Landing

Old Sep 1st 2005, 1:34 pm
  #16  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Or do the US route and buy a return ticket, don't use the return sector but make sure that you surrender your green I-94 to a US border official before 90days is up.
Often on departure from the US the airline often collects the I94 and I94W forms at the departure gate. If you're on the outbound leg of a return trip there's nothing stopping you turning yours in at that point, you just need to fill out a new one next time you enter the US.

There's no problem using the visa waiver with a terminating ticket in Canada so long as you are a 'legal permanent resident' (US term) of Canada. How this is enforced, by both airlines and the Immigration folks, seems to be a grey area - it's not clear, for example, how those on temporary permits in Canada fit into the picture.

Bottom line is that if travelling to take up residence in Canada and you are going to transit the US on the visa waiver, make sure you get clearance from the airline in advance and secondly, there is still a risk (maybe not a high one, but a risk nonetheless) of a problem at US immigration.

One further point - those with valid US tourist visas are *not* automatically required to have a return ticket (or resident status in Canada with a terminating ticket there) as far as US Immgration are concerned, but again you need to make sure your airline understands this as not all of them may do so.

Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:38 pm
  #17  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Stockton on Tees, UK
Posts: 89
robwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the rough
Default Going around in circles on one way tickets

If I bought one way tickets and flew from Teesside ,UK ,via Amsterdam and Minneapolis to Saskatoon, why would I be stopped at any customs ???
I would be travelling on UK passport and with the paperwork to land in Canada.
We would not be on tempory permits, we would have the confirmation of permanent residence form issued by CHC.
Why the hell would US customs try to stop us from travelling through US to Canada??
Dont the UK allow US citizens to travel through UK without hassle?

All this bull is beyond me. It's worse than filling the forms in.

Surely there must be someone from UK on here who has actually done this.
TGIF
Rob




Originally Posted by JAJ
Often on departure from the US the airline often collects the I94 and I94W forms at the departure gate. If you're on the outbound leg of a return trip there's nothing stopping you turning yours in at that point, you just need to fill out a new one next time you enter the US.

There's no problem using the visa waiver with a terminating ticket in Canada so long as you are a 'legal permanent resident' (US term) of Canada. How this is enforced, by both airlines and the Immigration folks, seems to be a grey area - it's not clear, for example, how those on temporary permits in Canada fit into the picture.

Bottom line is that if travelling to take up residence in Canada and you are going to transit the US on the visa waiver, make sure you get clearance from the airline in advance and secondly, there is still a risk (maybe not a high one, but a risk nonetheless) of a problem at US immigration.

One further point - those with valid US tourist visas are *not* automatically required to have a return ticket (or resident status in Canada with a terminating ticket there) as far as US Immgration are concerned, but again you need to make sure your airline understands this as not all of them may do so.

Jeremy
robwrx is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2005, 11:07 pm
  #18  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going around in circles on one way tickets

Originally Posted by robwrx
If I bought one way tickets and flew from Teesside ,UK ,via Amsterdam and Minneapolis to Saskatoon, why would I be stopped at any customs ???
I would be travelling on UK passport and with the paperwork to land in Canada.
We would not be on tempory permits, we would have the confirmation of permanent residence form issued by CHC.
Why the hell would US customs try to stop us from travelling through US to Canada??
Dont the UK allow US citizens to travel through UK without hassle?
You can't transit airside in the US. You must clear customs and immigration as if you were visiting the country proper. And the rule for the visa waiver (if you arrive by air) is that you must have a return or onward ticket. An onward ticket terminating in Canada doesn't count unless you are a 'legal permanent resident' of Canada.

All this bull is beyond me. It's worse than filling the forms in.

Surely there must be someone from UK on here who has actually done this.
TGIF
Rob
Even if there was, it doesn't mean you would experience the same thing as they did, as this is such a grey area.



Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:48 am
  #19  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Stockton on Tees, UK
Posts: 89
robwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Going around in circles on one way tickets

OK Jeremy
Thanks for info.
But if I have confirmation of permanent residence form from CHC to use to legally land in Canada, is it not the same as being permanent resident as far as US is concerned?
Are they going to send us back to UK rather than let us go on to Canada ?

Mind you nothing would surprise me, they can land a man on the moon and send pictures back to earth from Mars but they cant evacuate a few thousand people from Louisiana super dome.
Seem to have priorities all wrong but thats another subject.


Rob

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can't transit airside in the US. You must clear customs and immigration as if you were visiting the country proper. And the rule for the visa waiver (if you arrive by air) is that you must have a return or onward ticket. An onward ticket terminating in Canada doesn't count unless you are a 'legal permanent resident' of Canada.



Even if there was, it doesn't mean you would experience the same thing as they did, as this is such a grey area.



Jeremy
robwrx is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 1:10 am
  #20  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going around in circles on one way tickets

Originally Posted by robwrx
OK Jeremy
Thanks for info.
But if I have confirmation of permanent residence form from CHC to use to legally land in Canada, is it not the same as being permanent resident as far as US is concerned?
Are they going to send us back to UK rather than let us go on to Canada ?
Who knows?

You might be better off asking on the US immigration forum. Also make sure the airline hasn't got a problem with this.



Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 2:51 am
  #21  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Biiiiink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Windsor, ON; Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,713
Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing

I don't think they'd be right to consider you a PR until you've completed the landing process successfully, you can still be denied landing up until that point.
Biiiiink is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 3:23 am
  #22  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't think they'd be right to consider you a PR until you've completed the landing process successfully, you can still be denied landing up until that point.
However they might well do so - or they might not.

People with work permits or other temporary status in Canada must transit the US on the visa waiver all the time without encountering problems (despite the fact that they're not technically 'permanent' residents of Canada).

That said, all you need is one fussy check-in official, or immigration inspector, and you'll have a problem.


Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 4:45 am
  #23  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Stockton on Tees, UK
Posts: 89
robwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Landing

Thanks for all info.

Maybe I will ask on US immigration site but not going to worry as it will be 36 months down the line at least.
Plus it's Saturday night

Take care
Rob

Originally Posted by JAJ
However they might well do so - or they might not.

People with work permits or other temporary status in Canada must transit the US on the visa waiver all the time without encountering problems (despite the fact that they're not technically 'permanent' residents of Canada).

That said, all you need is one fussy check-in official, or immigration inspector, and you'll have a problem.


Jeremy
robwrx is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.