Laddo's questions about TWP's

Old Mar 25th 2015, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

laddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Laddo's questions about TWP's

Hi all,

So here's the update (and its not good!). I received an email this morning from an Organization in Canada which contained the following:

"I’m writing to confirm that we will not be able to assist you in your efforts to relocate to Canada. As discussed, the government has stringent rules about the recruitment and hiring of foreign workers. Permission to do so must first be granted by the government and that permission is based, to a large extent, on our organization being able to show that it could not recruit for the position within Canada. Unfortunately, we would not be able to show that and therefore would not be successful in getting approval to hire you into this position."

Obviously, this left me a tad disappointed to say the least (that's the understatement of the year, well certainly my year). I was shocked, stunned, and it hasn't really sunk in, even though the kind folks (christmasoompa and doubleym) on here warned me that this could very well be the case I didn't expect this at all.

I especially didn't expect this as the HR department knew that I was British when I put in my application for an open job advertised on their website. And knew I liked in the UK, when they arranged a Skype Interview, and knew I wasn't Canadian when they discussed on an email my likely salary!! You get the point lol.

The last contact I had with the company was when I agreed to the annual salary (verbally just a fortnight ago), and they agreed to pay for a one way flight to Toronto. So this is why this has stunned me.

Now I need your help (if possible), is there any option for me? I don't give up on things easily, especially not on something I've been working on for over 18 months, and especially not on a longstanding dream of mine.

I believe what the HR department says, I understand it, but this sounds like its come straight out of their rulebook. Is there a way around this, can they (if they want) convince the province that I bring skills that the locals don't have. Remember this whole move was sold to me 2 years ago because this organization has a skill shortage, in my area of expertise. Hence why I passed the interview, and ultimately got offered a job ahead of other candidates (all based in Canada). Is there anything they can do? (if they wanted to).

If they can't convince the powers that be that a LMIA is applicable in my case or can't be bothered, and that route in blocked. Is there another way, however remote in terms of chances, or lengthy in terms of application process I can look to go down. Is there a way to get a visa/permit which will allow me to work in Canada for this organization. Is the permanent residency an option? Or not cos of no LMIA, regardless of my high points scoring potential.

Or am I forced to totally give up on me Canada dream??

Tell me straight folks, but please go a little easy on me as I'm pretty delicate right now lol.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not giving up that easily

L
Old Mar 25th 2015, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough

Just look into PR via the Express Entry route, as proven by the most recent draw it's perfectly possible to get selected without an LMIA approved job offer.

It sounds like you may score well on the CRS points system, without an LMIA to get you a TWP just go straight for PR.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if there are any differences between Ontario and BC, my company applied for and obtained an LMO (precurser to LMIA - has to be done by the company) but I at the same time applied for and achieved Provincial Nomination (has to be done by you, with the companies support) - which gets you a work permit support letter and therefore gets you into the country, where you can then work on your PR application.
Having said that, I did this last year, prior to the new Express Entry system, so I don't know if this has changed.

For sure, you are not getting into the country, legally, to work without either LMIA (which you have said you wont get) or PNP (which you might) the way you are hoping.

Definitely look into the PNP route, unless this has changed significantly since I got mine, it could be the fastest way for you to get in.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear this.

Originally Posted by laddo
I believe what the HR department says, I understand it, but this sounds like its come straight out of their rulebook. Is there a way around this, can they (if they want) convince the province that I bring skills that the locals don't have. Remember this whole move was sold to me 2 years ago because this organization has a skill shortage, in my area of expertise. Hence why I passed the interview, and ultimately got offered a job ahead of other candidates (all based in Canada). Is there anything they can do? (if they wanted to).
Only if they want to, but it doesn't sound as though they do. If you want to use this job offer to get a TWP, then the only option is either LMIA or PNP as mentioned above - but from what you've said, neither are going to happen.

Originally Posted by laddo
If they can't convince the powers that be that a LMIA is applicable in my case or can't be bothered, and that route in blocked. Is there another way, however remote in terms of chances, or lengthy in terms of application process I can look to go down. Is there a way to get a visa/permit which will allow me to work in Canada for this organization. Is the permanent residency an option? Or not cos of no LMIA, regardless of my high points scoring potential.
PR may be an option, but are they willing to wait for you? As you couldn't work for them until you get PR as they're not willing to help you with a TWP. You'd need to see if what you score on the CRS for Express Entry, and see if that's likely to get you picked from the pool without a job offer.

Personally, I wouldn't want to work for a company that isn't prepared to help you with the visa application at all, but maybe that's just me!

So you've basically got two options - get yourself over there on your own merits and without using this job offer as it won't count without a LMIA or PNP (so if you're eligible for EE), or find another job offer and then use that.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac
Definitely look into the PNP route, unless this has changed significantly since I got mine, it could be the fastest way for you to get in.
As I mentioned above, the ON PNP has a higher fee than LMIA's, and is also more onerous on the employer, so if the OP's potential employer won't do the LMIA application, I really can't see them going to more expense and trouble of a PNP app.

BC PNP processing times are here btw, just so you can see how they've increased since you applied - Welcome BC - Express Entry British Columbia
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Once again thanks, I really appreciate it.

Not looked into PR option yet (as I never thought I had to until the bombshell email) but there is no rush in getting me over there, they are flexible with the start date so I guess its an option if the TWP/LMIA route isn't an option. But I agree, do I want to join a company that aren't as keen as me or prepared to make it happen?!? Good point!

Anyway I've asked an interesting question to a non (HR) person at the Organization, and will now do nothing for a couple of weeks and await their investigation in my query. I will have an update good (or more likely) or bad the next time I speak to my man on the inside. Either way at least I'll know where I stand.

Until then..... as always fingers crossed.

L
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck.
Bear in mind, that even if they DO want to do the LMIA or the PNP, youre talking months. Last year, my it took my company 6 months to get the LMO and my PNP took about the same (I have both). Don't know current processing times, but I have heard they could be even longer.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Hmmm I was told 2-3 months when in the UK, but right now it doesn't look like it matters if its 2 months or 20 months!! lol. I need to still try and get the company onside before I worry about start dates.

Thanks for the best wishes. I'll be back in a couple of weeks with an update...... hopefully