Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landed....yay.....but what an anti-climax!

Landed....yay.....but what an anti-climax!

Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Kate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant future
Default Re: Landed....yay.....but what an anti-climax!

Originally Posted by Kate_P
But it is fun dreaming of the things you could say to them when they give you grief!
Oh......and........get this......Ecas has been updated already!!! Application Complete = 4 days must be a record!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Oh we've recovered pretty quickly thank you....it will be a much more smiley day when we get our PR cards in the post...no one there to spoil that moment! Fingers crossed your med requests are through soon
I'm a originally a Surrey girl!
Thanks......checking the post daily now....
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

We drove to Carway from Calgary, should have researched this border crossing first on here, then we may have decided to go elsewhere....what a miserable bunch of..........!
We first rec'd a lecture about flagpoling and despite being the only people in the building who didn't actually work there, the IO who dealt with us couldn't have been more rude, obnoxious and just plain horrid if he'd tried.
I know our long awaited permanent residency is no big deal to them and we've already been here 18 mths but it was still a big deal to us....surely a smile or even common courtesy would have done. Awful, if you are in Alberta I would strongly recommend going elsewhere to land, there is good reason why this crossing has a bad reputation. We arrived very excited (must say the US officials were polite and said 'congratulations') and left totally deflated.
We got passed this experience just in time to go out and celebrate in style though....at last!

Timeline for anyone interested as follows:

Applied Jan 07 AOR May 07 Doc requested April 09 Medical Requests Sept 09 PPR Dec 09 Landed Feb 10
(entered Canada on Study Permit June 08)
Congratulations Kate sorry for your bad experience

put that behind you now or better still right a letter complaining of his treatment ( no one probably says anything ) and get on with celebrating
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

We drove to Carway from Calgary, should have researched this border crossing first on here, then we may have decided to go elsewhere....what a miserable bunch of..........!
We first rec'd a lecture about flagpoling and despite being the only people in the building who didn't actually work there, the IO who dealt with us couldn't have been more rude, obnoxious and just plain horrid if he'd tried.
I know our long awaited permanent residency is no big deal to them and we've already been here 18 mths but it was still a big deal to us....surely a smile or even common courtesy would have done. Awful, if you are in Alberta I would strongly recommend going elsewhere to land, there is good reason why this crossing has a bad reputation. We arrived very excited (must say the US officials were polite and said 'congratulations') and left totally deflated.
We got passed this experience just in time to go out and celebrate in style though....at last!

Timeline for anyone interested as follows:

Applied Jan 07 AOR May 07 Doc requested April 09 Medical Requests Sept 09 PPR Dec 09 Landed Feb 10
(entered Canada on Study Permit June 08)
Hi Kate,

Congratulations! We too are in Calgary & we finally received our passports back from London this week after first lodging our application on the 23rd Oct 2006!!!! Like most on here, it's taken forever!

So the plan is, to head down to Carway tomorrow morning real early and hope we catch some cheerful staff. As the moderator said, if they're miserable then so be it, that's just their stupid attitude.

On the other hand, if they're rude to me or my family I shall just get their names and details, tell them to forget it, and leave. Then, I shall be the first to send RH- Hector Goudreau ( Minister for employment and immigration ) an e-mail with the border guys details and tell him what a "welcome to Canada" we received!

I just don't get it why they have a problem.. There's quite a few people I know who have all said what a real right miserable bunch they are.

I even tried the new office in Calgary that is supposed to deal with all this and it's just a joke! The tele no: they give you from London, is a menu system with an answer machine! A mate of mine tried to do it this way way back in November 2009, he left two messages, wrote them a letter and he's STILL waiting to hear from them!!

He gave up in the end and went to Carway last month! Yes, you guessed it, a grump experience was on the menu!

I'll update tomorrow and tell you how ours went

Carway here we come
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
Hi Kate,

Congratulations! We too are in Calgary & we finally received our passports back from London this week after first lodging our application on the 23rd Oct 2006!!!! Like most on here, it's taken forever!

So the plan is, to head down to Carway tomorrow morning real early and hope we catch some cheerful staff. As the moderator said, if they're miserable then so be it, that's just their stupid attitude.

On the other hand, if they're rude to me or my family I shall just get their names and details, tell them to forget it, and leave. Then, I shall be the first to send RH- Hector Goudreau ( Minister for employment and immigration ) an e-mail with the border guys details and tell him what a "welcome to Canada" we received!

I just don't get it why they have a problem.. There's quite a few people I know who have all said what a real right miserable bunch they are.

I even tried the new office in Calgary that is supposed to deal with all this and it's just a joke! The tele no: they give you from London, is a menu system with an answer machine! A mate of mine tried to do it this way way back in November 2009, he left two messages, wrote them a letter and he's STILL waiting to hear from them!!

He gave up in the end and went to Carway last month! Yes, you guessed it, a grump experience was on the menu!

Carway here we come
Good luck yogi-Bear good attitude, if no one complains then why should they change look forward to reading all about your landing
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:50 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi Kate,

Carway here we come
You realize of course that Hector Goudreau is a provincial politician who has no responsibilities for the CBSA which is a Federal Dept? The Minister in charge is The Honourable Vic Toews Minister of Public Safety
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Kate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant future

Hi Kate,

Carway here we come
Fingers crossed for you today.....the main issue with the grumps was that we could've 'landed' in Calgary and they 'don't do it at Carway' which is a crock of you know what because a) all other personnel we spoke to did not react when we said we were flagpoling b) he did let us flagpole! He couldn't understand why we didn't want to wait for an appointment in Calgary and we were basically wasting his valuable time....the place was deserted!!
Well I hope it all went well for you (you probably have had the nicest bunch now) and Congratulations in advance!
Kate
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Good luck yogi-Bear good attitude, if no one complains then why should they change look forward to reading all about your landing
Hey Coffee,

I'm glad to say, all went well! We arrived at around 9-ish, the one officer was a tad miserable so I didn't get involved in niceties and just made "yes and no" answers.

He did tell us that we shouldn't be doing this and made us feel "how lucky we were to have an officer like him dealing with us" scenario - I just said: "well we tried the tele number that London sent and no one got back to us and that we had friends waiting from Nov 2009 for a return call!! Furthermore, we didn't want to wait that long as my wife wanted to work ASAP!

With that, the first officer who was grumpy suddenly out of the blue, asked my 11 yr old son if he'd ever been arrested, and laughed!! My son, in all innocence, said "yes"

the officer said: "WHAT?"

Yes, "the class was arrested as part of the DARE program they teach in our Canadian school."

This sort of broke the ice and the two officers even broke out in laughter!! So I have to say, that while it started out a tad miserable, it actually ended up we were quite chatty and they congratulated us, and wished us all the best as we left. So, all-in-all, it was ok. Maybe we were just lucky - who knows? One thing is for sure, there's more stories of common complaints than there is happy endings for sure!

Thanks all

Last edited by Yogi-Bear; Feb 28th 2010 at 3:38 am.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You realize of course that Hector Goudreau is a provincial politician who has no responsibilities for the CBSA which is a Federal Dept? The Minister in charge is The Honourable Vic Toews Minister of Public Safety
Hi Pmm,

I did know this, but thanks anyway.

The reason I said I would e-mail H/G is because I had done so on several ocassions during our application, as he'd been to the Uk in 2007 and did a recruitment drive in London, welcoming all to Canada - especially tradesmen.

He helped us on so many occassions and was a really nice guy, and even when it wasn't his dept he'd always provide the right details for us to contact the right people who would provide good results.

Thanks anyway.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Thanks Coffee

Here's wishing you good luck too, especially if you to go to Carway

Yogi
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
Thanks......checking the post daily now....
Good luck Robin, we were talking about you guys yesterday with "The Gibbo's"

Hope all goes well keep us posted

Y
Old Feb 28th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Robin, we were talking about you guys yesterday with "The Gibbo's"

Hope all goes well keep us posted

Y
Ah yes of course......you're G & S, and so another of the crowd now has PR. Many congratulations to all of you.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey Coffee,

I'm glad to say, all went well! We arrived at around 9-ish, the one officer was a tad miserable so I didn't get involved in niceties and just made "yes and no" answers.

He did tell us that we shouldn't be doing this and made us feel "how lucky we were to have an officer like him dealing with us" scenario - I just said: "well we tried the tele number that London sent and no one got back to us and that we had friends waiting from Nov 2009 for a return call!! Furthermore, we didn't want to wait that long as my wife wanted to work ASAP!

With that, the first officer who was grumpy suddenly out of the blue, asked my 11 yr old son if he'd ever been arrested, and laughed!! My son, in all innocence, said "yes"

Yes, "the class was arrested as part of the DARE program they teach in our Canadian school."

This sort of broke the ice and the two officers even broke out in laughter!! So I have to say, that while it started out a tad miserable, it actually ended up we were quite chatty and they congratulated us, and wished us all the best as we left. So, all-in-all, it was ok. Maybe we were just lucky - who knows? One thing is for sure, there's more stories of common complaints than there is happy endings for sure!

Thanks all
Thanks Coffee

Here's wishing you good luck too, especially if you to go to Carway

Yogi
Good to hear it all went well in the end
Good luck for the future hope you feel good knowing thats all behind you and thanks for posting its always great to hear of another one has landed
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Coffee,

Thanks all
Great news....you can always rely on young children to break the ice.....will have to borrow one if I ever have to go through Carway again!
Congratulations