Wikiposts

Landed on work permit

Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough
Default Landed on work permit

Hi everyone

Just thought I would share our landing experience (on a work permit).

As you may know, my husband was offered a job in November by the sister company of the company he works for. Well the written job offer came through on 8 November and they dealt with all the immigration paperwork for us and the work permits were approved just before Christmas with the company booking the flights for 12 January.

Well it was soooooooooooooooo smooth. We got to Heathrow and checked in without a single question or queue. The plane flight was smooth and we landed in Montreal at 4pm. For some reason the company had sent us via Montreal when our final destination was Calgary. Not sure why this was but it seemed relevant! We landed and joined the queue at customs where the lady took one look at our work permits and directed us to immigration (no welcome to Canada though). The girl at the immigration desk was training another and although they were speaking away in French, there were no questions asked. They just sent us downstairs to pay for the work permits and then we had to wait a short while while they were issued. Still no welcome to Canada ( We stayed last night in the Hilton at Montreal airport and this morning came on to Calgary. The check in was a joke. We were running a little bit late anyway but when we got there we were directed to a huge queue and only 2 people on the check in. Hubby went and asked someone twice but he got no useful information. Then i asked a lady and found out we could do the self check in! Doh! Anyway, we got to the plane on time and got to Calgary 20 mins early. One of our suitcases didn't manage to make it on to the plane but we are assured they know where it is and it will be joining us later this evening!

So here we are. Rob starts work on 1st Feb and in the meantime we have cars, rental accommodation and work paperwork to sort out. Oh and I guess I had better try and get a job too!

Just need to sell the flat in the UK and email CHC to let them know we are here.

Kaz xx
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:05 am
Just Joined

river2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landed on work permit

Hey well done.It must be so exciting for you.What kinda of job did your hubby get? Good luck with the job hunting for yourself
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:52 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Um. Welcome to Canada.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats and have fun

gaynor
x
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kazphillips
Hi everyone

Just thought I would share our landing experience (on a work permit).

As you may know, my husband was offered a job in November by the sister company of the company he works for. Well the written job offer came through on 8 November and they dealt with all the immigration paperwork for us and the work permits were approved just before Christmas with the company booking the flights for 12 January.

Well it was soooooooooooooooo smooth. We got to Heathrow and checked in without a single question or queue. The plane flight was smooth and we landed in Montreal at 4pm. For some reason the company had sent us via Montreal when our final destination was Calgary. Not sure why this was but it seemed relevant! We landed and joined the queue at customs where the lady took one look at our work permits and directed us to immigration (no welcome to Canada though). The girl at the immigration desk was training another and although they were speaking away in French, there were no questions asked. They just sent us downstairs to pay for the work permits and then we had to wait a short while while they were issued. Still no welcome to Canada ( We stayed last night in the Hilton at Montreal airport and this morning came on to Calgary. The check in was a joke. We were running a little bit late anyway but when we got there we were directed to a huge queue and only 2 people on the check in. Hubby went and asked someone twice but he got no useful information. Then i asked a lady and found out we could do the self check in! Doh! Anyway, we got to the plane on time and got to Calgary 20 mins early. One of our suitcases didn't manage to make it on to the plane but we are assured they know where it is and it will be joining us later this evening!

So here we are. Rob starts work on 1st Feb and in the meantime we have cars, rental accommodation and work paperwork to sort out. Oh and I guess I had better try and get a job too!

Just need to sell the flat in the UK and email CHC to let them know we are here.

Kaz xx
Pleased that went well, i hope we get a WELCOME TO CANADA thats the only reason im going hope all goes well for you enjoy the moment
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid you only get the official "Welcome to Canada" when you land as a PR.

You can have one from me though (not quite the same )
"Welcome to Canada"