Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landed in Toronto.. the experience..

Landed in Toronto.. the experience..

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

m4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nice
Smile Landed in Toronto.. the experience..

Hello all,

We have finally landed in Canada after 3 years of planning, I just thought I'd shed some light on the initial experience of getting here.

* Arrival - took about 35 mins to get through immigration, no interview just loads of computer screens to fill in for the clerk, cases had been removed from carousel already and were waiting for us at baggage kiosk.

*House - even with no credit we managed to get a $250k mortgage with a private builder (Toscani) BUT we did have to put down about £40k down payment, the mortgage is 2 years fixed @ 6% which I know aint great but not much option for newbies. big house for the money (2000 sq ft, 4 bed, 3 bath on 40' by 110' lot) but are about 25 mins from the city.

*Car - bought a 2001 VW golf for cash for $7k, insurance is $3k (which we're told is good for new people). the firm 'Youngs' in Hamilton took our UK no claims into account reducing it from the initial $4.5k
Nb. We cant drive it yet as the Canadian drivetest people are on strike

*Bank - did the HSBC thing but not impressed, very little branches around but you can use BMO branches for free. when needing to buy furniture they wouldnt extend our daily debit allowance from $500 to 700 when we called them from the store, even though we had several thousand in our account.

Furniture - Ended up buying most things from Leons (sofa,Tv,cooker, dishwasher,fridge,washer & dryer all came to $6.5k) as they where cheaper than sears for the same goods and nicer than the Brick staff (obviously commision based)

All in all not a bad experience, everyone seems happy to see us and constantly wishes us good luck. I'll update again in 6 months after the honeymoon period

Bye for now,
Chris
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:14 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landed in Toronto.. the experience..

Thanks for the info, best of luck
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

dave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by m4mm4l
Hello all,

We have finally landed in Canada after 3 years of planning, I just thought I'd shed some light on the initial experience of getting here.

* Arrival - took about 35 mins to get through immigration, no interview just loads of computer screens to fill in for the clerk, cases had been removed from carousel already and were waiting for us at baggage kiosk.

*House - even with no credit we managed to get a $250k mortgage with a private builder (Toscani) BUT we did have to put down about £40k down payment, the mortgage is 2 years fixed @ 6% which I know aint great but not much option for newbies. big house for the money (2000 sq ft, 4 bed, 3 bath on 40' by 110' lot) but are about 25 mins from the city.

*Car - bought a 2001 VW golf for cash for $7k, insurance is $3k (which we're told is good for new people). the firm 'Youngs' in Hamilton took our UK no claims into account reducing it from the initial $4.5k
Nb. We cant drive it yet as the Canadian drivetest people are on strike

*Bank - did the HSBC thing but not impressed, very little branches around but you can use BMO branches for free. when needing to buy furniture they wouldnt extend our daily debit allowance from $500 to 700 when we called them from the store, even though we had several thousand in our account.

Furniture - Ended up buying most things from Leons (sofa,Tv,cooker, dishwasher,fridge,washer & dryer all came to $6.5k) as they where cheaper than sears for the same goods and nicer than the Brick staff (obviously commision based)

All in all not a bad experience, everyone seems happy to see us and constantly wishes us good luck. I'll update again in 6 months after the honeymoon period

Bye for now,
Chris
Hi,
Best of luck for the next stage then, settling in etc.

Do you have jobs to go to?

Jo
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

excellent write up thanks....gives us a great insight into what to expect when it's our turn :-)
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Why can't you drive it yet? I would have thought your British licenses would be valid for xxx days (in Nova Scotia it's 90 days) after landing. Or is it an insurance issue (ie, they won't insure you without a Canadian License). People certainly rent cars in Ontario with UK licenses.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:00 am
Im strange but not scary!

city4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the roughcity4 is a jewel in the rough

insurance is $3k (which we're told is good for new people). the firm 'Youngs' in Hamilton took our UK no claims into account reducing it from the initial $4.5k
Hi m4mm4l, Congrats on landing!!! I arrived last August and got insurance for Johnsons inc. They also took my UK no claims into account and Im only paying $1200 a year. (Dodge Neon) They might be worth a look in the future.

Hope you get your ON. DL soon.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:27 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada!

$3,000 is about right for a new driver. I was paying that on a 1992 Passat GL back in 2003.

Originally Posted by Kynn
Why can't you drive it yet? I would have thought your British licenses would be valid for xxx days (in Nova Scotia it's 90 days) after landing. Or is it an insurance issue (ie, they won't insure you without a Canadian License). People certainly rent cars in Ontario with UK licenses.
I'd say an insurance issue, but it's interesting that they say they DO have insurance on the car, so it can't be because of the UK license, unless they have been given insurance on the condition that they are going to be doing a license exchange shortly. It's possible the insurance company is being nice given DriveTest offices are shut due to strike action, and thus they know people cannot get anything sorted out yet (yeah right, an insurance company being nice, like that EVER happens )

Renting is different as you can take the rental companies insurance if you have none of your own. You pay through the teeth, but you're covered. It's why if you have insurance of your own that you can decline the insurance companies, only problem is if you have an accident it's obviously coming off your policy rather than theirs.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Singaporepep is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris,

Did you already have a job lined up?

Also, do you know if US licence is accepted for insurance etc?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Yeah, I was just curious, because I know I was able to put my BF on my insurance using his UK license without a problem. He was insured, able to drive etc, but we're in NS, so I didn't know if Ontario was different for some reason.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

m4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kynn
Yeah, I was just curious, because I know I was able to put my BF on my insurance using his UK license without a problem. He was insured, able to drive etc, but we're in NS, so I didn't know if Ontario was different for some reason.
We're still not sorted with licenses yet (still on strike) but the insurance firm are letting us drive on UK license for 30 days, after that period we have to put someone on the insurance with a canadian license (luckily we have freinds not too far away).
Old Sep 27th 2009, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Singaporepep
Chris,

Did you already have a job lined up?

Also, do you know if US licence is accepted for insurance etc?
Hi, I didnt have a job lined up, I basically used the internet and applied for everything, I've found the interview process quite long, the average job as been 3 to 4 interviews though they are for senior management positions..
Old Sep 27th 2009, 8:53 am
and the cat too

JulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by m4mm4l
We're still not sorted with licenses yet (still on strike) but the insurance firm are letting us drive on UK license for 30 days, after that period we have to put someone on the insurance with a canadian license (luckily we have freinds not too far away).
Hi

If you go to Service Canada, 777 Bay, which is directly accessed from college subway stop, they are exchanging licenses. We checked with them last week, just take your photo card and paper bit with you. Was quite busy when we went to check it out. But then they are the only ones doing it!

Julie
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Landed in Toronto.. the experience..

Thanks Julie, we're investigating this afternoon
Saved us some pain, we're in mississauga signing for our container from the UK so will be easier for us to pop into downtown..