British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Landing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/landing-916410/)

avjoy Aug 23rd 2018 2:23 pm

Landing

Hi,
So I was given until Dec 7th to land, however I am going in Sept (one to see some friends, and secondly my passport expires in March and I wanted to ensure I had 6 months on my passport when travelling)
I am just doing a ‘’soft’’ landing for now with a view to moving early before the summer of next year.
Just a couple of questions:

- I will be able to give a Canadian address – I assume you don’t need ‘’proof’’ of this address in order for your PR card to be sent there? (as in any documentation for that address with me name on it?)

- When I received my COPR they didn’t request for me to send off any photos or passport – is this normal? I just received the 2 x copies of the document?

- I will stay for 2 x weeks and then leave – this means I have to go to a local Canadian Embassy in Victoria and get a PRTD? – does anyone have any more info on this?

I still have to do my goods to follow list which I will have ready and hopefully get stamped without any issue. Fingers crossed all goes well with little hassle.
Any other advice or suggestions would be welcome

Thanks

Siouxie Aug 23rd 2018 2:57 pm

Re: Landing

Originally Posted by avjoy (Post 12553262)
Hi,
So I was given until Dec 7th to land, however I am going in Sept (one to see some friends, and secondly my passport expires in March and I wanted to ensure I had 6 months on my passport when travelling)
I am just doing a ‘’soft’’ landing for now with a view to moving early before the summer of next year.
Just a couple of questions:

- I will be able to give a Canadian address – I assume you don’t need ‘’proof’’ of this address in order for your PR card to be sent there? (as in any documentation for that address with me name on it?)

- When I received my COPR they didn’t request for me to send off any photos or passport – is this normal? I just received the 2 x copies of the document?

- I will stay for 2 x weeks and then leave – this means I have to go to a local Canadian Embassy in Victoria and get a PRTD? – does anyone have any more info on this?

I still have to do my goods to follow list which I will have ready and hopefully get stamped without any issue. Fingers crossed all goes well with little hassle.
Any other advice or suggestions would be welcome

Thanks

Exciting times!

You submitted photos when you put the application in - is one of those photos on one copy of the COPR? If so then nothing to worry about! Often there's a lengthy delay in issuance of PR from application - or the photos aren't up to standard - or the Officer just wants new ones - and new photos get requested! Make sure you have both copies of the COPR with you when you do your landing. You might find our wiki article about landing of use: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

Do make sure that the address you are giving is not in Quebec, unless you have applied through that Province. Also make sure that it's secure and not likely to change. There is no proof required. Do bear in mind that if the PR Card is sent by recorded delivery and requires a signature and nobody is home to sign for it - and it then needs to be collected from the Post Office - some form of ID / signature of the addressee (you) may be required to give consent for it to be collected by a 3rd party.

You don't need the PRTD to leave Canada, only to get on a flight to return if you don't have your PR card. You could also fly into the US and cross the border by private vehicle. Although it's not a requirement (by Canada) for COPR holders to have an e-TA, some airlines don't understand what a COPR is and will deny bording - so if you don't already have one it might be a good idea to get one, for the sake of $7.
e-TA: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...anada/eta.html
PRTD: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=22

Despite there being no requirement to supply a 'goods to follow' list when doing a soft landing, I'd recommend having it with you regardless.. in case you get a 'jobsworth' CBSA officer.
:)
Good luck with your landing - safe travels!

Hurlabrick Aug 25th 2018 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by avjoy (Post 12553262)

No 'proof' of Canadian address required.

Yes, perfectly normal. We also had no request for copy passport or additional photos.

No. You cannot get a PRTD in Canada, you can only get it from the local visa office in the country you return to once you get there (eg London)

You can do you goods to follow on this trip but you can also do it later when you land as settler.

strongly suggest you have a read of the wiki article on landing as pr which covers most of your question here and more.

avjoy Aug 27th 2018 4:16 pm

Thank you both

scottymcd7 Aug 28th 2018 8:48 pm

I've just arrived back in the UK today after leaving last week to do a soft landing. Process at the airport was pretty straightforward.

I prepared a 'Goods Accompanying' and a 'Goods to Follow' list. Showed the CBSA officer the lists and that the items for the GTF list were going to be brought over in suitcases and not shipped. She stated that I could do one, but as they were going to be in my possession, but didn't have to be declared. She also said I didn't have to get the Accompanying list stamped either.

avjoy Aug 30th 2018 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12553282)
Exciting times!

You submitted photos when you put the application in - is one of those photos on one copy of the COPR? If so then nothing to worry about! Often there's a lengthy delay in issuance of PR from application - or the photos aren't up to standard - or the Officer just wants new ones - and new photos get requested! Make sure you have both copies of the COPR with you when you do your landing. You might find our wiki article about landing of use: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

Do make sure that the address you are giving is not in Quebec, unless you have applied through that Province. Also make sure that it's secure and not likely to change. There is no proof required. Do bear in mind that if the PR Card is sent by recorded delivery and requires a signature and nobody is home to sign for it - and it then needs to be collected from the Post Office - some form of ID / signature of the addressee (you) may be required to give consent for it to be collected by a 3rd party.

You don't need the PRTD to leave Canada, only to get on a flight to return if you don't have your PR card. You could also fly into the US and cross the border by private vehicle. Although it's not a requirement (by Canada) for COPR holders to have an e-TA, some airlines don't understand what a COPR is and will deny bording - so if you don't already have one it might be a good idea to get one, for the sake of $7.
e-TA: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...anada/eta.html
PRTD:I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?

Despite there being no requirement to supply a 'goods to follow' list when doing a soft landing, I'd recommend having it with you regardless.. in case you get a 'jobsworth' CBSA officer.
Good luck with your landing - safe travels!

Siouxie, just taking into account your comment on the recorded delivery of the PR card - I land in Vancouver so have an address there, but also my partners mum lives in Ontario, is retired and would be mostly home. Maybe overthinking it, but if I land in Vancouver could I use that address instead of his sisters on the Island?

Siouxie Aug 30th 2018 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by avjoy (Post 12556464)
Siouxie, just taking into account your comment on the recorded delivery of the PR card - I land in Vancouver so have an address there, but also my partners mum lives in Ontario, is retired and would be mostly home. Maybe overthinking it, but if I land in Vancouver could I use that address instead of his sisters on the Island?

It's not a given that it will be delivered by recorded delivery - but it's possible :)

You can use any address you like as long as it's not Quebec, unless you have gone through their immigration system) !

Safe travels and happy landings :)

avjoy Aug 30th 2018 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12556544)
It's not a given that it will be delivered by recorded delivery - but it's possible :)

You can use any address you like as long as it's not Quebec, unless you have gone through their immigration system) !

Perfect, and again, thank you! 7 more sleeps!

PMM Aug 30th 2018 6:15 pm

HI

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12556544)

1. PR cards are NOT sent out recorded delivery.

Siouxie Aug 30th 2018 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 12556656)
HI

1. PR cards are NOT sent out recorded delivery.

It was an error in my wording, apologies. I meant if the person is not home when the mail is delivered and it is taken back to the mail sorting facility or post office, then ID would be required in order to collect it.

You can read more here:
https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/m...-e.asp#1427722

avjoy Sep 26th 2018 9:57 am

So I landed in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago. Just a soft landing for now with a view to moving over early in the New Year.

Went through the normal process for customs. Officer asked no questions on that process, and when I said I wanted to activate my PR card I was directed over to the Immigration Office - clearly marked and in the baggage hall (I did read on someone else's post that they were directed to a ''secondary'' immigration office in YVR but I was not told this nor did I see anything about it)....so hoping I didn't miss a step!!!

Once in the Immigration office I was given the ''welcome to Canada'' booklet and then directed to another queue where I had to hand over a copy of my COPR and my passport. This took about 1.45 hours (my flight landed at about 11.30am) there were only about 15 people ahead of my in the queue so not sure what took so long. When I reached the top of the queue the officer took my passport and COPR and then you are directed to a waiting area and I was told it would be about another 2 hours. This was correct. Eventually called back to the counter. They handed me my passport and the 2nd copy of my COPR and that was it - i actually felt like something else should happen, so asked if that was it and could I leave and was told yes. So I guest now I just wait for the PR card and hope it arrives ok

So just under 4 x hours

Former Lancastrian Sep 26th 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by avjoy (Post 12568467)
So I landed in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago. Just a soft landing for now with a view to moving over early in the New Year.

Went through the normal process for customs. Officer asked no questions on that process, and when I said I wanted to activate my PR card I was directed over to the Immigration Office - clearly marked and in the baggage hall (I did read on someone else's post that they were directed to a ''secondary'' immigration office in YVR but I was not told this nor did I see anything about it)....so hoping I didn't miss a step!!!

Once in the Immigration office I was given the ''welcome to Canada'' booklet and then directed to another queue where I had to hand over a copy of my COPR and my passport. This took about 1.45 hours (my flight landed at about 11.30am) there were only about 15 people ahead of my in the queue so not sure what took so long. When I reached the top of the queue the officer took my passport and COPR and then you are directed to a waiting area and I was told it would be about another 2 hours. This was correct. Eventually called back to the counter. They handed me my passport and the 2nd copy of my COPR and that was it - i actually felt like something else should happen, so asked if that was it and could I leave and was told yes. So I guest now I just wait for the PR card and hope it arrives ok

So just under 4 x hours

Assuming of course you gave CBSA a Canadian address for the PR card to be mailed to and if not you have 180 days to provide IRCC with a Canadian address.

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/int...?app=coanotify

avjoy Sep 26th 2018 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12568492)
Assuming of course you gave CBSA a Canadian address for the PR card to be mailed to and if not you have 180 days to provide IRCC with a Canadian address.

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/int...?app=coanotify

Yes I had it written out on a piece of paper and gave it to the office along with my passport etc. So hopefully they used that. I pointed it out to the first person I spoke to and then had to sit and wait for the 2 hours so assume it was passed along and that is what they used.

Siouxie Sep 26th 2018 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by avjoy (Post 12568467)

So just under 4 x hours

I'm presuming you got asked the standard questions and were asked to sign within the box on the COPR before the copy was stapled to your passport (or handed to you)?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nterviews.html

Congrats regardless!!
NB, don't lose the COPR put it somewhere safe - you will need it if you don't receive your PR card (for replacement); for your pension in years to come, etc.

:thumbsup:

avjoy Sep 27th 2018 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12568778)
I'm presuming you got asked the standard questions and were asked to sign within the box on the COPR before the copy was stapled to your passport (or handed to you)?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nterviews.html

Congrats regardless!!
NB, don't lose the COPR put it somewhere safe - you will need it if you don't receive your PR card (for replacement); for your pension in years to come, etc.

:thumbsup:

Yes they signed and stamped and then handed to me to sign and stamp (they just gave me the copy back and didn't staple to passport)
They didn't ask me ONE question. Thats why I was surprised it was so informal. I just said I was landing for PR and that was really it!