Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landed....yay.....but what an anti-climax!

Landed....yay.....but what an anti-climax!

Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Kate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant future
Default Landed....yay.....but what an anti-climax!

We drove to Carway from Calgary, should have researched this border crossing first on here, then we may have decided to go elsewhere....what a miserable bunch of..........!
We first rec'd a lecture about flagpoling and despite being the only people in the building who didn't actually work there, the IO who dealt with us couldn't have been more rude, obnoxious and just plain horrid if he'd tried.
I know our long awaited permanent residency is no big deal to them and we've already been here 18 mths but it was still a big deal to us....surely a smile or even common courtesy would have done. Awful, if you are in Alberta I would strongly recommend going elsewhere to land, there is good reason why this crossing has a bad reputation. We arrived very excited (must say the US officials were polite and said 'congratulations') and left totally deflated.
We got passed this experience just in time to go out and celebrate in style though....at last!

Timeline for anyone interested as follows:

Applied Jan 07 AOR May 07 Doc requested April 09 Medical Requests Sept 09 PPR Dec 09 Landed Feb 10
(entered Canada on Study Permit June 08)
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landed....yay.....but what an anti-climax!

Well, then let me be the first to say WELCOME TO CANADA (Eh!).
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Kate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
Well, then let me be the first to say WELCOME TO CANADA (Eh!).
For sure!! Thanks!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!!!!!

It would appear you're not the first to run into a miserable git at Carway.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=14
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kate_P
We drove to Carway from Calgary, should have researched this border crossing first on here, then we may have decided to go elsewhere....what a miserable bunch of..........!
Sorry you had a bad experience Kate with flag-poling and that the officers there tried to belittle you. When and if I ever get my visa, I am thinking of going on a short holiday to the States and activating it on my return at Calgary airport.

I have read on other threads that the border officers can be grumpy and one even said something like , "Hey...why don't I send you back to England to get a permit?"

See post #1 here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607411
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulOK

I have read on other threads that the border officers can be grumpy and one even said something like , "Hey...why don't I send you back to England to get a permit?"
To which the obvious reply is "I'm sorry, what was your name and badge number again?" Quicky followed by the classic "I'd like to speak to your supervisor"
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:35 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by iaink
To which the obvious reply is "I'm sorry, what was your name and badge number again?" Quicky followed by the classic "I'd like to speak to your supervisor"
At that point he snaps on the rubber gloves?
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

wow... i'll remember that when its my turn

i crossed through that border on the way back from whitefish about a month ago (we went back via the glacier national park). the guy there seemed pretty rude but let us in within a couple of minutes. im not surprised they are shitty though, you'd be pretty down on life if you lived there... cardston isn't much... and on the US side there is nothing except ghost towns until you get to Browning which is 60km away and by far the most depressing place i have ever been
Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your bad 'landing' experience
I fully understand how important this final stage must be and it's a shame what happened.
All the best with all your future plans .
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

At that point he snaps on the rubber gloves?
There is no way on earth i would talk back to a IO ,you just have to let it go...yes i know its not fair but they have the power..as someone that has got on the wrong side of a IO on the US side ....let it go.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

Originally Posted by jamesmc
There is no way on earth i would talk back to a IO ,you just have to let it go...yes i know its not fair but they have the power..as someone that has got on the wrong side of a IO on the US side ....let it go.
That's the rub ...You probably earn 3 times as much as them but they have the uniform, the badge, the pepper spray (!) and the ability to really screw up your day.

It's just so belittling and as an adult you're just so unused to being 'told off' (it's different, of course, when you're a kid). I was yelled at once by an IO at passport control at Boston Logan, in front of 200 people. You could have heard a pin drop in the room for about 5 seconds after. Not a good experience
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Im not "talking back", I'm simply requesting pertenent information in order to improve the quality of the service provided.

Originally Posted by http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/borderservices.html
In your dealings with the Canada Border Services Agency, you can expect:

Respect and courtesy
We will treat you in a respectful, professional and considerate manner.

I dont tend to take shit from people too kindly. Having said that I wouldnt be messing with an american IO

Nice kushy government job in small town canada, overtime, benefits, pension.... You can bet they are every bit as scared of doing anything to jeapordise that job as we are of the rubber glove treatment!

Last edited by iaink; Feb 25th 2010 at 8:03 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you had an anti-climatic experience...hope you made uo for it later.....
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
Sorry you had an anti-climatic experience...hope you made uo for it later.....
Oh we've recovered pretty quickly thank you....it will be a much more smiley day when we get our PR cards in the post...no one there to spoil that moment! Fingers crossed your med requests are through soon
I'm a originally a Surrey girl!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

But it is fun dreaming of the things you could say to them when they give you grief!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.