Landing but not staying

Old Sep 5th 2015, 10:58 pm
Hoolia

Hoolia15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing but not staying

Hi my husband is travelling to Vancouver for work and is intending to land as he just received his PR last month (spousal sponsorship as I am CDN) and we hope to move this year. Does he need anything else to land as he is only there for two days for work? I haven't received any further information that I know of where we can see what the next steps are for us in terms of moving, so if someone could point us in the right direction I would be grateful! ex. how does everyone know about this moving list you need?
Old Sep 6th 2015, 1:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing but not staying

Originally Posted by Hoolia15
Hi my husband is travelling to Vancouver for work and is intending to land as he just received his PR last month (spousal sponsorship as I am CDN) and we hope to move this year. Does he need anything else to land as he is only there for two days for work?
Landing as PR-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Originally Posted by Hoolia15
I haven't received any further information that I know of where we can see what the next steps are for us in terms of moving, so if someone could point us in the right direction I would be grateful! ex. how does everyone know about this moving list you need?
Presumably they just read the CIC website.
Before you arrive: Prepare to move - Crossing the border: documents you need
Important things to do before and after you arrive in Canada

There's various other info on the CIC website and in the Wiki, including examples of Goods to Follow lists.

HTH.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

He should inform CBSA that he is doing the landing but NOT ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY. No need to provide a list of goods to follow if he does this.

Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation

9. A person’s status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.

D2-2-1 - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00
Old Sep 6th 2015, 4:38 am
Hoolia

Hoolia15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear both
Thank you very much for this information; it is most helpful and we are very grateful that you were able to provide such specific information so quickly.
Have a good evening