Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landed at YVR - feedback from process

Landed at YVR - feedback from process

Old Mar 28th 2010, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of
Default Re: Landed at YVR - feedback from process

Originally Posted by paulandsophia
Looks like I may have a problem then.

I landed at the beginning of the month (YVR) and gave the in laws address. I've now returned to the UK to settle my affairs and the in laws were going to send my PR card on to me. No one at immigration said anything about about it only being the recipient who can sign for it.

Has anyone else here had there card sent to an address when they have not been there to sign for it?

Regards

Paul
We had our PR cards delivered to a friends house here as we still had to find somewhere to live. They were delivered about four weeks later in the regular mail. No one had to sign for them. This was last August, so unless they've changed the way they mail them since, then you should have no problem with your in-laws getting them.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

My in-laws recieved my card and sent it over to me, there was no talk of having to sign for anything..

Also my GTF was not stamed and i was given a piece of paper advising to fill out the correct form and get it stamped when i move over permanently. Nothing was mentioned of having to go downtown to get it stamped..

What are the details of the downtown office? this is incase my list doesnt get stamped when i next go over.

MR79
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

webnibs is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a similar experience landing at YVR on 12 Dec 2009, nothing about proof of funds just how much money each of us had on us. Had pictures retaken by immigration officer as the background was too dark ( had done the pics ourselves and been accepted before by CHC, London ).
Stood in a long queue at customs and was concerned at the amount of people and all the bags being searched. Customs lady went through the line and pulled us out, showed her copies of goods accompanying and to follow - no stamp, given a piece of paper and told to get jewellery properly valued.
We stayed for 3 weeks before returning back to the UK, PR cards arrived at our friends house at the end of Jan, didn't have to be signed for. Arrived with us beginning of Feb via friends parents visiting UK.

Poppit - who stamped your forms immigration or customs ?

Cheers
WebNibs
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

My wife got her PR card in the post a week ago.

It did not need to be signed for and had no "signed for" information on the generic plain envelope - it was just pushed through the mail slot.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:31 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, it seems that the immigration officer was a little confused.

It would really help if we only need to get the goods to follow signed at a later date as we won't be settling for a year or two and we'll be in the US before that, so will have extra possessions accompanying us.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

With regards to PR cards - I am sure I read somewhere on this forum (can't find it now) that if giving an address in Canada is difficult, getting your PR cards is simply a matter of filling in a form when you finally do land for good. Can anyone confirm that?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MR79
What are the details of the downtown office? this is incase my list doesnt get stamped when i next go over.

MR79
The leaflet I got mentions the following:

1: If you are expecting your personal effects shipment to arrive in Vancouver within 3 months of your landing, you do not need to proceed to a customs office to make your good to follow declaration. Once your personal goods arrive, telephone 604-666-0547 to make an appointment to declare your goods.

2: If you are expecting your personal effects shipment to arrive in the greater Vancouver region after the first 3 months of your landing, you should proceed to a customs office to make your goods to follow declaration as soon as possible. Telephone 604-666-0547 to make an appointment to declare your goods to follow.

Ray
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

paulandsophia is a name known to allpaulandsophia is a name known to allpaulandsophia is a name known to allpaulandsophia is a name known to allpaulandsophia is a name known to allpaulandsophia is a name known to allpaulandsophia is a name known to allpaulandsophia is a name known to allpaulandsophia is a name known to allpaulandsophia is a name known to allpaulandsophia is a name known to all

Clearly this issue is causing a lot of confusion that appears to be coming from immigration on arrival.

I landed a couple of days after Ray and was given the form with the telephone number on to call customs ONCE my goods had arrived to book an appointment for clearance. Nothing about before or after 3 months etc. I asked the immigration officer how long I had to bring my goods and she said it's best to do it within 6 months.

Seems everyone who landed at YVR over the last few weeks is getting told something different.

Paul
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

All this confusion from start to finish !!

We are hoping to Land in the middle of April, as long as passports come back and there are room on the flights.

We are aiming for Calgary, so that we can have a look at areas there at the same time as I meet people in agencies.

We have an address of a friend in edmonton who will forward the cards onto us - hopefully it will be straight forward and none of the issues that some others find.

JET
Old May 20th 2010, 8:47 am
Hello.

Regarding the PR cards, contrary to what we were told by immigration on landing (and given a bit of hassle about) they were sent in the post and did NOT need to be signed for. They're being hand delivered to a friend in Spain, then brought back home (well the home for now)!
Old May 20th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by oicur0t
Regarding the PR cards, contrary to what we were told by immigration on landing (and given a bit of hassle about) they were sent in the post and did NOT need to be signed for. They're being hand delivered to a friend in Spain, then brought back home (well the home for now)!
Congratulation and what a relieve to have the card.

Ray
Old May 20th 2010, 12:19 pm
Hello.

Originally Posted by raymasa
Congratulation and what a relieve to have the card.

Ray
Yup! It was hard to get your head around the fact that, as a permanent resident without a card, we weren't allowed to go to Canada!
Old May 20th 2010, 3:27 pm
Hello.

I'll also confirm the information sent to me from the CBSA.

Our goods to follow list is only needed when we intend to settle. Since we won't be settling for at least 2 years, we are ok.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5114-eng.html
entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for a period of not less than 12 months; or
coming to Canada for temporary employment for a period of more than 36 months.