Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landed Immigrant - 6 months period

Landed Immigrant - 6 months period

Old Jan 29th 2002, 6:19 am
Tayniat

Currently I am working in USA, and also have got Canadian Immigration
. Last year I landed as an immigrant in Canada. They told me that every year (i think
for the first 6 years) you have to stay at least 6 months in Canada. But I came
back to USA after few days of my landing. I did open my bank account and also got
the SIN number. Now the 6 months period is about to be over with in next few weeks.
I have few questions about all of this :-

1) Will it have any impact on my immigration status if I enter canada after that
time period?
2)How can I extend that period?
3)Can I apply for my spouse sponsorship being outside Canada?

Thanks all of you in advance for your time and suggestions.

Tayniat

Old Jan 29th 2002, 6:44 am
Andrew Miller

You don't understand the rules - current law clearly states that in order to
maintain your PR status you should reside in Canada for at least 183 days in any 12
months period (not a calendar year). Your situation is even more difficult as you
haven't established your permanent residency in Canada after landing (getting SIN
and opening bank account doesn't constitute establishing residency) and you left
Canada shortly after to continue working in US with no intention of quitting your US
job and moving permanently to Canada. You may have extreme difficulties maintaining
your PR status if you won't move permanently to Canada before 183 days period of
your absence lapses.

Period of allowed absence may be extended by obtaining RRP (Returning Resident
Permit), but such will not be issued in your particular case. Only those who have
established their permanent residence in Canada after landing and maintain their
residential, family, social and other substantial ties to Canada during absence may
have a chance for RRP, providing that they have an acceptable reason for such
absence. Working for foreign employer abroad is not acceptable reason for prolonged
absence from Canada.

And finally - as a Canadian PR you cannot sponsor anyone if you don't reside in
Canada, period. Only Canadian citizens are allowed to sponsor their spouses while
abroad, providing that they firmly declare their intention to move back to Canada
permanently after their spouses receive visas.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >