kids citizenship

Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids citizenship

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
Officially at least, Passports Canada want a CIC document proving Canadian citizenship.
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/section4.as...=international

Unofficially, they may be more flexible in the case of children where an application for a citizenship certificate has been made and there is prima facie evidence that the child is Canadian.

Actually Operation Bulletin 154 covers the topic. Limited validity passport for children under 2 and facilitation visa for children under 18.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob154.asp
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know officialdom in every country moves in mysterious ways. but why wouldn't they? The Canadian parent's birth certificate will say that s/he was born in Canada (assuming s/he was).
The point is that that's not enough for a regular passport application for a child born outside Canada.

They usually want either a Canadian birth certificate (for the child) or a Canadian citizenship certificate (for the child). Since the child was born outside Canada, it obviously won't have a Canadian birth certificate. So the only acceptable proof of citizenship is therefore a Canadian citizenship certificate (which the poster who got a temporary passport for his child didn't have).

It may be that they relax the normal rules in the case of a child born outside Canada to a Canadian parent and will issue a temporary passport in this case (assuming the parent can prove their own Canadian citizenship). I'm just interested in the procedure in this scenario since no passport application forms I've seen deals with this.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Actually Operation Bulletin 154 covers the topic. Limited validity passport for children under 2 and facilitation visa for children under 18.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob154.asp
Aha! Thank you. That's what I was looking for.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Novo - there is no problem with that in practice.

The lack of the documents that they specify that you "must" supply is what makes it a special circumstance that requires an application in person, rather than the usual process of applying by mail.

The fact that it's considered a temporary "emergency" passport is why it's only valid for 1 year, initially, but we were able to extend their validity to 5 years once we were in Canada (and had the boys' Citizenship Certificates) rather than paying full price for new passports.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Aha! Thank you. That's what I was looking for.
Yes, but the "facilitation visa" part (if the existing child is of the relevant age, as I'm not referring to the bit about under 2s) could not going to apply in the OP's case unless they're leaving in the next week or so, as:

"The person must be unable to obtain a new, replacement or emergency Canadian passport in a sufficiently timely fashion and the travel must be urgent. "
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pete_hyde
another bit of help i need, my fiancee is canadian, applying for my PR. we have sent off for our daughters citizensship cert. and have another baby on way due april. if there citizenship certs arent back by time we leave for canada, hopefully late this year. then are they ok to travel on british passports as long as we show proof that there citizenship is being processed ??
I wouldn't worry about getting Temp passports. As you know, they have to be under 2 years of age anyway. Other people on here have phoned and asked for a rush on citizenship certificate applications that have already been sent. Just do that for your daughter's.

When your new baby arrives in April, send off the application for the certificate for him/her with a cover letter explaining why you want it rushed. Make sure you put 'Urgent' on the envelope as well. We did this for our kids as we are planning to go in June this year. They sent a letter back with the supporting documents telling us that it was being rushed.

Hope that helps.