Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:46 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
Dr.T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

This may seem like a silly question but my spouse has just been to the CHC London to drop off her passport for PR visa insertion and she was told by another applicant that once landed one had to stay for at least 3 months. We intend to go over to Vancouver for 10 days in July - 'Land' then come back to the UK to sell our house and make final arrangements etc. before finally moving over in September.

Everything we have been told up to this point is that after processing at a port of Entry into Canada one can return to one's original embarkation any time one wants. Can anyone shed any light on this? I think the other applicant has go it wrong but we don't want to be misinformed and I have found this website to be a font of knowledge with regard to Canadian immigration matters so I thought I'd enquire here.

Many thanks!
Dr.T is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:48 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,378
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

Originally Posted by Dr.T
This may seem like a silly question but my spouse has just been to the CHC London to drop off her passport for PR visa insertion and she was told by another applicant that once landed one had to stay for at least 3 months. We intend to go over to Vancouver for 10 days in July - 'Land' then come back to the UK to sell our house and make final arrangements etc. before finally moving over in September.

Everything we have been told up to this point is that after processing at a port of Entry into Canada one can return to one's original embarkation any time one wants. Can anyone shed any light on this? I think the other applicant has go it wrong but we don't want to be misinformed and I have found this website to be a font of knowledge with regard to Canadian immigration matters so I thought I'd enquire here.

Many thanks!
They got it totally wrong.

You can take the next flight home if you wish
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:53 am
  #3  
Analyst for hire
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,698
Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

At least long enough to get through immigration and customs, then you can turn round again. So at least 15 minutes. There is no minimum, you are free to come and go as you please as long as you meet the 2 in 5 rule.
Ben W Bell is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:37 am
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 7
smky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
At least long enough to get through immigration and customs, then you can turn round again. So at least 15 minutes. There is no minimum, you are free to come and go as you please as long as you meet the 2 in 5 rule.
Hi Ben,

Please can you explain the "2 in 5 rule"

Thanks in advance.
smky is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:43 am
  #5  
Analyst for hire
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,698
Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

Originally Posted by smky
Hi Ben,

Please can you explain the "2 in 5 rule"

Thanks in advance.
To meet the obligations of PR status you must reside in Canada for two years out of every five.
Ben W Bell is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.