch, but it actually turned out to be a horrible idea.

Although it was very quiet and I was able to go straight in, the border officers didn't seem to really know what was needed in order for me to activate my work permit. I kept getting conflicting information with regards to documents that I needed to give them and I ended up having to go home (luckily just to Vancouver) and try again 3 times. Each time I tried to flagpole I had a different border officer and each time they were vague and asked me for something different that the officer previously hadn't mentioned.

After getting sent away with no work visa for the 3rd time I gave up at Point Roberts and went to Peace Arch where they seemed to know what to do and issued my permit straight away; whilst also telling me that some of the documents that I had been asked for at Point Roberts were not required.

I'm not sure if the officers at Point Roberts are just less experienced or not, but it is worth noting that during my second attempt to flagpole there I overheard two of the officers complaining that dealing with visas and immigration is not their job and they shouldn't have to do it.

Maybe I just got unlucky but in hindsight for me I should have just gone to Peace Arch in the first place. That said, I have heard people say that you are treated with much less speculation when landing as a permanent resident as opposed to a temporary resident, so who knows!

Hope you have a smooth landing either way!

Thanks Twisty. I actually flagpoled at Point Roberts last year when I renewed a work permit. It was the most convenient for me because I do not have a car. I did get the question "why this office?" and I gave that reason - they accepted it. I do get the impression that they do not like to do work permits at that crossing but for me the cost of getting to Peace Arch really do make it worth a shot. Thanks for the info. I will share my landing experience.