Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing with Canadian on UK passport?

Landing with Canadian on UK passport?

Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:47 am
Just Joined

nhbiker is on a distinguished road
Default Landing with Canadian on UK passport?

Ok here is the deal, with all the rush to get my passport sent off for visa issuance and landing before Feb 18th, we totally forgot about getting hubby (my sponsor) a Canadian passport. He is dual UK/Canadian and has always lived in the UK and travelled on his UK passport.

Is this going to be an issue when we try to land in a couple of weeks? or is it a case of showing his citizenship card and telling them the truth - that he never got round to getting a Canadian passport and plans to do so when we move for good later this year?
We fly out on the 9th Feb and there really is not time to get him a PP before we go.
Any experience of this? any advice? I am tearing my hair out as I never thought about this lol
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing with Canadian on UK passport?

What airline are you flying with? If it's a charter airline, he may not be allowed to board unless he has a return ticket.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
What airline are you flying with? If it's a charter airline, he may not be allowed to board unless he has a return ticket.
Air Transat and Thomas Cook (both charter airlines) have single ticket fares available (and cheaply) and Air Canada also does.

I have travelled on a single ticket with Air Transat and have not had a problem with boarding. (The only problem I had was with Immigration but they let me in).

The nhbiker's husband presumably has some ID to show he is a Canadian Citizen - simply showing that would be sufficient to allay any questions at the departing airport (he is, after all, returning home). As to nhbiker, all she has to do is show her PR Visa and explain she is "landing" - no other questions would be asked.

To nhbiker:

If your husband has some identification showing that he is a Canadian Citizen I do not believe there should be a problem. Dual Nationality is just that - Dual - and either passport should be sufficient to travel with.

Please see here for the official line on dual nationalities.

"Canada and the UK accept dual nationality. A person may hold both citizenships and may carry both British and Canadian passports if they so desire.

Unlike the Citizenship Act in effect in Canada up to 1977, the present Act allows a Canadian citizen to acquire foreign nationality without automatically losing Canadian citizenship.

A Canadian citizen may retain Canadian citizenship, unless (s)he voluntarily applies to renounce it and the application has been approved by the citizenship judge.

The present Act makes it possible to have two or more citizenships and allegiances at the same time for an indefinite period.

Additional details can be found in the Dual Citizenship section of the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website."

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 18th 2010 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

We will be flying in to Detroit and using one of the bridges at Windsor to do the actual landing. We will not be staying as there is not enough time to clear the decks here before the visa times out on Feb 18th so he definitely will have a return ticket.

I don't think that part of things will be too much of an issue, my main worry is that as my Canadian sponsor, he does not actually have a Canadian passport, nor has he ever had one. Is this going to be a deal breaker? or will we be ok showing his UK passport and Canadian citizenship card and telling them that by the time we come back to stay he will have his proper passport to be admitted as a returning citizen rather than a visitor?

Thanks for any help on this one
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info re airlines siouxie, that will be really helpful when we come back to stay on a 1 way ticket.
I guess my concern is that as we did the spousal sponsorship where he stated he would return to Canada when the visa was issued, will it not look a little odd that the Canadian of the duo tries to enter as a visitor at my landing lol.
Maybe I am worrying far too much about this, but it would truly suck if we got there in plenty of time as far as visa validity was concerned and they refused to land me because my hubby did not have the correct documents lol.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I think all you would need to say is that you are landing for landing purposes and that you are both returning to the UK to finalise your move. after which time you will both be returning to Canada permanantly.

As a Canadian Citizen your husband is not a visitor per se - he is a returnee!

Don't forget to ensure you have your personal goods accounting document and the goods to follow list with you when you land.

Your husband should also read the returning residents customs pages

For information about proof of citizenship see here

Your husband can apply for a passport whilst residing in the UK - using this form and can then safely say "My passport application has been made" **NB having just read the application, he would need to submit original proof of citizenship (no copies allowed) so I would leave this until your return to the UK once you have landed. **

Hope that helps

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 18th 2010 at 2:04 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Won't make a difference, charter or sched, they treat all one ways pretty much the same. Charters if anything are more picky as they don't want to give anyone a ride back unexpectedly.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

Hi nhbiker,
Just for reassurance, I'm a UK and Canadian citizen without a Canadian passport. I've travelled many times into Canada on a one way ticket with nothing but my UK passport and citizenship card and have never had the slightest bit of trouble with immigration. All they require is "proof of citizenship". If you want the extra comfort and reassurance though I know my expired Canadian passport has helped me prove to the US my citizenship when going from Canada to US on a UK passport plus citizenship card, but you really have no need to worry. Amazingly I was even told by the Canadian embassy that my Canadian passport isn't even technically proof of citizenship. Your husband's citizenship card is a lot more important (despite the fact it looks like you could have made the thing at home).
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
As you are not landing until later this year for good, I can't see why it would be a problem going as a visitor using his UK ppt.......after all you do have return tickets for this trip, I am assuming. Passport control dont ask anyone if they are a different nationality to the passport....as long as he does have one.....He is dual citizen after all.
This is my opinion....Hope it helps
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by nhbiker
Ok here is the deal, with all the rush to get my passport sent off for visa issuance and landing before Feb 18th, we totally forgot about getting hubby (my sponsor) a Canadian passport. He is dual UK/Canadian and has always lived in the UK and travelled on his UK passport.

Is this going to be an issue when we try to land in a couple of weeks? or is it a case of showing his citizenship card and telling them the truth - that he never got round to getting a Canadian passport and plans to do so when we move for good later this year?
We fly out on the 9th Feb and there really is not time to get him a PP before we go.
Any experience of this? any advice? I am tearing my hair out as I never thought about this lol
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess maybe I am worrying too much about this - I do have a tendency to overthink things and I think this is my last minute panic lol. With 3 weeks to go I am a nervous wreck.

Simonfiction, thank you immensely for your advice, it really helps knowing someone travels in this way without trouble and makes me feel a whole lot better. Not sure I will be allowed to travel and land if I *strangle* my hubby beforetime lol and you have helped me see it may not come to that

I now have to get cracking with my goods to follow list, luckily we are not going to be taking much so hope to have that finished by this weekend. Hubby is going to let me put all the stuff on my list and as a returnee he will have nothing lol.

Thanks again, will let everyone know how it went when I have landed
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

HI
Are you going to be settling in Windsor....only asking as we hope to live in LaSalle later this year
Good luck with the visit
lol
Stef

We will be flying in to Detroit and using one of the bridges at Windsor to do the actual landing. We will not be staying as there is not enough time to clear the decks here before the visa times out on Feb 18th so he definitely will have a return ticket.

I don't think that part of things will be too much of an issue, my main worry is that as my Canadian sponsor, he does not actually have a Canadian passport, nor has he ever had one. Is this going to be a deal breaker? or will we be ok showing his UK passport and Canadian citizenship card and telling them that by the time we come back to stay he will have his proper passport to be admitted as a returning citizen rather than a visitor?

Thanks for any help on this one
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes, we are planning on settling Windsor/LaSalle/Tecumseh.
Of course that may change when we get there and see if we like it or not

Good luck with your move too )) been a long wait for you guys I believe
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:29 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I guess my concern is that as we did the spousal sponsorship where he stated he would return to Canada when the visa was issued
When we landed a few months back my wife (Canadian) accompanied me through to immigration but they focussed on me only. My wife did not have to show or prove anything.

I dare say you'll be fine. Nothing to worry about as it's you who's landing, not your other half.

Relax
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:31 am
Just Joined

LOL thanks el_richo, I promise I will try to chill out
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

Simonfiction, thank you immensely for your advice, it really helps knowing someone travels in this way without trouble and makes me feel a whole lot better. Not sure I will be allowed to travel and land if I *strangle* my hubby beforetime lol and you have helped me see it may not come to that
No worries. Personally I don't think I'll ever bother with a Canadian passport. The cost of keeping one passport is expensive enough and you really don't need a Canadian one to prove your citizenship. Plus the Canadian ones only last a measly 5 years.

Above all though just be 100% honest with immigration and you won't go wrong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.