Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing/arriving/visas/PR/GTF etc. - confused

Landing/arriving/visas/PR/GTF etc. - confused

Old Aug 26th 2012, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing/arriving/visas/PR/GTF etc. - confused

I've been searching the forums re shipping and have come across people saying that they've arrived, but not landed. I understand that this has something to do with PR status(?). I then read lots of posts on GTF and got slightly confused.

Our plan is to fly to Canada together in October (my partner is going on an intra-company transfer, I will have an open work permit). I will probably stay for a couple of weeks and then go back to the UK. My partner will come back to the UK for Christmas and we will fly back together after Christmas. We want to ship all our stuff to Canada before Christmas. Here are my questions:
1) should both of us apply for our visas at POE in October or should he just do that (I would just arrive as a 'visitor' and then apply for my visa when I arrive in January)? Any advantages/drawbacks of doing this?
2) should we apply for PR at POE in October? Again, what are the advantages/drawbacks of doing this? If we do apply, is it a problem that I will be going back to the UK and not returning until January?
3) should we present GTF in October or should we do it in January?
Anything else I should be aware of?
Thank you,
Old Aug 26th 2012, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing/arriving/visas/PR/GTF etc. - confused

If both work permits are for less than 36 months then you need to read this memo
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-1-1-eng.pdf

All the goods you bring should be listed especially those that arrive after you have arrived. There is no need to complete a B4 form.
Make sure whoever ships the goods knows that you are here on work permits and has a copy of the work permit to present to CBSA for clearance.
As for the TWPs I would get them issued the day you arrive even if not intending to work straight away.
Read this link as well
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5082-eng.html
Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:13 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

It seems as though you are both on temporary visas, and wish to get these issued to you at POE.

Thats fine, your open work permit would be valid for as long as your hubbys temp work permit, so I don't really think it matters when you get yours (may as well do it all together).

You are confusing your temp visas with the pr process. PR stands for permanent resident. When you arrive with an approval for pr, and you wish to 'land' this means you activate your permanent resident visa from that time. Goods to follow normally only applies to people importing their goods on a permanent basis due to their pr status.

In theory you shouldn't need one as it is supposed that you will be returning to the UK at the end of your temp visas (doesn't matter that you might be planning on applying for pr - if you did that you would still need to enter Canada to activate your pr and then you would supply a gtf list - or possibly a 'goods already here list'?)

Former Lancastrian knows lots more than me on this score however - just wanted to point out the differnce between coming here temp / perm.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you - all info, as always, very useful.