Landed in Toronto as a PR.

Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Landed in Toronto as a PR.

My Timeline
-----------
Current Residency - US.
Application Sent to Buffalo - Mar 2004.
AOR - Apr 2004.
IA - Dec 2004.
Meds - Dec 2004.
Additional Docs - Feb 2005.
Address Change within city - June 2005.
PPR Recieved - Aug 2005.
PR Visa Stamped - Oct 2005.
Landed - Oct 2005.

Our Flight to Toronto
---------------------
We boarded Air Canada for our destination Toronto. Our plane was an Airbus 340. Surprisingly Air Canada Plane didn't have TVs behind all seat headrests instead they have few centrally located TVs like most of the US Planes. Good enough to pass 8 hours with some recent Hollywood movies.
The Air Canada crew were very gentle (Canadian Experience started here), Served decent meal and a nice end flight Snack with warm Cheese Pizza.

Toronto Immigration
--------------------
We landed Toronto, Pierson International Airport around 5 PM local time. The Airport was very clean and probably went under recent renovation. We headed to Immigration Section, Most of the Airport Immigration counters were empty. Well, it may be because there were too many counters open
(Haven't seen these many immigration registers in San Francisco, Chicago, Philly).
We were received by a Friendly Immigration officer who directed to the New Immigrants section after learning that we are Landing as New Immigrants. Met another friendly Immigration officer who collected our Landing Papers and Passports.
She asked how much Money we're bringing in, She didn't even go through bank statements, just asked us the figure and we gave ours. Then she asked for a local address for shipping the PR Card. We gave our Friend's address, She said your PR card will be sent by Mail to this address within 6-8 weeks, that is it for Landing.
Then we heard the long awaited "Welcome to Canada!!" from the officer, we're delighted to hear that. It just took about 10 minutes to complete the immigration Paper work and we headed to a Welcome Desk where we're offered few New comer materials plus Application for SIN and Medical Card.

Customs
-------
Then we headed to the Customs, we were received by a very friendly Customs officer. As we had listed all our Wedding gift (jewelleries) listed in Good to Follow, the list was big with more than one page. The officer was very patient, She had to do so much of Paper work. She had to walk to Different offices for making copies etc.., etc.., She said, due to the higher value of these stuff, she had to do this additional necessary Paperwork.
After about 20 minutes, she handed over the Stamped Papers back.
I had both Goods to follow (Form B4A) and Goods to import (B4), prepared, When I reached the Custom officer I couldn't find B4, yes I(we) lost it . I told the officer that I have my Laptop, Pocket PC, Digital Camera with me but don't have B4. She said, it is OK. ( I think Laptop and Pocket PCs are not considered serious Import Goods).

Hotel
------
We had Pre-booked our rooms with Quality Suites, The Hotel had a shuttle between the Airport and Hotel, we reached Hotel, had a nice dinner in a restaurant within the Hotel Premises itself.

HRDC-SIN Application
----------------------
Next day (Monday), we booked a Cab to the HRDC office in Etobicoke and reached around 9 AM in the Morning, there was a CIC office also in the same premises. HRDC office was slightly crowded (izzit becoz of Monday, Donno), it took about 90 minutes for our turn and then it took just about 5-10 minutes complete the SIN application formality. The officer told me that my name can not appear in full (Very long name indeed) but instead it will appear as in Landing Papers (Out of 2 middle name, I had to sacrifice 1 name, same like COPR).
After that we took a local train (Very close the HRDC office, a minute walk) from Kipling and transferred at Bloor and Yonge street, and headed to Eaton Center. The place was great, we enjoyed it. Then we walked around Yonge street, we exchanged some of our US Dollars, got a better rate (1.17) and no commission. Guys don't change the currency in the Airport, you get a poor exchange rate (1.09) plus hefty commission. Visited a long awaited Tim Horton's in Yonge street. Tried Donuts and Capuccino, excellent enjoyed it. People around were very friendly (will be over friendly if they know you are a new immigrant....Great!) in helping us with directions and local information.
We reached our Hotel back around 5 PM, Weather wasn't really very cold. It was very much bearable with a simple Jacket on us. I feel, Canadian Buildings, Roads, Streets, Restaurants look not much different from that of US. If some one in US is blind folded and left in Canada, it would take some time for them to realize that they are not in US. Same gentle People at both the ends.

Departure
---------
Next day, Reached back to Toronto Airport for our 5 PM Air Canada Flight. Same old decent, gentle service. Reached home safe and happy.

Conclusion
----------
My landing experience was very pleasant. I thank all the members of this board for sharing their earlier landingexperiences which helped us feel very comfortable.

Thanks to Canada.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of
Default Re: Landed in Toronto as a PR.

Great to hear the story.

I'm sure most of us are looking forward to posting our own stories like that some day. Its great to have the info.

All the best for your new life in Canada. May it be all you ever dreamed of.

Rob
Old Nov 7th 2005, 1:41 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rabrol
Great to hear the story.

I'm sure most of us are looking forward to posting our own stories like that some day. Its great to have the info.

All the best for your new life in Canada. May it be all you ever dreamed of.

Rob
Congrats, just out of curiosity how many millions of $$$ did you have on your goods to follow list, because we already had a long list which we valued at a replacement value of about 120k$ and the customs just put a stamp on it and gave us a reciept (took less than 2 minutes)
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:29 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

GOOD LUCK
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light

Folks, Thanks for all your wishes..

Hi Mhhp,

Noteable valuable goods I listed are jewelleries with value around $20k,
Possible reasons it went complex

1. Most of the Gold jewelleries were very small in size hence the count was higher.
2. The officer wasn't very experirenced as far handling the Jewellery based "Goods to Follow".

I'm still debating whether it is of any worth to have such things listed, but for the one and only reason ie.., if at all my wife prefers to wear Jewels at some point (I don't want to buy ), and I don't want to pay any unnecessary custom tax and duty which would've been avoided.

Regards,
Jag.

Originally Posted by mhhp
Congrats, just out of curiosity how many millions of $$$ did you have on your goods to follow list, because we already had a long list which we valued at a replacement value of about 120k$ and the customs just put a stamp on it and gave us a reciept (took less than 2 minutes)