Landed on Sunday

Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

dgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the rough
Default Landed on Sunday

Hi

My wife and I arrived with my PR confirmation at montreal on Sunday and completed all the processes, it all took about 90mins and we had no problems other than with Customs.

My wife is a returning citizen having spent 2 years in the UK and I am British. When we came to customs we had to seperate our "goods to follow" list because they treat the two types in different ways with different restrtictions. All was sorted out and no tax or duty was paid. but it did slow things upa bit and increase the stress level.

opened a bank account OK
Started work OK, just need to open a NEW bank account because my employer does not deal with the one I have!!!!
No suchthing as free banking in Quebec....expect to pay $12-15 / month!!!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landed on Sunday

Congrats

Interesting re your experience with customs - our officer would not process 2 separate lists (we were also 1 returning citizen, 1 new PR with a list each) - he would only take 1 for the household
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink View Post
Congrats

Interesting re your experience with customs - our officer would not process 2 separate lists (we were also 1 returning citizen, 1 new PR with a list each) - he would only take 1 for the household
We also were 1 returning citizen and 1 new PR (me!).... we were told that as the new PR is allowed to import all personal belongings and there are some restrictions on returning citizens, to list all goods to follow under my name.... It just made life easier!

However, had I have been required to be present at an inspection I would have appeared to be a cross-dresser with a facination for high-heels and jewelry!.... But i'm sure that Canada discrimination laws would have protected me!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
We also were 1 returning citizen and 1 new PR (me!).... we were told that as the new PR is allowed to import all personal belongings and there are some restrictions on returning citizens, to list all goods to follow under my name.... It just made life easier!

However, had I have been required to be present at an inspection I would have appeared to be a cross-dresser with a facination for high-heels and jewelry!.... But i'm sure that Canada discrimination laws would have protected me!
congrats on landing n good luck with the rest...
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:04 am
I'm here somewhere

DSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bflava View Post
congrats on landing n good luck with the rest...
Congrats on your new life and good luck
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

dgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to everyone. The first week has been fun and busy. still dealing with customs and shipping....grrrrrr. slowly getting there.

made one mistake ... opened bank account and then found that my work compny did not participate in a scheme with that bank and so had to find a new bank... not bad for two days.

took 3 months health insurance through blue cross,,,, $1098 for me and my sweetheart. after that the company pays.

I had some fun when my new work sent me to the USA for a small project. US immigration could not figure out if I was British or Canadian and as I dont have a PR card yet it caused them some stress, fortunatly I took a copy of the "confirmation of permanant Residence" form and a copy of my QSC and this smoothed things over. finally admitted to the US as a british visitor for 90 days .