Landing in 2 weeks!

Old Aug 27th 2014, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

phasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing in 2 weeks!

So it's almost that time. After years of research, planning and dreaming, we're almost there.

I will be landing in 2 weeks, flying from the UK to Toronto, from there I have booked a train to arrive at my final destination Ottawa.

However, today I've been looking at flights from Toronto to Ottawa and the prices aren't too bad. With the extra luggage I will have, it would be around $200 for the flight. I'm swaying towards this as I am uncertain there is a checked baggage service on the particular train I have booked (according to my itinerary)...this means they can refuse my bags as I am over the carry-on limit.

What I was wondering is how would that work with landing? Obviously, I would land in Toronto and that would be where I hand over my paperwork. Would there be any problems in Ottawa? Or is there no need to go through customs again since it is a domestic flight?

What is the maximum time I could be expected to be at immigration in Toronto? i.e. I land just after 12 in the afternoon, giving a bit of time for delays, long queues at passport control and a bit of time with immigration when would be a safe time to book the flight to Ottawa for.

PS. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge (and still is), I could not have gotten COPR without it. I want to thank everyone for the help, and apologise as I'm sure there are questions that have been asked before, my quick search showed nothing.

PPS. I am dreading having to say goodbye to friends and family, some words of advice would be welcome for anyone who has had to deal with these emotions.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in 2 weeks!

How exciting - and nerve wracking!

It's quite a haul from YYZ into town to the train station, & traffic may be a factor in timing. The airport bus actually drops you a few blocks away & there is *major* construction inside & outside Union station at the moment. A taxi would be pricy.

YOW is also a fair bit out of town, whereabouts in Ottawa are you heading? Are you being met there, hiring a car or do you need public transport on arrival?

How much luggage are you bringing?

I'd be inclined to fly, & would over, rather than under, estimate transit time at YYZ even if it meant clearing fast & being bored out of my skull waiting.

You will clear immigration on arrival in Toronto. No further procedures on arrival in Ottawa.

S