Landed at Calgary!

Old Jun 19th 2010, 2:41 am
bjg
Forum Regular

bjg has a brilliant futurebjg has a brilliant futurebjg has a brilliant futurebjg has a brilliant futurebjg has a brilliant futurebjg has a brilliant future
Default Landed at Calgary!

Hi all, I just thought I'd give you a short account of our landing experience.....
Me and the wife landed Yesterday at about 19.45, giving us two hours until our connecting flight to Kelowna. We hoped that two hours to get through was enough time.
Enough time?!! We were all done and dusted in a little under half an hour!
Passport control.....
We put on a fair lick of speed on our way to passport control and found ourselves at the front of the queue. Result!
We handed in our passports and landing card (the one you fill out on the plane), to the IO, and explained we were landing. She scribbled a few things on said card, looked at our passports and sent us off to the immigration office (almost immediately behind passport control).
Immigration office...
We had dreamed of being sent to that glass fronted mecca for about four years!
Again we were virtually the front of the queue (I suppose from now on it should be "line up") and were soon called to the next IO. This Guy was really nice and immediately calmed our beating hearts with his friendliness. There have been reports of less than friendly IO's but this guy even smiled!
He asked to see our passports which he scanned and wrote in (putting a line through our shiny visas!) and then asked for COPR's. He wrote various things on them, got us to sign them, disassembled them and stapled one copy into our passports.
He then asked how much money we were bringing into Canada . We gave him the figure and he nodded wrote and it down but didn't want to see any bank statements or proof! (even though we offered)
He then asked for an address to send the PR cards to. We explained that we were only here for a few weeks and had to go back to the UK to sell our house, so gave him a friends address. When we told him that the friend was going to post our PR cards to us, he said that CIC didn't like PR cards being posted abroad. We then said that we would pick the cards up from the friend when we return, and asked if we would we have any trouble entering without PR cards?He said that they would rather you had your card on you, but if you didn't it would just mean a short visit to the immigration office in the airport just to confirm who you are etc. Whew!!
He handed our passports back to us, congratulated us on being permanent residents then sent us to baggage reclaim to declare our goods to follow/accompanying.
We were directed to an area sort of behind baggage reclaim where we saw another really friendly and chatty IO.
She glanced at our goods accompanying list (it was very small, we only had hand luggage) and then asked for our goods to follow list.(The lists were just spread sheets and not the official B4 form. We supplied two copies). She read through it and attached it to a form which she subsequently filled out and asked the principle applicant to sign.
Again we were congratulated on our PR status and welcomed to Canada!
That was it!! After three years of blood, sweat, and tears it was done!
We are now Permanent Residents of Canada! Yipee!
As I said the whole process took approx half hour, the IO's were great and it was genuinely a pain free experience. Needless to say we easily caught our flight to Kelowna!
I hope this (slightly long!) account of our landing will help those of you about to do the same. Hang in there you've almost made it......!
Cheers, bjg.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: Landed at Calgary!

Nice account and similar to ours in Calgary recently. I think it is more of a relief than joy at first.

Our PR cards were sent to a friend who has used UPS to courier them to us, at present the tracking says that they are on the way from east midlands airport to swansea - - so I expect them to be here by Monday.

Best of luck

JET
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

We had a similar experience in December - now only 4 weeks to moving YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Poppit
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:55 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

fantastic! congrats!!
we got our medical requests today & i am so happy i could faint

i have a question please... once you get your permanent residence visa, how much time do you have to land before it expires?

thx
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:22 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
fantastic! congrats!!
we got our medical requests today & i am so happy i could faint

i have a question please... once you get your permanent residence visa, how much time do you have to land before it expires?

thx
You need to activate the visa before your medical certificate or passport expires. Whichever is sooner.

Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Colocally is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a great feeling to finally land and it all go well. I had about an hour I think between flights at Toronto and easily made it through. The landing was the thing that scared me the most especially as I didn't have a huge amount of time, but couldn't have wished for a better experience.
It was so good to walk to the domestic flight to Vancouver knowing I was now a PR.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:10 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo
You need to activate the visa before your medical certificate or passport expires. Whichever is sooner.

thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:21 am
Just Joined

BKNBKN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bjg
Hi all, I just thought I'd give you a short account of our landing experience.....
Me and the wife landed Yesterday at about 19.45, giving us two hours until our connecting flight to Kelowna. We hoped that two hours to get through was enough time.
Enough time?!! We were all done and dusted in a little under half an hour!
Passport control.....
We put on a fair lick of speed on our way to passport control and found ourselves at the front of the queue. Result!
We handed in our passports and landing card (the one you fill out on the plane), to the IO, and explained we were landing. She scribbled a few things on said card, looked at our passports and sent us off to the immigration office (almost immediately behind passport control).
Immigration office...
We had dreamed of being sent to that glass fronted mecca for about four years!
Again we were virtually the front of the queue (I suppose from now on it should be "line up") and were soon called to the next IO. This Guy was really nice and immediately calmed our beating hearts with his friendliness. There have been reports of less than friendly IO's but this guy even smiled!
He asked to see our passports which he scanned and wrote in (putting a line through our shiny visas!) and then asked for COPR's. He wrote various things on them, got us to sign them, disassembled them and stapled one copy into our passports.
He then asked how much money we were bringing into Canada . We gave him the figure and he nodded wrote and it down but didn't want to see any bank statements or proof! (even though we offered)
He then asked for an address to send the PR cards to. We explained that we were only here for a few weeks and had to go back to the UK to sell our house, so gave him a friends address. When we told him that the friend was going to post our PR cards to us, he said that CIC didn't like PR cards being posted abroad. We then said that we would pick the cards up from the friend when we return, and asked if we would we have any trouble entering without PR cards?He said that they would rather you had your card on you, but if you didn't it would just mean a short visit to the immigration office in the airport just to confirm who you are etc. Whew!!
He handed our passports back to us, congratulated us on being permanent residents then sent us to baggage reclaim to declare our goods to follow/accompanying.
We were directed to an area sort of behind baggage reclaim where we saw another really friendly and chatty IO.
She glanced at our goods accompanying list (it was very small, we only had hand luggage) and then asked for our goods to follow list.(The lists were just spread sheets and not the official B4 form. We supplied two copies). She read through it and attached it to a form which she subsequently filled out and asked the principle applicant to sign.
Again we were congratulated on our PR status and welcomed to Canada!
That was it!! After three years of blood, sweat, and tears it was done!
We are now Permanent Residents of Canada! Yipee!
As I said the whole process took approx half hour, the IO's were great and it was genuinely a pain free experience. Needless to say we easily caught our flight to Kelowna!
I hope this (slightly long!) account of our landing will help those of you about to do the same. Hang in there you've almost made it......!
Cheers, bjg.
PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL. NEED INFO ON PERM. RES.