Wikiposts

Landing Advice Needed

Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Shawn_ldn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing Advice Needed

Hi, I was hoping someone would know if this is going to cause me problems....

I have my Permanent Residence visa but need to take it up before my girlfriend and I are ready to move to Canada in the summer.
I have booked a holiday trip and intend to land, get the paperwork done and have the Permanent Residence card sent to the address we will move to in the summer. Then fly back to the UK a week later and head back to Canada in the summer.
Is this going to cause me trouble in the long term? Will I have to tell this all to the Immigration officials on landing?
Any advice gratefully accepted!!

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing Advice Needed

Originally Posted by Shawn_ldn
Is this going to cause me trouble in the long term? Will I have to tell this all to the Immigration officials on landing?
1. No, so long as you return to Canada within three years.
2. You can tell them, but it shouldn't make any difference.

The only real issue is that moving to Canada later will be easier if you have the PR cards, but if you're British citizens you shouldn't have much trouble without them; some airlines might refuse to let you board with a one-way ticket and no visa or PR card, so check with them in advance.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:48 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing Advice Needed

Originally Posted by Shawn_ldn
Hi, I was hoping someone would know if this is going to cause me problems....

I have my Permanent Residence visa but need to take it up before my girlfriend and I are ready to move to Canada in the summer.
I have booked a holiday trip and intend to land, get the paperwork done and have the Permanent Residence card sent to the address we will move to in the summer. Then fly back to the UK a week later and head back to Canada in the summer.
Any advice gratefully accepted!!

Thanks
You could also ask Canada Post about forwarding mail to you in the UK.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Jan 20th 2008 at 7:50 am.