Landed as PR today

Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landed as PR today

Originally Posted by orly
That's how it's done. Canada, like the UK, tends to be a bit low key. You're just one of the many hundreds who land each and every day.

Your copy of the COPR letter is the important document. Do not lose it.
S'funny though, we were only expecting the Welcome to Canada bit after reading of it on here. It would have been a plus, but politeness would have been more welcome. Rude isn't low key, it's just, rude.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
There's really no need to be facetious. Surely if CBSA could manage a few pleasantries then the public might have a higher opinion of them? If that doesn't bother CBSA the how about people having a better opinion of Canada? It would make your job easier too, smiling, being nice to people. The majority of us aren't villains and there's really no need to treat us in such a cavalier manner.
Long weekend sense of humour failure To expect CBSA officers to be smiling all day when processing hundreds of passengers a day is not going to happen. I am courteous and polite and stern when needed.
You take my comments too seriously and therefore don't see the sarcasm/humour in which they are given.
Tonight in my office there will be 2 of us working and its a long weekend. I expect it to be busier than normal as the foreign students are now arriving. At some stage I will have an office full of people.
1st client might be a student wanting their study permit issuing but they have forgotten to print of their invitation letter with their details on it and their acceptance letter is on their smart phone whos battery has just run out.
2nd client might be a landing and they have come fully prepared.
3rd client might be the person coming to visit a friend but only knows their 1st name and doesnt know their address and is staying in a hotel but is really coming into work and doesnt have the paperwork required and is lying.
Starting to get the picture. I sometimes have to go from the big smile Welcome to Canada mood to the Sorry you cant come into Canada as you are lying all within the space of a few minutes so Im sorry if Im not smiling mood.
You are just one of hundreds and believe me some of our clients would try the patience of a saint.
I think you will find the vast majority of BSO's do their job professionally and this can be done with or without a smile as long as they are courteous and polite.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:16 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Long weekend sense of humour failure To expect CBSA officers to be smiling all day when processing hundreds of passengers a day is not going to happen. I am courteous and polite and stern when needed.
You take my comments too seriously and therefore don't see the sarcasm/humour in which they are given.
Tonight in my office there will be 2 of us working and its a long weekend. I expect it to be busier than normal as the foreign students are now arriving. At some stage I will have an office full of people.
1st client might be a student wanting their study permit issuing but they have forgotten to print of their invitation letter with their details on it and their acceptance letter is on their smart phone whos battery has just run out.
2nd client might be a landing and they have come fully prepared.
3rd client might be the person coming to visit a friend but only knows their 1st name and doesnt know their address and is staying in a hotel but is really coming into work and doesnt have the paperwork required and is lying.
Starting to get the picture. I sometimes have to go from the big smile Welcome to Canada mood to the Sorry you cant come into Canada as you are lying all within the space of a few minutes so Im sorry if Im not smiling mood.
You are just one of hundreds and believe me some of our clients would try the patience of a saint.
I think you will find the vast majority of BSO's do their job professionally and this can be done with or without a smile as long as they are courteous and polite.
My reaction was based on your usual comments about your job, hence I didn't detect any humour.

So my last working weekend I worked the evening shift, there were a few drunks, some stoners, a broken neck, a stubbed toe or two, some dementia, some body odour, I was coughe over a lot, vomit featured, some poo and pee of course, some internal injuries, some time wasters,some people who don't like having to wait and complain loudly. I got called back in the middle of the night, then again during the day, then back again for the evening shift for more of the same.

I don't always feel like smiling either
Old Aug 31st 2013, 1:48 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
S'funny though, we were only expecting the Welcome to Canada bit after reading of it on here. It would have been a plus, but politeness would have been more welcome. Rude isn't low key, it's just, rude.
Well the dude signing mine congratulated me on becoming a PR but it wasn't anything over the top. As it should be. This isn't America