Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Dr.T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

This may seem like a silly question but my spouse has just been to the CHC London to drop off her passport for PR visa insertion and she was told by another applicant that once landed one had to stay for at least 3 months. We intend to go over to Vancouver for 10 days in July - 'Land' then come back to the UK to sell our house and make final arrangements etc. before finally moving over in September.

Everything we have been told up to this point is that after processing at a port of Entry into Canada one can return to one's original embarkation any time one wants. Can anyone shed any light on this? I think the other applicant has go it wrong but we don't want to be misinformed and I have found this website to be a font of knowledge with regard to Canadian immigration matters so I thought I'd enquire here.

Many thanks!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

Originally Posted by Dr.T
This may seem like a silly question but my spouse has just been to the CHC London to drop off her passport for PR visa insertion and she was told by another applicant that once landed one had to stay for at least 3 months. We intend to go over to Vancouver for 10 days in July - 'Land' then come back to the UK to sell our house and make final arrangements etc. before finally moving over in September.

Everything we have been told up to this point is that after processing at a port of Entry into Canada one can return to one's original embarkation any time one wants. Can anyone shed any light on this? I think the other applicant has go it wrong but we don't want to be misinformed and I have found this website to be a font of knowledge with regard to Canadian immigration matters so I thought I'd enquire here.

Many thanks!
They got it totally wrong.

You can take the next flight home if you wish
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:53 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Landing' in Canada: How long must one stay before returning to UK ?

At least long enough to get through immigration and customs, then you can turn round again. So at least 15 minutes. There is no minimum, you are free to come and go as you please as long as you meet the 2 in 5 rule.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:37 am
Just Joined

smky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
At least long enough to get through immigration and customs, then you can turn round again. So at least 15 minutes. There is no minimum, you are free to come and go as you please as long as you meet the 2 in 5 rule.
Hi Ben,

Please can you explain the "2 in 5 rule"

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:43 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smky
Hi Ben,

Please can you explain the "2 in 5 rule"

Thanks in advance.
To meet the obligations of PR status you must reside in Canada for two years out of every five.