Wikiposts

Landing

Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Chancey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing

Hi There

We are due to land on the 31st Jan, we have sold up and living with parents. Just sold my car, furniture in storage awaiting instructions to be shipped. We will be renting a property to start with to give us chance to have a good look at the propertys for sale. Can anyone give us pointers on what happens when we land, do I have to provide bank statements for proof of funds. We will be staying in Sunshine Coast, BC. How do we apply for a SIN, can we not work until we get this, how long does it take.

Any other tips to help would be great

The Chanceys
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:50 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing

On landing you speak with the initial CBSA officer who will direct you to immigration. There you hand over your paperwork (Passport and COPR if you are coming as a PR.) They may ask for proof of funds, but for most people they just ask how much money you have and seem usually satisfied with the answers, but make sure you have some way to back it up if necessary. Assuming all is in order that's about it, a few questions, maybe one or two to try and catch you out (happened to me, they asked to confirm I'd worked in Toronto before when I hadn't, but don't think it's common.)

Then you go to customs, show them your paperwork and your Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow. They may check your luggage but unlikely. They'll take the copies of the to follow, get them stamped and print an official receipt for them stating no duty is payable, and that's effectively it.

For SIN you simply go to your local Service Canada centre and ask for one. Take your passport and COPR and they'll give you one. You'll get your SIN in approximately 6 minutes, and the card will come a couple of weeks later in the post to the address you provide. You can work without it, taxes will be a bit screwed up, but considering how quick and easy it is to get there is really no reason to do so.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Chancey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landing

Hello Ben

Thanks for the prompt response.. you have put my mind at ease. Hope it is as easy as you say.... thanks again

Annette